live-aboard - Anilao/PG, Apo Reef, Coron, Busuanga?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

The very best diving I did was way back in '98 or so, a 4 day live-aboard that covered Anilao, Puerto Galera, Verde island, Apo Reef, Coron, and Busuanga. Northern Palawan and Apo reef were a total dream. And I got a ridiculously discounted price of P5k.

I thought it was better than Tubbataha in 2000.

Are there any boats that do this itinerary? Upcoming trips? How much would it cost now?

JasonC:
Hi all,

The very best diving I did was way back in '98 or so, a 4 day live-aboard that covered Anilao, Puerto Galera, Verde island, Apo Reef, Coron, and Busuanga. Northern Palawan and Apo reef were a total dream. And I got a ridiculously discounted price of P5k.

I thought it was better than Tubbataha in 2000.

Are there any boats that do this itinerary? Upcoming trips? How much would it cost now?
WOW 5k!??!?!!? even in 98 that would have been a steal...

no boats that i know of that do that whole course... maybe chunks of it based out of puerto galera...

but lust being posted here is that a 5-day apo reef can run into the 30,000 level...

Jag

JasonC:
Hi all,

must be a typo jason 5k in pesos is quite impossible:)

Spoon:
must be a typo jason 5k in pesos is quite impossible:)
Or perhaps a typo in currency, may have been in USD:)

subzero:
Or perhaps a typo in currency, may have been in USD:)

5k in USD is too expensive:)

@Jason i wish i knew you back then

Hmm, I found Scubaworld's liveaboard trips:

http://www.expeditionfleet.com/liveaboard/aporeef_liveaboard.htm

The 4-night Apo reef only trip is ~$800 and 7-night Apo/Coron is ~$1200. Pricey. And they don't seem to cover Busuanga, El Nido, Verde Island, PG, and so on. The 7-night trip has 2.5 days of Apo Reef.. when I did the trip before, the boat sailed for several hours every night, and we'd wake up at a new location.

Waking up to the cliffs of Northern Palawan rising up from the glass-smooth sea is one of my best memories... rowing between those tiny islets to a secluded white sand beach with tall forests and large birds, swimming through an opening in a wall into a small lagoon.. >100 ft visibility at Apo reef, seeing dozens of sharks, rays, turtles... hundreds of talakitok at El Nido, etc etc. <sigh>

I heard that one of Scubaworld's boats ran aground in Tubbataha - is that true?

I have to get somebody who can read Chinese to read the page I linked earlier.

It's a Taiwan based dive travel agency. Looks like that trip is Manila->Anilao->Dimakya Island->Coron->Apo Reef and back on Island Explorer.
IslandExplorer.jpg

didn't see any prices... I can't read Chinese, just some characters... :wink:

but even a trip from PG on an overgrown liveaboard bangka (like the one Lalaguna Beach Club runs) will cost $150/ day.

JasonC:
Hmm, I found Scubaworld's liveaboard trips:

http://www.expeditionfleet.com/liveaboard/aporeef_liveaboard.htm

The 4-night Apo reef only trip is ~$800 and 7-night Apo/Coron is ~$1200. Pricey. And they don't seem to cover Busuanga, El Nido, Verde Island, PG, and so on. The 7-night trip has 2.5 days of Apo Reef.. when I did the trip before, the boat sailed for several hours every night, and we'd wake up at a new location.

Waking up to the cliffs of Northern Palawan rising up from the glass-smooth sea is one of my best memories... rowing between those tiny islets to a secluded white sand beach with tall forests and large birds, swimming through an opening in a wall into a small lagoon.. >100 ft visibility at Apo reef, seeing dozens of sharks, rays, turtles... hundreds of talakitok at El Nido, etc etc. <sigh>

I heard that one of Scubaworld's boats ran aground in Tubbataha - is that true?

I have to get somebody who can read Chinese to read the page I linked earlier.
Just send them an email service@pioneerdiver.com.

Back
Top Bottom