Diving in the Sulu Archipelago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bombarie

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey - would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Have been diving in the Philis twice now and will soon return. Read a story on how Abu Sayaf was basically whiped out by the Philippines Marines last week (The Atlantic). Area seems to have calmed considerably. Have always wanted to travel around the Sulu Archipelago, start in Zamboango and end up in Sandakan on Borneo. You'd think there are great reefs in that area (Sipadan's pretty much the last stop before hitting Borneo) waiting to be discovered. Is there anything out there, has anyone on the board been there? Will it be the "next" Sogod Bay or am I being overly optimistic here. Your thoughts are welcomed, thx.

I would advise you against it. That area is rebel and pirate infested. It might be Ok to dive Zamboanga. But, would avoid Sulu.

Dive anywhere in the PI you want......the nay sayers are always going to say things are bad. You do not play in Watts or Harlem after dark.....same rule in the Jolo Islands. You play nice and people are nice. Bring it on. We have the best diving in the world. The Sulu Sea Rocks!!!

I've never been to Sulu or in Mindanao when I lived in Cebu, so can't say what it's like in that area. If you really want to explore the Sulu archipelago, I'd suggest you contact one of the local dive shop in Mindanao or talk to someone local to the area.

Bombarie:
Hey - would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Have been diving in the Philis twice now and will soon return. Read a story on how Abu Sayaf was basically whiped out by the Philippines Marines last week (The Atlantic). Area seems to have calmed considerably. Have always wanted to travel around the Sulu Archipelago, start in Zamboango and end up in Sandakan on Borneo. You'd think there are great reefs in that area (Sipadan's pretty much the last stop before hitting Borneo) waiting to be discovered. Is there anything out there, has anyone on the board been there? Will it be the "next" Sogod Bay or am I being overly optimistic here. Your thoughts are welcomed, thx.

Bombarie, I had the same thoughts considering the chain of islands in the Sulu Archipelago run right into Sipidan... Maybe one of these days, it will open up. Or maybe we could work up a deal with the Abu Sayef/ MILF to start up themed liveboards, maybe call the trips "Raid Sipidan"... :rofl3: Rush in from Sulu and see how many foreign divers you can kidnap... :wink: :joke:

pakman:
Bombarie, I had the same thoughts considering the chain of islands in the Sulu Archipelago run right into Sipidan... Maybe one of these days, it will open up. Or maybe we could work up a deal with the Abu Sayef/ MILF to start up themed liveboards, maybe call the trips "Raid Sipidan"... :rofl3: Rush in from Sulu and see how many foreign divers you can kidnap... :wink: :joke:
nice name for a liveaboard ship...."Abu"

pak, u always have the most outrageous idea!

maybe they could do some bidding too!.

pakman:

Babydamulag:
Dive anywhere in the PI you want......the nay sayers are always going to say things are bad. You do not play in Watts or Harlem after dark.....same rule in the Jolo Islands. You play nice and people are nice. Bring it on. We have the best diving in the world. The Sulu Sea Rocks!!!

Cmon Baby D... there's some places you shouldn't go to even in the daytime....

That area is certainly a bigger risk than your usual dive spots... Be careful

my friend just came back from davao. he met 2 brits who are in the phils for 10months diving exploration... they are going to tawi tawi...

i've heard tawi tawi is peaceful compared to jolo... lots of sea weed plantation... ergo lots of cash...

i think it's also a good site to explore since it's a stone throw away from sipadan...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom