Cavern/Coron Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andibk

Contributor
Reaction score
Could anybody give me a description of Cathedral Cave near Coron. Do you think this would be a good enough cavern to teach cavern courses from?

andibk

IMO, no.

You access the site from open water, about 30 feet under the surface if I remember right. The entrance is rather small, about 3 feet by 12 feet. The entrance becomes a tube that isn't extremely tight but it's not that big either and it's very easy to silt up and have zero viz.

It goes about 75 feet or so (hard to measure blind) with two bends during that distance. The last bend takes you into the bottom of the interior cavern.

Sorry for so many questions. I have some people asking about doing some courses there. Is the vizibility that bad that it would not be a good ideal to take a student inside? I imagine some of the students would be advanced open water divers.

andibk

The viz is great for the first guy! :D This cave would be great for demonstrating why the frog kick is a vital tool but because the cave isn't that high or that deep before the first turn, my opinion is that it's not a good site for a cavern class.

Halthron
Greatly appreciate the help. I would rather find out first before taking someone out and them having a bad course or dives. Probable best if I teach them the cavern course here in Thailand them come to the P.I for some other courses.

andibk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom