Trip report: Dumaguete and Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

planetary soul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trip Report: Dumaguete and Bohol

Dumaguete, Negros
We dove with Scuba Ventures based in Dumaguete. Very well priced, Filipino run dive shop. Service was good but expect budget services. The biggest difference would be more comfortable boat rides, but otherwise, it was ok. The DM wasnft so knowledgeable about fish names and such, but he was still good at finding stuff. However, there were no dive briefings and despite asking for a refresher for my beginner friend (hadnft dove since OW) she didnft get any review of any kind before the first dive. The good news is that it was only ever the 2 of us and the DM, so the DM could keep an eye on her and we had no worries about other divers sucking back the air too fast or getting fins in the face.
We dove 3 dives a day.

Apo Island
Drive from Dumaguete, then a long and very wet ride on a small and noisy banka to Apo. We dove Rock Point, Chapel, and Sanctuary ? all amazing sites. Apo is well-known for its coral, and rightly so. Stunning! Lots of fish, colourful coral, and several turtles too! Wish wefd had more time to dive here again, definitely worth diving for 2 days or more, and staying on the island would be ideal.

Sumilon Island
Even noisier banka boat to the Island. Again, nice reefs, fish, and turtles. Lots of pufferfish! Great diving, but not quite as great at Apo.

Dauin
Car Wrecks good for the little stuff like harlequin ghost pipefish. Lots of lioinfish! Sanctuary sloping reef dives were nice as well, some interesting fish, but the landscape didnft vary much. We did see a juvenile batfish which was cool!
Masaplod had a big school of jacks but the current swept us away and we missed the small reef. Shouldfve just stayed put with the jacks. Saw some blue-spotted rays and pipefish. Second dive we went back to the Car Wrecks, saw more harlequin ghost pipefish, cool nudibranchs, and lots of lionfish.

Overall, the diving here was really good. Lots of turtles! Wouldfve liked to have done the Mandarin fish dive as well, but didnft have time. Apo is a definite must-dive.

Panglao, Bohol
I dove with Scuba World on Alona Beach. Very professional and well run dive shop. I would definitely dive with them again. Dove 2 dives a day. They will take you out even if youfre just one diver! I dove Balicasag for 4 days and Panglao for 2 days.

Balicasag had beautiful wall dives. Lots of nudibranchs, a giant frogfish, sweetlips, batfish, groupers, banded sea snakes schools of jack fish, blue fin trevally and nice coral. And lots of my favourite cube box fish! Even diving the same sites, it's different every time.

One afternoon on the way back from Balicasag, we were fortunate enough to meet hundreds of spinner dolphins. They usually aren't out in the afternoon, but it was especially calm and we were lucky!
Great diving, great trip! I'd love to go back!

Thanks to everyone who helped me with their advice and experiences. Much appreciated. :D

Hey, glad you had a great trip. 4 days diving Balicasag! nice! I agree, I wished I spent more time diving on Apo Island. Next time, I'll consider staying over on the island.

BTW, does scubaventures have a resort in Dauin/ Dumaguete or is it only a dive shop?

Great report mate.

great trip report.
But if you come back next time try to stay on the island with Liberty lodge. and dive Coconut and cogon. They are the best sites in Apo. but its going to be a very fast drift dive. Lots of fishes .

I know! wish I could have dived that drift dive at Apo... I heard it was really nice... but the current would've been too much for my friend! next time maybe!

Scuba Ventures is just a dive shop in Dumaguete. We stayed at a hostel down the road, Harold's Mansion, which was good. Saved money this way, but may have been nicer atmosphere to stay at a resort. On the other hand, there wasn't so much time after 3 dives a day!

Here are some pics from my trip. It was my first time taking pictures underwater and I had so much fun! I'm going to have to get a camera of my own now!

Attachments

• Apo - green sea turtle 2.jpg
    Apo - green sea turtle 2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Balicasag - cube boxfish 6.jpg
    Balicasag - cube boxfish 6.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Balicasag - nudibranch 5.jpg
    Balicasag - nudibranch 5.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Balicasag - nudibranch 8.jpg
    Balicasag - nudibranch 8.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Balicasag - school of jacks 3.jpg
    Balicasag - school of jacks 3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Dauin - harlequin ghost pipefish 1.jpg
    Dauin - harlequin ghost pipefish 1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Dauin - lionfish 4.jpg
    Dauin - lionfish 4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Dauin - parrotfish 3.jpg
    Dauin - parrotfish 3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Dauin - rockmover wrasse 1.jpg
    Dauin - rockmover wrasse 1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Panglao - giant frogfish 2.jpg
    Panglao - giant frogfish 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 48
planetary soul:
Here are some pics from my trip. It was my first time taking pictures underwater and I had so much fun! I'm going to have to get a camera of my own now!

Good report and pictures, the picture of the Lion fish or more of a Turkey fish has to have been taken on the Alona Beach area of Bohol? I spotted some of the largest Lions in that area a few years back.

wow ¡¡¡¡¡¡

i wish my first pictures (and some of the latest) with the underwater were like yours.

Congratulations for the pictures and thanks for the report. I am going to all that places in two months and all information is usefull.

Back
Top Bottom