Subic Bay: Boardwalk review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
I spent the weekend diving with Boardwalk Divers and stayed at the Boardwalk Inn.

The hotel (Ph: 047-252-2893): Located in the freeport economic zone very close to the beach. Cross the road and walk past a playground and you're at the beach. The rooms have two twin beds but have enough room for a third (whether the hotel would provide a third is something else). The rooms have A/C, a TV with cable, small fridge and the bathroom has hot water. I saw a wrieless router but didn't have my laptop to check availability. The sign at the front desk said 1750P Sun-Thurs and 1950P Fri & Sat.

Opinion of the hotel: Good location, basic room. I disliked the bed, pure foam with no support. I didn't eat at the restaurant but the people I was with did and said the the service was slow (even by local standards) and the food was poor.

Boardwalk Divers (Ph: 047-252-5357): Located next door the the hotel, the dive shop was convenient. The shop is a mix of recreational and technical, the shop will rent the basics but also has lights, backplates, doubles, etc. There was talk of helium as well but I wasn't sure if that was present or forthcoming.

The shop has three boats of varing sizes and speeds. Briefings on significant wrecks come with nice drawings that indicate direction, various depths, etc. Once ready to dive, the boatmen load the gear into a cart and haul it to the boat. You carry what you wish (light/camera/computer) down to the beach and to the boat. It's a 5 min. walk from the shop to the boat.

Dive Shop opinion: The shop didn't have much problem with leading people into wrecks. Admittedly, most of the time they were simply complex swimthroughs with more than enough exit availability, the fact is that at least one unprepared diver got confused and turned around and lost the DM. While I'm sure the DM would have found him long before anything happened (the DM would have had to pass him to leave), the guy simply wasn't prepared. This is just my opinion but people wearing splitfins, using a flutter kick and carrying a small LED light with no backup shouldn't be in small dark silty places. (The guy's light couldn't reach the 6 feet he had separated from the DM. By the time I realized that while I was following him and he was following no one, the distance had increased a bit. I shined mine around, found the DM and pointed the guy on).

We did do some line laying inside the USS New York. I wasn't privy to any conversations about ability that may have occured with any of the other divers. At least one diver had gone through 135 cubic feet of gas (had 500 PSI left in doubles) by the end of the dive, I'm guessing he hyperventilated in the wreck since the guy is supposed to be an experienced instructor. For those who know how much I consume, I used 1500 PSI.

To be fair, the owner doesn't just let anyone do any dive without questioning their abilities. He and I connected pretty quickly after I showed my best C-Card, talked about my DIR-F experince and we exchanged some shared experiences in Mapating. And when the guy I was with expressed interest in a site at 180 ft, the owner started asking me more pointed questions about his level of skill and experience.

I used doubles filled with 31-33% on every dive. Cost was 850P per dive plus 250P per tank of nitrox for a total of 1350P for a doubles dive with Nitrox. Some of the other places (like the shop attached to Vasco's) want 2500P for one (1) doubles dive with Nitrox. Boardwalk was a friendly place with people who have some knowledge of tech diving in addition to recreational.

I'll be going back.

I'll try to post some tonight.

oooh... subic. might go there on march for my cousin's bday celebration. maybe i can escape from my family for a dive... hmmm... P850/dive's not bad :crafty:

Most of the pics are of the LST (100+ yds long, the deck at about 80 ft and the keel at about 115), a hatch, an entry to below deck and a wheel.

The dark picture is of a gun outside the USS New York. The pic was taken about 4pm on a sunny day. The light is my 21w HID and the little handheld in the picture is on. the extra light on the right is from a 10w HID

Attachments

• LST_hatch.jpg
    LST_hatch.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 82
  • LST_to_below.jpg
    LST_to_below.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 122
  • LST_wheel.jpg
    LST_wheel.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 89
  • USS_NY.jpg
    USS_NY.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 116
A spotted ray found on the LST

Attachments

• Spotted_Ray.jpg
    Spotted_Ray.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 394
The LST was the deepest one I did. The deck is at about 80 feet while the keel is at about 115. The New York's top (it's on its side) was maybe at 65 feet. The El Capitan's top (it's on its side as well) was at about 20 feet with a max depth of about 60 feet.

There are deeper wrecks, I just didn't go to them. LST is sanitized, it was deliberately sunk after the war. The swim throughs below decks are generally free of obstruction and areas to get caught on.

intriguing pictures. will definitely be in subic mar. 10 to 11 and will check out boardwalk :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom