New Cave-deep cave dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andibk

Contributor
Reaction score
Left home about a week ago, headed south of Bangkok. Spent a few days checking out cave locations. Found one excellent cave that had beautiful stalagtites. Bottom depth was around 28 meters and we layed a few reels worth of line. This was one of the best caves I have dove in here in Asia. It looks like we could have spent a few more days checking out all the different holes but we where on a tight schedule. On are way out on the long tail we spotted alot of other possibilities for descent caves.
After diving there we drove a few more hours south and dove another cave system that was known to be quite deep. On the dives here we used a Evolution, Meg and a MK15.5 plus staging tanks all the way down. First day we went down to 80 meters, first part of the dive you had to be real carefull not to silt things up. The first 30 meters of the dive there is some silt but the deeper you get the less silt and better viz you get. Second day I got to 116 meters, Cedric and DrMike got to 127 before calling it quites. Mike had started to add line where the old line left off at 120 meters. Third day the other two left first and got all the way to 145 meters, no place to tie off that could be seen. I tagged along behind those guys and met them on there way up at around 122 meters. Amazing how clear the water was at that depth, the other amazing part is how large the room actually was. Will have to waite and see what tomorrow brings.

andibk

andibk:
Left home about a week ago, headed south of Bangkok. Spent a few days checking out cave locations. Found one excellent cave that had beautiful stalagtites. Bottom depth was around 28 meters and we layed a few reels worth of line. This was one of the best caves I have dove in here in Asia. It looks like we could have spent a few more days checking out all the different holes but we where on a tight schedule. On are way out on the long tail we spotted alot of other possibilities for descent caves.
After diving there we drove a few more hours south and dove another cave system that was known to be quite deep. On the dives here we used a Evolution, Meg and a MK15.5 plus staging tanks all the way down. First day we went down to 80 meters, first part of the dive you had to be real carefull not to silt things up. The first 30 meters of the dive there is some silt but the deeper you get the less silt and better viz you get. Second day I got to 116 meters, Cedric and DrMike got to 127 before calling it quites. Mike had started to add line where the old line left off at 120 meters. Third day the other two left first and got all the way to 145 meters, no place to tie off that could be seen. I tagged along behind those guys and met them on there way up at around 122 meters. Amazing how clear the water was at that depth, the other amazing part is how large the room actually was. Will have to waite and see what tomorrow brings.

andibk

man that sound like some serious stuff. id love to join you guys unfortunately i am not trained for hardcore stuff like this. you guys went all out with your gear. would have loved to see the mk15 in action. i dream of cavediving one of these days. its the reason why i started diving. btw where exactly was the cave located? man 127 m? thats approx 400feet:)

I was doing a cave dive in Coron last June. Thought I saw an footprint of a dino-like thing in the sand bank and couldn't get to my pal with the UW cam on time to get a photo. Am sure I was NOT getting narc'd, wasn't deep, but in that odd light ...hmmm...

Anyway, I kind of hate finning about in a UW cave (despite having primary and secondary lights) because I might bump into some blind cave monster left over from some prehistoric time, though meeting a coelacanth would be great!
PS: Do NOT watch "The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black" (Vin Diesel movie) if you plan to dive a cave! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom