ATM transaction failure = disappearing cash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bora_Horza

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

I've been twice to the Philippines, and I love it there - and I'll no doubt be visiting again :) Usually I use my Cirrus/Maestro ATM card to get cash week to week. One time I tried to withdraw some cash, then the ATM timed out or something ("Transaction Failure") and I didn't get any money. I was concerned, so I noted the date, and when I got back home to the UK I checked my bank statement - the money had been withdrawn (apparently). I went to my bank to sort this out, and they looked at the rest of my statement. The amount "withdrawn" had been credited back to my account about a week after the failed withdrawal, so it all ended happily in my case.

But I've heard other stories where the cash is not automatically returned to your account, and you have to go into the bank and fill out some kind of form - or your money is not returned! And I've also come across this interesting article (plus the comments below it are worth reading): http://liveinthephilippines.com/blog/?p=52

So, any of you guys experienced these kind of problems? Is it a particular issue with international transactions? I just want to be armed with the best info for the next time I visit the Philippines. Cheers!

I spend a lot of time in the Philippines and have never had a problem. Actually, no where in Asia.

Working for a bank I know exactly what you mean. The good news is that even if the money is not returned automatically, the machine usually knows that it did not give the money and your bank can easily have access to that info. You get your money back but it takes longer. Sometimes, the machine doesn't realize the money wasn't spat out so it the owner of the ATM is supposed to count the cash (which won't balance) and when your bank puts in a request the money is returned. If the ATM "balances", (money could have been spat out after or maybe the person who did the count needed groceries), then it is up to the discretion of your bank. If its a couple hundred dollars (pounds) usually its no problem...

YMMV this is the way it works for the most part in canada

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom