Samal Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

let me dig up some info... a friend of mine sent me some on samal... please hold

edit: ok got it... here goes

PM to me by friend on multiply:
they dove with Carabao Divers
one of the owners is a lawyer friend, chuck delgra: 0920.961.9983
tell him i sent you.

dive masteer fees: were waived kasi kaibigan namin
boat: P900 /3 people ... but there were about 15 of us kasi on the boat
tanks P150/ tank
(bring your own packed lunch ang sistema namin)

my friends dove at Talicud Island area, specifically:
angels cove
marissa 1 (better site than angel's cove)

dapat puntahan na divesite daw accdg to their research:
mansud
ligid

i'll be there in july, hope to get to dive... if not at least a daytrip to samal island... just to swim

Jag

In Davao, go to Santa Ana Wharf at the end of Monteverde Street. That is where you will find Carabao Divers, Davao Scuba Center, and Wind & Wave Scuba. I recommend Wind & Wave as being a well run operation and also did quite a few dives with Frank at Davao Scuba. Carabao was just getting set up at the new shop when I was there a few months ago so didn't actually dive with them, but did meet the owner and got to know a couple of instructors who worked there, seems like it would be fine also. It is nice having all 3 shops in one area, which allows you to walk around and meet everyone without any hassle and then decide which operation to go with.

There are also a couple of other possibilities on Samal Island itself. Paradise Resort has DM's and rental gear, and any of the resorts will accommodate divers who bring their own kit and tanks. There is also the upscale option of the Pearl Farm, which I believe is associated with Wind & Wave. But I recommend just going with one of the operators from Davao since they can take you to all the sites around.

The diving is good around Davao. I had some excellent night dives on Samal and Talikud. Cuttlefish, frogfish, octopus, lots of different crabs, and some cool nudibranchs. During the day the best sites are a bit further away on the far side of Samal Island and Ligid. But nothing wrong with the sites on Talikud for a shorter boat ride. All in all, I rate the diving around Davao as average to very good depending on the site and conditions. There are quite a few different sites to choose from, and the prices are better than most places in the PI.

Jacks Ridge is a good place to check out in the evening with a view looking out over the city, and Rizal Street has good nightlife and restuarants.

I think wind and wave are the biggest operators there, but when i visited their shop they had weird packages, eg: 1000php to dive, but you have to rent the tank pa and chip in on the boat thats good for 20pax cost of 5,000php. ???? Don't know if its still like that now. They also have a small dive shack in paradise, dive is at 1,200/dive, they said max depth is 40ft. With that, i decided not to dive. \

Hopefully there are changes, been hearing good stuff about samal island.

The Paradise house reef is actually the only site I didn't really care for, although I did manage to hit 44'...:D . Not very exciting at all, all though I did have a little fun taking some pix of a few smaller critters. There are plenty of much better sites around. At 1200php per dive I would pass too.

After a couple of weeks diving there, my average cost was around 1200php for a two tank trip, including the boat. But if there were only a few divers on the boat, it could add a little to the cost. Wind and Wave does seem to get the most traffic, but both the other shops can fill a boat.

I highly recommend Davao Scuba Center. Look for Frank Rasmussen a Dutch dive operator/divemaster and Maeng Lejaros also a divemaster. The cost depends on the Banca rental divided by # of divers. Carabao Divers is also a good alternative. Davao Wind and Wave is the only PADI dive center in Davao but I find that their staff lacks enthusiasm. Their prices are also for tourists. Most of the local divers that I know will either go to Frank or Carabao Divers. The best dive sites are at least an hour by Banca. Small Ligid and Big Ligid, Audanao sanctuary are my favorite. Samal Island is also accessible by ferry. If you know someone who has a 4WD SUV a shore dive is possible at the Libud Marine Sanctuary near Tagbaobo (1 hr drive from the ferry). Paradise Resort and Punta del Sol also offers shore diving. Paradise Resort if you like feeding the fishes but the current might be very strong. In Punta del Sol you might not see any fish at all.

never mind pearl farm, jon. i was there august last year (before the start of my diving days) but i did check their diving prices and it was somewhere between US$27-US$30. it is higher than the quoted rates here. but their service is awesome.

jonix:
how about pearl farm? they have a dive shop there and there are several sites named after mr. floirendo's kids. no idea though on their rates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom