Money changing in Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Edzen accepts UK Pounds travellers cheques?

Also, would the rate be much better if i exchanged US cash vs UK travellers cheques? I'm trying to decide which is the better value & better form of money to take to the Manila for 2 weeks of travel.

Is Edzen the best place to change Travellers Cheques??

Taxis from the airport...are they metered??

I'd avoid travellers checks as you get really bad rates on them. If possible, cash is best and you shouldn't have any problems converting GBP (so why waste money converting to USD if you're gonna convert again to PHP). There are always ATM's where your overseas card will work (Cirrus and Plus networks) but the daily withdrawal limit might be an issue. Although, I think in general you'll get a better exchange rate with money changers vs banks.

can't remember intl. airport. last time i went up to the departure level and got a taxi. just tell the driver to operate the meter.

taxis are not metered if you look like a foreigner and speak no tagalog. So, i just wish you good luck, and hope you get a good and honest driver :D

now. . . . unless your hotel has a shuttle or pick up service for a fee. you may wanna inquire about that first if it's your first time going here.

yup, the taxis at manila international airport have their own horrendous rates for dropping you to your location of choice. cebu and davao intl airport rates for taxi are tolerable though, nothing as horrific as manila's.

Don't scare him guys...but before you go out of the airport, exchange some of your GBP at the LandBank Branch in the airport. DOn't have them get changed by customs personnel, if you do try to get the name and please pm the name to me. Serious, I'll have AMLC pick them up.

Swistrav's suggestion is ok, go up to departure area and hail a cab, otherwise have your hotel in Manila arrange a pick up.

Hi caloy, is there anything they can do about credit card firms converting overseas purchases at 2 pesos over the prevailing rate? bought something from amazon and was pissed that i had to pay p3000 more for the laptop because of citibank's artificial conversion rate.

Avoid bringing travelers checks, if possible. As pakman has said, you get bad rates and they will ding you with a 3% transaction fee. If you do bring travelers checks, I'd look into American Express office, they're rates were competitive.
As for taking a cab from the airport, I'd follow what swisstrav's advice, that's what I would do.

jigo:
Hi caloy, is there anything they can do about credit card firms converting overseas purchases at 2 pesos over the prevailing rate? bought something from amazon and was pissed that i had to pay p3000 more for the laptop because of citibank's artificial conversion rate.
you mean P52? none, Jigo. It was something you agreed to when you first signed your credit card application/agreement...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom