Where to go ...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hello Guys,

For our next dive trip I am planning a 3/4 week trip to the Philippines. however I am not sure where to go. I have been looking into the region of Palawan and I must say it looks great. however Cebu looks nice too. The period will be between december/march. We are looking for a combination of great diving, nice hotels/resorts, not too crowded, adventure and relaxation. We are thinking of staying in at least two places. Dive wise we all like macro stuff but also wrecks, sharks and manta`s :)

Any help or recommendations wil be highly appreciated!

regards,

Puerto Galera is just a two to three hour drive south of Manilla, lots of good sites and Verde Is. is nearby.
Moaboal is on Cebu Is., the west coast, and can be reached with direct International flights. Alona Beach is also in the central region,(Visayas) and you can off-gas with a day trip to the Chocolate Hills.
Palawan is very popular and you may need to secure reservations in advance. Tubataha is accessable through live-aboards and these fill up fast. Coron is nearby and has great wreck diving.
My first trip to the Philippines was for five weeks,NOT ENOUGH TIME!
My second trip was for 6 wks NOT ENOUGH TIME!
G:D ood luck in your decision. No matter what it is you can't go wrong.

We are based in Manila right now and just got back from Cabilao http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=189546. We stayed in Alona for a few days after diving and did the land tour but most of the best diving is around Cabilao and Balicasag.

PG and Anilao are great too. We dive there a lot.

Diver Dennis:
We are based in Manila right now and just got back from Cabilao http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=189546. We stayed in Alona for a few days after diving and did the land tour but most of the best diving is around Cabilao and Balicasag.

PG and Anilao are great too. We dive there a lot.
just saw your cabilao thread (rarely go out of the PPD... it's scary out there)

must say, D, you know how to make a grown man cry with your photos... they're absolutely gorgeous

Jag

Thanks a lot guys for the info,

On one side it will be very hard to choose however it is good to know that we can`t go wrong... :)
From europe we do not hear much of Palawan, that is one of the reasons why it attracts me. it is always good from people who live in the area or know the places well. Following the recommendations you guys mentioned it looks like there are enough other spots which look great too....though choices and not enough time to enjoy it all.......

btw DiverDennis your pics are truly great!

keep the recommendations for great places and great resorts coming...

cheers!

Was reading your post....have to agree, Philippines is pretty much unknown territory for the Dutch divers, except this one! Loads of German and Scandinivians there though. If you have three of four weeks (watch the visa - its 21 days on arrival, at least in 2005) you could consider something like this:

Fly into Cebu City on Cathay from Amsterdam via Hong Kong on Cathay. From Cebu go 2.5 hours south by bus/cab to Moalboal. Do some reading on the board, not the best diving but its a nice enough town, and best access to Pescador Island which, in goed Hollands, is gewoon fantastisch (translation in English: rocks). Dive it for two days, travel further south (by bus, may be three hours) and stay another few days at Liloan at the south tip of Cebu, they say it has some nice diving (haven't been there). From there you can cross to Dumaguette on Negros, from where you can dive Apo Island (from a few resorts just south of Duma). That's pretty relaxed, easily can spend a few days there. Once you get fed up, back to Duma and take the ferry (oceanjet i guess, takes maybe 2 hours) to Tagbiliran, from where its maybe 45 minutes to Panglao Island (maar dat is het niet, 't is een schiereiland, translation: its actually a peninsula). That's where Alona Beach is, look it up, nice place with decent beach, good diving in front of it and great diving on an island nearby: Balicasag. Enough good diving around Alona to keep you going for a week. Important note: Alona Beach actually has some bars and restaurants, all directtly on the beach, where the diveshops are as well - i like the place a lot (went back twice since), enough entertainment at night. From Alona Beach you can track to Southern Leyte, which probably takes a day or so, but that's the home of the whaleshark. Or go to Cabiloa and see whether u get lucky w/ the hammerheads. Look around on the board, google places like Gunther's Southern Leyte Divers and you'll understand why that remote area is the next big thing in Philippines diving. When done take the boat back to Cebu City and when u have time left, go north (5 hours by bus) to Maya and take the boat across to....Malapascua, home of thresher sharks (and mandarin fish, and really cool dives on Gato Island nearby, and some wrecks i haven't tried). Laid back enough to stay forever and....you can leave it in the morning and make it in time for the 19:55pm Cathay flight back to HK.

Did the above myself in three weeks and 36 dives i think, in four weeks it would be a grand trip of the best diving in the Visayas. Since all place are all within hours of each other (except Leyte), it doesn't matter if you hang around longer in one then the other, since its a circle trip, Cebu and the flight home is always under control. Really comes recommended (en EUR 14 per duik, met eigen spullen, is natuurlijk ook nooit weg :D ). Let me know if you have further q's happy to help out. Also read the stories on the board, there's tons and tons. Groet! arie

Bombarie... That is a fantastic itinerary for the Visayas!! Lot of traveling but well worth it!

its actually fairly easy to move around within visayas.

and yes, just skip puerto galera, capi. and palawan is great for wreck diving (Coron, particularly, and if wreck diving is your thing). and unless you're not doing Tubattaha, you can get a better diving experience somewhere else in Visayas.

But a week in palawan for Honday Bay Island Hopping, Underground River, Monkey Trail, Calauit Island, and discovering deserted and secluded islands around El nido and the Calamian Group, it would be quite an experience.

wow, bombarie that looks like a great itinerary and that from a dutchman whahaha.
Good to know I can get get all the info I need from you alone it seems...

On a serious note , the trip you mentioned looks really great however the vacation will will not only excist of diving alone.(have to consider the rest of the party whahaha) that`s why iIwould like to pick two or maybe three spots to from where we can go diving and do other stuff like exploring nature , hiking, sailing and of course relaxing and enjoying some drinks and great food. You mentioned quite some places so I will look them up and see what fits the best. manu thanks for the info on the whalesharks, I also found a park above Manilla where it is possible to swim and snorkel with the magnificent creatures..

the more I read it seems that visayas is the best area to go to so I guess I will put that in the itinerary, probably it is very hard to combine with palawan though. but as rhadamantus said Palawan is great to go for a week or so and there are loads of thgings to do. So maybe Palawan is for the relaxing and nature stuff and visayas for the diving...? I have to see if teh transfer can be done.
Do you guys know any gorgeous and affordable secluded, hideaways on ybot visayas and palawan? Not for the entire three to four weeks but a day of 5 of true luxury would be great...:)

thanks again for the info, I will check it all out and as soon as the plans get set I will let you know.

Cheers

Rolf

palawan, unless u go to the islands owned by really luxurious resorts, is a pretty laid back province. everything is cheap there and everything is basic (e.g. electricity only runs 6 hours every day, no hot showers, etc. etc.) it would be awesome! it would be a very nice backpacking adventure if you guys are up for it. (p.s. do not miss the things i have mentioned about palawan in my previous entry- they are absolute must!)

and with the FX rate, you will definitely find everything affordable.

places to go to in visayas for secluded hideaways would include (top of my head) camotes island in cebu, sumilon island, siquijor island. malapascua and bantayan islands in cebu might be out of the way but have been reviewed to be absolutely must-see (i have been to bantayan when i was a kid, i still have to visit malapascua).

you can click these links for a start: http://www.philippinecountry.com/philippine_beach/bantayan.html
http://www.philippinecountry.com/philippine_beach/elnido.html
http://www.philippinecountry.com/philippine_beach/hondabay.html
http://www.philippinecountry.com/philippine_beach/malapascua.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom