OW Course in Bohol. Good choice or not? Please advice. Thanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gif

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm planning the trip to Bohol, and I'd like to take the OW Course at that time. I know some world class dive sites locate around there. However, I also found that depth of the most of the sites is around 30-40 meters or even more. Is taking OW course in Bohol a good choice for an beginner without any diving experience?

Thanks,

Geoffrey

The water is warm and clear, so that's a big plus. The rest depends on the instructor and your natural diving ability and comfort in the water. I'm sure they have some shallow sites there to start off with, and if you feel comfortable and the DM's feel comfortable with you, then you can check out the deeper sites.

Now some dive operators have no problem taking (new) open water divers to 30m or 40m sites whereas others will require that you to have an advanced open water and/or a deep specialty card, so try to find out ahead of time what the dive operator's policy is.

*Floater*:
The water is warm and clear, so that's a big plus. The rest depends on the instructor and your natural diving ability and comfort in the water. I'm sure they have some shallow sites there to start off with, and if you feel comfortable and the DM's feel comfortable with you, then you can check out the deeper sites.

Now some dive operators have no problem taking (new) open water divers to 30m or 40m sites whereas others will require that you to have an advanced open water and/or a deep specialty card, so try to find out ahead of time what the dive operator's policy is.

thanks for your information.

If I feel comfortablr in water, I may take AOW also. After the course, I want to do few days fun dive. If the sites are too difficult for a beginner, I will feel disappointed.

gif:
thanks for your information.

If I feel comfortablr in water, I may take AOW also. After the course, I want to do few days fun dive. If the sites are too difficult for a beginner, I will feel disappointed.

Some people recommend that you do some diving between OW and AOW, but in my opinion you might as well take them back to back to get a more extensive open water course in effect. The PADI adventure (AOW) dives are BS imo if done simply by the book to minimum standards, so if you decide to complete the AOW then ask the instructor to forget about the book and instead focus more on getting your trim and buoyancy into excellent shape. Aim to be able to float in horizontal trim during your safety stop and do an air share or mask on/off drill while holding your depth. Also, if you take both OW and AOW, then check if you could get a bulk discount.

Some dive operators require the deep diver specialty course (4 dive course, not the AOW dive) to go down to 40m which is total crap in my opinion (unless the student specifically wants that training). Just say no to that type of thing and use another operator if they try to push you. You can only stay 5-10 min at 40m anyway on a recreational dive so it's a money making scheme to require a 4 dive course for that more than anything else.

Diving beyond 40m gets into tech diving territory and that requires more training and experience if you want to do it properly.

*Floater*:
Some people recommend that you do some diving between OW and AOW, but in my opinion you might as well take them back to back to get a more extensive open water course in effect. The PADI adventure (AOW) dives are BS imo if done simply by the book to minimum standards, so if you decide to complete the AOW then ask the instructor to forget about the book and instead focus more on getting your trim and buoyancy into excellent shape. Aim to be able to float in horizontal trim during your safety stop and do an air share or mask on/off drill while holding your depth. Also, if you take both OW and AOW, then check if you could get a bulk discount.

Some dive operators require the deep diver specialty course (4 dive course, not the AOW dive) to go down to 40m which is total crap in my opinion (unless the student specifically wants that training). Just say no to that type of thing and use another operator if they try to push you. You can only stay 5-10 min at 40m anyway on a recreational dive so it's a money making scheme to require a 4 dive course for that more than anything else.

Diving beyond 40m gets into tech diving territory and that requires more training and experience if you want to do it properly.

Thanks, it's great information for me.

I do not have plan to dive beyond 40m. I have several seasons to take both OW and AOW.

1. dive down to around 30m, then I can go must of the sites around Bohol;

2. someone tolk me that I can learn more in AOW, which is necessary for safe diving and enjoying the trip

3. get discount for the course

4. I may stay there 8-10 days, so i need to find something to do

You will see plenty in Bohol within recreational limits - I only did one 30m + dive there to see some seahorses, and aside from a few sites, you will only really dive between 5-25m.. I can totally reccomend doing AOW in Alona/Bohol, you'll have great fun.
And as for running out of things to do - that shouldn't be a problem at all!! You will end up leaving with still things you want to do!

Thanks for the information!

I am searching the Web and sending email to Bohol dive shops. The price is quite high and I only get one package with reasonable price I think.

It's prosafari. Any one know this shop? It's good?

Please give me some advice.

Thanks!

BTW, I got some price for OW + AOW course.

Can any one tell me what 's the reasonable price for the package of OW + AOW + 9 days accommodation?

Thanks.

For the courses alone you'll probably be paying about $550 US combined - I don't think they really vary in price as they are PADI courses - accomodation depends on where you're staying!!

gif:
BTW, I got some price for OW + AOW course.

Can any one tell me what 's the reasonable price for the package of OW + AOW + 9 days accommodation?

Thanks.

$550 with dives, rental equipment, books to borrow and certification fees for the course seems about right to me. That would represent the lower end for OW and AOW taken separately in Puerto Galera. I'm guessing it would be similar in Bohol, but these prices can vary quite a bit based on the quality/availability of the equipment, dive site availability, whether they give you the books or just borrow them, and so forth. Just make sure your package price includes everything, and ask them to fill and sign the certification forms and give them to you to mail to PADI or NAUI or whoever once you are back home. For AOW make sure to do the night dive.

Accommodation varies a lot more. In Puerto Galera I paid about $14/day for a room with no hot water, ceiling fan but no A/C, no TV. The prices can easily double if you add A/C. Hot water is nice, but places that have it are better quality and therefore more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom