Where can you dive with good vis w/out boat dive in or around Long Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRAZYBOBC

Reaction score
I know may seem crazy but I was certified in Aruba, I am looking for a close experience say 2-3 hours the most from Long Island (driving not flying). I know about DS I was looking for other alternatives, w/out boat diving. Tried Beach 8Th St. last season vis was 6 inchs (not joking).

CRAZYBOBC:
I know may seem crazy but I was certified in Aruba, I am looking for a close experience say 2-3 hours the most from Long Island (driving not flying). I know about DS I was looking for other alternatives, w/out boat diving. Tried Beach 8Th St. last season vis was 6 inchs (not joking).

Usually the Ponoquogue bridge has great vis. Slack tide only, the currents are very fast. You can also try secret beach in southold.

CRAZYBOBC:
Viz for LI shore dives and even in-shore wrecks can vary wildly so i wouldn't write off Beach 8th after just one dive, nor would i hope for Aruba viz either. Talk to your LDS or check out Dan Berg's Shore Diver book.

CRAZYBOBC:

the inshore sites vary greatly depending on the tides, if they are dredging the beaches, and how recent storms passed. Average viz around beach 8th st during HIGH tide is usually 5-10ft during the day and usually better at night..

I have seen viz at beach 8th/6th street exceed 25ft but rare...

The best dives entering at beach 6th st then drift to the atlantic beach bridge and do an hour at the bridge.. you must be in the water about 1.2 hour before high tide, you dive the bridge during slack, and the tide change brings you back..

Depends on what you mean by good vis. Face it this is the North East not the carib.

There are some spots where you can get about 10 - 15 vis on shore dives. Any area where there is a sandy bottom, especially closer to shore, isn't going to have the greates vis. Probably the best area for vis in our area is some of the spots on the North shore of LI, due to the large rocks in some areas.

Back
Top Bottom