Bus Hostages in Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
so what the heck is this about?

MANILA (AP) — Unidentified gunmen seized a busload of students and teachers near Manila's city hall Wednesday, police said.

Hostage-takers scribbled on a piece of paper, visible through the bus window, that they were armed with grenades, police officer Mark Andal said.

Police surrounded the bus, he said. It wasn't immediately clear how many people were inside.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-03-27-bus-manila_N.htm?csp=34

From GMA 7

32 schoolchildren on board bus taken hostage by gunmen
03/28/2007 | 09:41 AM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
Hostage-takers said to be armed with guns and grenades took over a passenger bus in Manila Wednesday morning, a radio report said.

According to the dzBB report, the airconditioned bus has been surrounded by members of the Philippine National Police's Special Weapons and Tactics team at the Bonifacio shrine near the Manila City Hall compound.

The tourist bus, the same report said, bore plate number WYX-271 and had about 32 students and two teachers on board.

Initial reports gathered by police said that the group of schoolchildren were part of a two-bus group out for an excursion.

Police also said that they believe that there were two hostage-takers armed with an UZI and a .45-caliber pistol on board.

Police said that they were tipped off that an ongoing robbery was taking place around 9:30 a.m. and an alert was issued to their mobile units.

The bus, which had a note tacked on it saying "Libreng edukasyon para sa 145 na estudyante ng Musmos Daycare Center," was spotted at the Bonifacio shrine and surrounded by police units. - GMANews.TV

Uzi's, 'nades, and a busload of kids... not good...

man... ain't that the truth

the hostage-takers are 2 guys, teachers of the pre-school kids in the bus. he's demanding for education and housing for his students. since its election time here he's hoping to get the attention of the politicians for support.

vane

its election year, campain seasion, i am here at the scene get free Jolibee food and drinks. and free politician t shirt! the kids is playing the gunman uzi thats is made in china for a big shopping mall at 168! you can get your UZI too! this is the philippines, asia's most freepress country. lets focus on the silent news, 2 China fishing vessel at Basilan again, we are open for fishs rapes, tis is news!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Senator boards bus, talks to bus hijackers

MANILA (6th Update, 11:50 a.m.) -- Senator Ramon Revilla Jr. leads the negotiation with gunmen who hijacked a busload of day-care students and teachers and drove them to Manila city hall Wednesday to demand better housing and education for the children.

About two and a half hours after the standoff began, Revilla, who said he knows Jun Ducat, one of the hostage-taker, was allowed by the gunmen to board the bus for negotiations.

Revilla’s conversation with the gunmen was aired live over ANC and dzMM. Ducat used the radio connection in airing out his sentiments against massive corruption in government over radio and television.

As of this posting, the hostage taker is still talking on air airing out his disgust and frustration on government’s inefficiency.

The hostage-takers who are holding 32 children and two teachers demanded housing and education for 145 children in a day-care center in Manila's poor Tondo district where the incident appeared to have begun.

"I love these kids, that's why I am here," one of the hostage-takers, identifying himself as Jun Ducat, told dzMM radio by cell phone. "I invited the children for a field trip.

"You can be assured that I cannot hurt the children. In case I need to shed blood, I will not be the first to fire. I am telling the policemen, have pity on these children."

Police surrounded the bus, its emergency lights flashing, near Manila's city hall. TV footage showed the young children, one in sunglasses, waving from the windows, and a woman could be seen making a hand signal asking for a phone as one of the gunmen held a grenade at her shoulder.

The woman reassuringly massaged the shoulders of one boy as she walked away from the front of the bus and the curtains were pulled shut. The children were allowed to wave again later, apparently to show they were OK, before the curtains were closed again.

Mothers of some hostages went on radio to tearfully appeal for their children's safety.

"To the parents of the kids I am with... I am asking for justice so they can have continued education up to college," Ducat said.

Social Welfare Secretary Esperanza Cabral talked with Ducat and offered assurances that the children would get a good education.

Ducat was involved in a previous hostage-taking about 20 years ago with two priests in which he used fake grenades, officials said. He had a cell phone but it was not clear if he was in direct contact with police.

A police officer, standing about 15 meters (yards) away, held up a cardboard sign that read: "Jun, we are going to give you a phone so we can talk," as another officer held up the handset. A third officer used a bullhorn.

Ducat, who claimed to have food for two days, refused to take the phone, saying he was afraid it would explode.

A dzMM radio reporter said Ducat, who was seeking safety assurances, asked him to call his doctor, saying he had an angioplasty two weeks ago and that his chest was feeling tight.

A man identified as Jun Ducat was disqualified as a congressional candidate in 2001. It was not immediately clear why he was disqualified, or if it was the same man.

Police Senior Superintendent Danilo Abarzosa said initial reports indicated that the men stormed the bus while fleeing police after a holdup.

"But it looks like that's not correct. They were already inside the bus when it left" the day-care center, Abarzosa said.

Meanwhile, Senator Alfredo Lim said in a television interview that Ducat also took hostage a priest in Blumentritt in Manila in 1987 or 1988 over unpaid contractual fees due from a parish he was working for back then and later released his hostage unharmed.

Lim said he is confident that the hostage-taking will be resolved peacefully like what happened in the past. (Sunnex)

(Reposted with updates)

Back
Top Bottom