Need Philippines Visa extension info/help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am a US citizen and visited the PI for parts of this past Jan/Feb and did my scuba diving in Cebu and Bohol. My stay was within the 59 day visa limit.

My situation:
I am in the preliminary stages of planning a return trip to the PI for this coming Sep/Oct/Nov starting my diving in the Puerta Galera and Sabang areas.
My dilema is the Visa extension. 59 days is the max stay with a pre-departure visa from a Philippine Consulate. Extensions are issued only in-country at immigration offices.

My problem:
Immigration offices seem to be few and far between from what I have been able to learn so far. The website link to their locations is not working. My internet research tells me in-country travel agents can aslo obtain visa extensions as your physical presence at an immigration office is not necessarily required. I have not been able to determine if that requires designated agencies. I may or may not spend all 3 months in Mindoro. I may go back to Bohol and over to Leyte or other location(s). Regardless of my agenda I would like to find a means to extend the visa without having to fly or ferry to a major city. Of course if there is no other solution then I would have to work that trip into my itinerary.

My Question:
What is the easiest way to get an extension, if there is one? Can anyone here give me the name of travel agents or other authorized agencies that can get me a visa extension in locations like Sabang and Puerta Galera (Mindoro), Alona Beach (Bohol), Panagsama Beach (Cebu) and Leyte.

All suggestions are greatlty appreciated.

cbborromeo:
Call the Philippine consulate in LA (closest to you?) to ask what the best option is in your circumstances. http://www.pcgenla.org/

If they give you an unsatisfactory answer, call to the Consul General's office in New York: http://www.pcgny.net/

The only answer available from the Embassy in Washington D.C. or the Consulate in Honolulu is that it is out of their control as Philippine law only allows them to issue 59 day visas. All extensions have to be dealt with in-country.

I have had visa extensions taken care of a couple of times using travel agencies in Sabang. They take it to the immigration office in Calapan for the extension. I would plan on not having it back for two weeks, although it should take less time. You are given the extension from the date your original visa expires, not the date it is processed. So there is no reason to wait until the last minute to take care of it. It is very easy to do.

If you get the 59 day predeparture visa you will only need 1 extension for a 3 month trip. After you have been in Puerto Galera about a month, just send off your passport for the extension and then you will be covered for the rest of your trip.

A reminder of something a lot of people tend to forget, be sure to make a photocopy of the main page of the passport before you hand it off to someone.

Kupu:
I have had visa extensions taken care of a couple of times using travel agencies in Sabang. They take it to the immigration office in Calapan for the extension. I would plan on not having it back for two weeks, although it should take less time. You are given the extension from the date your original visa expires, not the date it is processed. So there is no reason to wait until the last minute to take care of it. It is very easy to do.

If you get the 59 day predeparture visa you will only need 1 extension for a 3 month trip. After you have been in Puerto Galera about a month, just send off your passport for the extension and then you will be covered for the rest of your trip.

66.jpg

That's what I needed to know.

Gilligan:
The only answer available from the Embassy in Washington D.C. or the Consulate in Honolulu is that it is out of their control as Philippine law only allows them to issue 59 day visas. All extensions have to be dealt with in-country.

i'll try to check with some travel industry friends here what's the best way to go about your problem. will keep you posted.

gilligan, good to know you'll be back. Whatever you do, DO NOT GO TO THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE IN MANILA. That place is a zoo with ridiculously long lines and waits plus they won't let you in unless you are wearing pants and closed heel shoes. Follow Kupu's advice and go to the offices in the tourist destinations where they make it painless for you. As he points out, you can pay travel agencies to do it for you.

and thanks for making this thread - it reminded me to renew my passport. :)

Back
Top Bottom