Surfing spots in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, realize I am spending way too much of my vacations strictly diving. After spending a brief time in Maui for a wedding earlier this month, I got to sneak out for a bit and caught a few small waves... forgot how much fun surfing is (even as bad as I am...). Now I could always sneak off to Bali, but I've heard there are supposedly some nice waves in the PI. Does anyone know where are the good spots, how accessible are the locations, do they rent boards, and what's the best time to go...?:D

La Union (about 3 hrs North of Subic, just above baguio), Surigao (North West Mindinao), and Catanduanes (Bicol Region) are the 3 places that come to mind.

La Union and Surigao are pretty developed as surfing havens (rentals & lessons). Catanduanes is pretty much untouched and underdeveloped. The waves are small in La Union. So I'd chose Surigao.

chip104:
Catanduanes is pretty much untouched and underdeveloped.

one of the PPD stays at Virac Catanduanes- ALEX . their family(close relative) owns a hotel there. so if you may want to try their backyard just post and we'll have him post here.

i may be going to their place in virac, catanduanes to do some on site training for Alex DM course.

also they will be having two air compressors there (currently they have 1)

thanks guys for the info! compressor! nooo... I wanna leave my diving gear at home..

7 hrs drive from Manila? :shocked: Bali is starting to sound better... How far is it from Laoag (There is a direct flight from HK to Laoag).

Edit: Siargao looks interesting... I forgot that's where the famous Cloud 9 break is... Think I remember them hosting some int'l surf events.

pakman:
7 hrs drive from Manila? :shocked: Bali is starting to sound better... How far is it from Laoag (There is a direct flight from HK to Laoag).
Bali in Oct for the photo shoot.. 1 week surf, 1 week photo with Mike, Dennis, and Larry and Catherine...

You know you want to... :wink:

Do it Mike...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom