SUBIC Wreck Looting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stvbrit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
:no
The Looting of the USS New York continues and goes unabated, pictures taken from inside the boiler room clearly show the proof. The hookah divers who did this slammed multiple holes in the bulkheads to salvage brass valves and pipes. Observations clearly show that the looters have now penetrated into the lower decks of the ship accessing the engine room and mess decks. It looks to be unstable and a total mess inside. This is Appalling and must be stopped!!!! What say you??

You can view the pictures in SB PG under MEMBER GALLERIES user: stvbrit

Gutted to hear this - heading to Subic in a month, solely to dive - the wrecks are one of the biggest reasons for tourists going to Subic, the authorities should work hard to let people know their importance...

stvbrit:
:no
The Looting of the USS New York continues and goes unabated, pictures taken from inside the boiler room clearly show the proof. The hookah divers who did this slammed multiple holes in the bulkheads to salvage brass valves and pipes. Observations clearly show that the looters have now penetrated into the lower decks of the ship accessing the engine room and mess decks. It looks to be unstable and a total mess inside. This is Appalling and must be stopped!!!! What say you??

You can view the pictures in SB PG under MEMBER GALLERIES user: stvbrit

stvbrit,
Can you send me a copy of the pictures to my email? axuadive@yahoo.com
thank you

on a side note I read a report that the estimated total average value of a wreck when completely salvage and sold as scrap metal is estimated to be at US$200,000. Now I will not wonder if some influential powers that be are actually behind this.

Axua:
stvbrit,
Can you send me a copy of the pictures to my email? axuadive@yahoo.com
thank you

on a side note I read a report that the estimated total average value of a wreck when completely salvage and sold as scrap metal is estimated to be at US$200,000.

glad you're at it jai :wink:

jonix:
glad you're at it jai :wink:

Jonix just doing the little that I can :) I feel sad to see a country already tearing of bits and pieces of its history and culture because of poverty and maybe greed. Its not even about diving wrecks but more of preservation of something of historical significance. Something like this would probably not be taken lightly by governements and its people in other countries.

Just trying to get a better idea of whats happening - Do you think it's a matter of those in power not having enough resources to protect them?

I totally see that the salvagers will be just trying to make some cash, although they aren't going to be completely poor if they have the funds to get a boat & crew together with equipment to salvage..

F UNit:
Just trying to get a better idea of whats happening - Do you think it's a matter of those in power not having enough resources to protect them?

nope probably more of people in power letting it pass by their eyes as long as they get a chunk of the proceeds.

F UNit:

that can be the case especially in subic where they have a "mini government" run by the SBMA chairman.

but i doubt very much that none of the SBMA police force knows about this. it can only happen if they have the "blessing" of the powers that be. it's probably another corruption case IMO.

I just can't understand the short sightedness of it - from all I've read it seems like the Subic economy really took a hit in recent years, and this is one of it's most valuable attractions... if the wrecks are in a crappy state, - it's a shame to say but - I don't see any it competing with other destinations much...

So sad.

Back
Top Bottom