Verde island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
Hi, I made the mistake of posting this inquiry about verde island in the DOR forum so I'm posting it again here in the main PPD forum.

I and some friends are thinking of going to Verde island in November and we'd like to know the best way to get there. According to pyro, SW has a liveaboard boat that goes there every 2 weeks or we can charter a boat if we can organize a group of 12. Jag, you mentioned that we can get there from Anilao or PG? So this will just be a day trip? Any idea how much the trip would cost? How does Verde compare to Anilao or PG or Apo reef? Is it worth the cost of the liveaboard? It's supposed to be the center of the center of marine biodiversity right?

Cathy

Cath... I did Verde from PG... I forget what the additional charge was. I was actually doing some trimix course and ended going to Verde with just my instructor on a post course dive. I forget what the surcharge was for going out there from PG. We only did one dive. Just checked my log, 60m! (for some reason I thought I only did 45m at Verde)... but what a way to do our deco coming up the wall. Great viz and the abundance of fish and coral was amazing... I think any shop in PG can arrange a day trip with some if not all of them also providing lunches on the bangkas.

I also recall someone mentioning there is a resort on Verde... not sure of their quality though...

yup, cathy, pak is right. any dive operator in PG can bring you to verde island. they usually throw in a lunch picnic for additional charge.

the island made the front page of Phil Daily Inquirer last Saturday. it was quoted as the center of the center of marine biodiversity of the world, kicked palau out of its place.

text or call zaida, 09162382129. she should be able to give u a good deal.

Magie, Mike, Jag, Pyro thanks for the encouraging advice. My friends will be coming all the way from Davao so this trip has to be worth the expense. We were originally planning to go there from Anilao but maybe they'd like to see PG too. They haven't dived PG either.

Caloy, I noticed a Verde folder in your gallery. Did you go there from Anilao? How much did the trip cost?

If this trip pushes through, anyone free on those dates is welcome to join. :)

I dove Verde from PG a couple of years ago. The trip doesn't take that long and is pretty easy to do. I went with Atlantis and recall them asking $20 extra per diver above their usual rates (though I could be a bit off on the price). I also remember that they wanted a minimum of 4 divers for the trip, but were willing to do it with 2 if you each paid a bit more. I thought that the diving at Verde was great and well worth the extra money. Marine life was similar to what was around PG, but in much greater quantities and with significantly better visibility. Definitely the highlight of my week diving at PG.

would be nice to show them PG, cath. dont miss the canyons; i would love to go there but im still earning experience. its not very advisable for novice divers. the hole in the wall is also a wonder for me; loved it (especially after the drift dive experience!)

try to call Zaida when u have time (Shes the girl i was with the last time we met at Toko's); she can give u a very fair price.

when is this dive? maybe my three/four week fasting from scuba will be over by then and i can resume diving again!

Thanks for sharing, guys. Am in PG myself this weekend (1st time in Philippines!!!). Will be sure to check out the green walls of Verde.

On a related note, has any one been to Malajibomanoc from PG? Do the chicken feathers get into your regs?

I just got back Sunday night from Puerto Galera and Verde Island. I've been to Palau and I agree that the biodiversity in Verde's waters kicks Palau's butt. I didn't see any pelagics at Verde, but my friends did on the same dive just around the corner from where I was.

Expect lots of soft and hard corals, anthiases up the wazoo, spadefish, groupers, anemonefish, jacks and 100'/30m visibility. I paid about $20 more for that dive, above my prepaid package at Atlantis. We had lunch at Atlantis' "resort" on Verde, which lies about halfway between the rocky outcrop where you'll do most of your diving, and the Washing Machine, which is supposed to be a real churner for currents but when we were there last Friday the agitator was out of service and we had a pleasant, casual dive diving all the ridges and canyons. Amenities on the island are pretty basic (no running water, sporadic electricity if at all). Best dives in Puerto Galera area.

CLA:
Magie, Mike, Jag, Pyro thanks for the encouraging advice. My friends will be coming all the way from Davao so this trip has to be worth the expense. We were originally planning to go there from Anilao but maybe they'd like to see PG too. They haven't dived PG either.

Caloy, I noticed a Verde folder in your gallery. Did you go there from Anilao? How much did the trip cost?

If this trip pushes through, anyone free on those dates is welcome to join. :)

yup, we (divenet) do that once in a while. You want to schedule a daytrip in Verde? when? Cost is negligible, maybe 800-1k a dive, 3 dives.

Diving in Verde is really great, you just have to watch out for the currents....really strong and nasty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom