Subic!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F UNit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'm planning a on a quick trip to the lovely PI's in December, was thinking of getting down to Coron to see the wrecks, but a combination of brokeness and not many holiday days left at work, I've decided to go to Subic Bay instead.

I'm heading over with 2 mates, 2 of us AOW, 1 DM, all hoping to dive as much as we can, around 4 dives a day if we can squeeze them in.

What are people on here's experiences with Subic? I've read through previous threads, so I know there are mixed reports about Johan's there, but I'm looking at 3 resorts -

Johan's : http://www.subicdive.com/
Master Dive : http://master-dive.com/index.htm
Blue Rock : http://www.bluerocksubic.com/index.html

I think basically we will go with the shop that can sort our the best dive/accomodation deal for us, but firstly I wanted to see if any of you PPDers have any advice about particular shops, where to stay etc. to make this trip both a) cheap, and b) awesome.

Thanks again!!
F

I'd say, since it looks like you guys will likely just being doing rec level dives, stay at blue rock (nicer rooms, restaurant, bar) and do the dives there. If you were planning to do more technical stuff, I'd recommend Johan as the man to go to... Plus he's got some secret gps points that other shops don't necessarily have as well as helium ($$$$$$)...

Also Blue Rock and Johan's are pretty close to each other.

Cheers Pakman - yep you're right - just will be sticking to recreational limits under 40m, hopefully that's enough to see some good stuff there.
Probably will try and do the PADI wreck speciality course so we can get a bit more out of the wrecks there - from people's write-ups Subic sounds good.

Drive a few miles north to the old San Miguel Communications Station and dive the Islas Capones. Maraming Maserap!!!!

Thanks Tom - what sort of diving is at Islas Capones? Wrecks? Reefs?
- I can't wait to get over there

I think johann's has lower dive rates than blue rock. at least it was when i went there last year.

OT: For day trippers, you guys know the cheapest resort we can get dives for? Below 20USD? I've been wanting to go there for a day trip.

By the way, how do I get to johans? Is that in the naval base (boardwalk area) or outside in olongapo?

johanns is on the beach outside the base. blue rock is near the entrance to the beach while johanns is a bit further down. i think he charges about 20USD per dive. cheapest i know of.

Thanks for the information guys - now a couple more questions...

Can anyone reccomend any cool non-diving places, pubs, bars, restaurants etc? - We all need places to hang out in between dives! Cool places to have a few laid back beers, a bit of pool, stuff like that?

Thanks again :cheers:

F UNit:
Thanks for the information guys - now a couple more questions...

Can anyone reccomend any cool non-diving places, pubs, bars, restaurants etc? - We all need places to hang out in between dives! Cool places to have a few laid back beers, a bit of pool, stuff like that?

Thanks again :cheers:

Yohan's is got a pool table. I forget if blue rock has one. Also, Blue Rock has that floating bar in front of their beach...

For evenings... ahem... If you take a tricycle or walk up the side street up to main street (Nat'l Highway?) and turn right (heading twds Subic Bay), there are a bunch of bars around the area. I forget the names... I think Mango's had a good restaurant and an adjoining "gogo" bar called Rock Lobster with pool tables... Midnight Rambler usually has an OK local band playing. Across the main st from Mangos, you'll find a bunch of gogo bars varying from total dumps to newer/ cleaner ones.

Of course, I only know all this from second hand sources...:wink: I was asleep at Johan's by 8pm... I promise...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom