Coron vs Subic vs Puerto Galera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Me and my buddy are planning to fly to the land of the PPD November 18th and get kicked out by 2nd of December, which is about 2 weeks worth of diving...We are wreckdivers and are looking to do some technical dives as well...

So I´ve read about onfloats experience with Johans (which is the op in Subic I´m considering), DiverDennis recommendation of Puerto Galara and the PPD-trip to Coron...

It´s pretty clear to me that there´s a lot of great diving in the Phillipines...

This is the way I look at the different resorts but I´d like your input:
-Subic: Lots of wrecks! :D (maybe you can take pictures of nudibranchs etc as well?) And affordable...A bit worried about Johan after onfloats "report"...
-Puerto Galara: Not so many wrecks :shakehead but lots of cool naturedives :coffee: More expensive than Subic...
-Coron: Some good wrecks and some unique divesites...only nitrox though (?)...don´t really know about prices but looks reasonable judging from the website (dddivers)

So what do you think? Does the time of year (late november) effect where the best diving is?

Any input would be great as I only have the internet to help me make some decisions...

hey grazie... november weather should be fairly decent overall

on your summaries:

SUBIC: twomixdiver knows johan personally and says he's very professional - not to naysay onfloat but maybe twomix can give you johan's side of the argument... but if you want to do real tech wreck dives it's in subic... definitely

PG: of the 3 it gives you your widest options for dives - from shallow nudi dives to macho deep tech dives... so if you plan on parking in 1 spot and diving for 2 weeks i'd reco PG anyday (it's also easy to cross to anilao for more diving options)

CORON: absolutely gorgeous place but the diving is not as good or rich as PG/anilao... the viz isn't crystal but the recks are mostly w/in rec limits so nitrox is pretty much all you need at most

hope this helps

Jag

Yohan's not a bad guy... Quirky personality but I wouldn't say he's a jerk. I've been to Yohan's twice and haven't had any problems and would recommend the place to other. Other than the high price of helium in Subic, the dive prices aren't that bad. And to be honest, most of the dives are within 30m and you'll be fine with nitrox in your doubles. You'll love the penetration dives on the USS New York. Since you and your friend are wreck fans, you definitely should put either Coron and Subic on your list! PG would be great place to stop through if you guys planned any additional tech training as there are number of top notch instructors based there. If you do go, I highly recommend doing a deep dive on Verde Island. Nice perspective from 60m! And you can always mix it up and enjoy the fun recreational dives (some great drift dives). Subic and PG, you can get to from Manila via by land and sea. Coron, you'll have to fly out to Busuanga. But the wrecks are awesome there as well and as Jag said, really nice topside scenery.

I would recommend doing Subic or Coron AND then Puerto Galera or even all 3 in 2 weeks!

It would be a shame to miss out on Coron as a wreck diver. I was there last November for a few weeks and the weather was mostly good, a few cloudy days and 1 day the diving was called because of a typhoon in the area, otherwise sunshine. Vis was usually 7-10 meters around the wrecks which was fine since better vis isnt really needed when your inside the wrecks. I was told the pearl farms in the area have a big impact on the vis, before they came into the area it was clearer water. A trip up to North Busuanga to dive the Kyokuzan Maru is worth the effort if it can be arranged.

I have only done a couple of dives in Subic, unfortunately the USS New York was off limits when I was there due the SEA games. But I plan on going back to see more. In early December last year the weather was perfect, vis about 10 meters.

Since you are focused on wreck dives maybe go to Coron 1st for about 5 days, then over to Subic for another 4-5 days. PG would be a great way to wrap up the trip if you have seen enough of Subic and have a few days left.

I'm trying to decide between Subic and Coron for a long weekend of wreck diving in November and can't really find too much information comparing the two. From what I've been able to read, Subic is more accessable and has better nightlife but Coron is more scenic. Can I get some advice?

Subic Bay is a quite large "industrial" area.
Busuanga and Coron is Province. Very beautiful scenery and great wreck dives from beginner level to advanced wreck. Offers also very unique dive sites like Barracuda Lake and Cathedral.
And I hear there is some night life too!

Thanks, gunter. Any other opinions out there? I'm mostly interested in how the diving compares and if the extra hassle of getting to Coron is worth it.

Also, I've heard that access to the USS New York wreck is limited when there are military operations in the area. I can't seem to find a calendar online. Anyone know where I can track down that info?

I went to the Philippines this summer and hit 5 dive sites in 5 weeks. I didn't make it to Subic but would fly all the way back to dive Coron with Discover Resorts again. It was amazing. Maybe not the color and macro of Anillao, but the two are not comparible. The wrecks are up to 450 ft long sleeping giants lying in 100ft+ of water - I'm not a technical diver but still found them incredible to drop into. And for the technical diver there are so many little dark passages leadinginto somewhere. Many of the decks are teaming with fish & life.

Also really enjoyed Anilao & Apo island which offer beautiful coral & loads of tropical fish.

Compared to the other outrageous diving, didn't really see the appeal of PG, except the party scene - if that's what you're into & the exciting Canyons dive.

Have fun!

Last edited:
If your passion is wrecks I suggest you slate both Coron and Subic into your dive plans. The wrecks in Coron are outstanding as Gunter points out, he has a beautiful island resort getaway that is very scenic indeed, just google Coron wrecks for more specific info. Subic is only 2 1/2 hour drive from Manila via SCTEX and the conditions in November are usually very good. In answer to your query the USS New York is accessible now most all the time, inclement weather forbidding when storm signal 1 is raised. Unfortunately the ORYOKO and SEIN MARU are off limits due to the proximity of Alava pier and when US Naval Vessels are berthed in port, (security reasons). Subic wreck specifics are plentiful on the net as well, hope this helps

For a long weekend only?...I'd choose Subic. I tried doing Coron over a weekend and was kinda bummed I didn't stay longer. The next time I went to Coron, I spent 8 days which was awesome. Even then, I could have stayed longer and experienced even more.

Then again, the weather is being pretty crappy right now so Coron is looking pretty worth it. :)

Back
Top Bottom