Going to PI for 1 month, is Tubbatha really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scorpius

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!

I am going to Philippines next march for 1 month, doing some backpacking and of course diving. I have read few books concerning travelling and diving in PI. But I'm definitely not sure whether to go Tubbataha live-board or not. You are probably thinking: "Of course Tubbataha is worth it!", but consider this:

I plan to go to (diving):
  • Mindoro (Puerto Galera)
  • Pandan island
  • Apo reef
  • South Luzon (Donsol)
  • Masbate and Ticao island
  • Leyte (Padre Burgos)
  • Bohol (Panglao, Apo, Cabilao)
  • Cebu (Moalboal)
  • Malapascua Island
And what I've read thru internet and books, those places are best places in Philippines (palawan is not here as I am not going there) offering outstanding corals, snorkeling, Whalesharks (Donsol) and Manta Rays (Pandan Island, Apo reef, Ticao Island). And on top of that, going to Tubbataha is hassle to me, as I have to fly there from manila and back. Plus it will take whole week so after that I have only 3 weeks to explore rest PI.

What you guys think, does this make any sense? One thing to note, I have to see Mantas, I just have to. It has been my dream for a long time and now I will not miss that chance. I read that there is a good chance to meet them on Ticao Island (At manta bowl) so again, tubbataha doesent seem to be as "must"

Please post your thoughts, all advices would be appreciated :)

from what i've heard from friends who have been to tubba: mantas are almost guaranteed

so yes: tubbataha is worth it... if you have to sacrifice a location-or-2 i would drop donsol and hit southern leyte instead - you can DIVE with whalesharks there as opposed to just snorkeling in donsol...

and there are whalesharks too in tuba :eyebrow:

hope this helps

Jag

Hi Scorpius,

I went on a two weeks diving trip in the Philippines in Apr 2006 & below is my trip report. Maybe I was unlucky on my trip but my views on Tubbataha's diving was not as good as I've anticipated. We did see a few mantas on our trip though ..

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=140729

Jovin-

Do you think you can go to all those places in 1 month? Why not just pick a few places and stay longer? It will be cheaper and you'll also save on travel time. If you explore a place longer you'll also see more.

CLA:
Do you think you can go to all those places in 1 month? Why not just pick a few places and stay longer? It will be cheaper and you'll also save on travel time. If you explore a place longer you'll also see more.
True, and I wont go every place. Eventually I will pick places along my route. My route seems to be 1 week luzon,mindoro, 1 week leyte, 1week bohol and 1 week cebu. Or something like that. I'm just working on it...

Tubbataha is worth it, Mantas and all, just get on a good boat and with good people!

CLA:
I second that.

About donsol, you can "only" snorkel with the WS but you have MUCH MORE chance to see them than in Donsol.
We have seen a manta in Malapascua.

You can see my blog am ask me more question.

Have fun, PI and Pinoys are great!

Hmm the routee seems to get clearer. Well, I have planned only first few days, I don't want to plan too much and spoil the adventure! :14:

I am arriving to Manila at 23:30 from where I will take a cab to my hostel. It is located very near to the bus station where buses to Angeles departure. I'll catch that bus first in the morning and head to Baguio via Angeles. And from there I will enjoy famous Halsema road and arrive to beautiful Bontoc. There I will stay few days and head back to Manila and from there to Batangas. Maybe some diving in Anilao, but nevertheless to Mindoro. There I will dive in Buerto Galera, Pandan Island and Apo Reef. After that I'll just adventure.

I have checked ferry routes and it seems that I can get to Masbate from Mindoro. But Should I take a bus to Donsol from Batangas instead? I know now that I will definitely go to Donsol, Ticao Island and Masbate. Leyte will be probably skipped. From where I can go to Malapascua Island? From there next will be bohol and then Cebu (from where I fly back to Hong Kong).

Traveling does not seem to take much time if you do it right. Many ferries departure at evening and arrive at morning so its perfect way to sleep as you are traveling in the same time :)
Besides my first priority in whole adventure is Manta Rays, Whale Sharks and beautiful beaches. Hell, If I find these from Masbate/Ticao I'll stay there as long as I want. My travel plan seems to be very flexible, and IMO it should be.

Still, I'm not sure about Tubbataha. It definitely would mess up my plans...
Don't get me wrong but I get the impression that all the beauty of Tubbataha can be seen at various places around Philippines.

Tubbataha season is not open yet, you might want to think about that in planning your trip. Haven't been there but its on my dream dives list. I'm sure you'll enjoy. :)

Cheers and enjoy you're trip!

Back
Top Bottom