Diving around Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!
In May, I booked a safari to Cgayan from Sipalay, I have about 5 days before and 9 days afterwards, and the diving around Sipalay was not tempting last time.
I thought about going to somewhere near Dumaguete (to minimize travel time). I enjoyed Apo Island in 2001, now I read about Dauin and other spots nearby. There seem to be plenty of shops and offers for liveaboards. Doesn't it get crowded?
The other option seems to be towards the North of Dumaguete (Sibulan), from where you can get trips to Sumilon.
What are your recommendations for a few dives? Maybe a Nitrox course?
Yours, Liberty

Liberty01:
Hi!
In May, I booked a safari to Cgayan from Sipalay, I have about 5 days before and 9 days afterwards, and the diving around Sipalay was not tempting last time.
I thought about going to somewhere near Dumaguete (to minimize travel time).
What are your recommendations for a few dives? Maybe a Nitrox course?
Yours, Liberty

Liberty, thanks for the info on Moalbol in my thread post. I would recommend a nitrox certification if you can do it. I don't think you even need to dive for the certification now. Where nitrox if available it will come in handy for extending your bottom time on deeper dives. Of course that depends a little bit on how good your air use is.

I did hear from some Germans (photo and video pros who actually said they liked Malapascua area more than Tubbataha) I dove with at Tubbataha that the Dumaguete pier is supposed to be a great dive. I heard that only one shop has the rights to dive it though. Can anyone else offer any more info?

Thanks, jbb!
I am thinking about Malapsacua, but it sounds very touristy, crowded with dive shops, the weather was bad in May 2001, and the thresher shark was on holiday...
Are the otherb dive spots worth the long trip even if there are no threshers, mantarays etc.? I love night dives.
Yours, Liberty

Liberty01:
Thanks, jbb!
I am thinking about Malapsacua, but it sounds very touristy, crowded with dive shops, the weather was bad in May 2001, and the thresher shark was on holiday...
Are the otherb dive spots worth the long trip even if there are no threshers, mantarays etc.? I love night dives.
Yours, Liberty

I don't consider it that touristy. It's no Boracay. I actually prefer Gato Island for the little critters- there are reef sharks in a cave that have been there every time I've gone. Lighthouse dive (night) is great for mandarin fish (sometimes mating) and sea horses.

There are a couple of reef walls - Clanggaman Island and Nunez shoal but haven't gotten to dive them in a while because they are a ways from the island and dive operations want at least six divers to make the trip.

Chocolate Island - first time I ever saw a flamboyant cuttle fish. One time only.:(

Dona Marilyn Wreck - again needs a certain number of divers. Clouded rays under the bow - usually.

If you go up there I would check all the dive shops and see how many divers they have and whether they have a schedule of dives that suits you. I usually dive with TSD but there is Exotic and Sea Explorers as well. These would be the only shops I'd dive with on the island.

Remember there is life on Monad Shoal despite the pulverized hard coral. Over the years I've seen the soft coral coming back. The last two trips there has been a school of baracuda, great baracuda, big manta shrimp (observed one breaking a shell in it's claws), octopus, nudibranch, thresher shark and mantas. Actually last May when I was there I saw a 99% manta ray - it was missing a mandible unfortunately probably from a fishing net.

Of course nobody can guarantee sightings. I usually go there and dive 3-4 times a day at the different dive sites. All the shops dive Monad in the morning for the threshers. Of course if you don't dive you won't see anything.:D

that would be the amontillado beach and dive resort: http://www.amontilladoresort.com/

i am not so sure about dumaguete pier. I was there last October and it doesnt really smell like the type of water ud like to dive into.

jbb:
I did hear from some Germans (photo and video pros who actually said they liked Malapascua area more than Tubbataha) I dove with at Tubbataha that the Dumaguete pier is supposed to be a great dive. I heard that only one shop has the rights to dive it though. Can anyone else offer any more info?

rhadamantus:
i am not so sure about dumaguete pier. I was there last October and it doesnt really smell like the type of water ud like to dive into.

No worries, I have experience with that err smell.:l: That's just what the Padre Burgos pier dive smelled like and that dive was fantastic with all sorts of critters.:D

I'm caught up on all my shots at least.

I still think about which dive shop to go with. I need good equipment and a good guide.
I don't want to stay in one of Dauin's expensive resorts.
Is the dive outfit at Hans and Nenita's recommendable?
Yours, Liberty

ever thought about the eldorado? room is about 23 to 27us, the food is fantastic. a double rum cost you 60 instead 50pesos for a single. the best diving just in front of the resort. they run also trips to apo island almost daily. and yes, don't miss the pier, one ot the worlds top dives. i never found it smelly. are we talking about the same. i dived the pier 14 times.

At the Atlantis, a rum and coke is like 60 pesos, a straight coke is like 125 pesos if I remember correctly. And their rum and cokes are like 90% rum with a splash of coke.
Coke is expensive in the PI, rum is cheap.

As for Apo Island, that place is fantastic!!!!

What is he dive shop at Malatapay Resort like?
I also found Kookoo's Nest, the beach looks better. Where is the better dive shop?
It seems that both resorts are small, thus maybe not enough divers.
Yours, Liberty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom