Dugongs in Palawan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, just started to think about possible dive trips for 2008. I thought I'd do something different than hitting the usual well known sites. I've just started reading about dugongs in Palawan island, although their numbers are down significantly nowadays.

Information on the internet is spotty, but it seems there is a conservation project based around Green Island Bay (Roxas) for the dugong but suspect diving is not allowed or is it? WWF-Philippines :: About

Some of the resorts closer to Coron like Club Paradise seem to promote possible dugong sitings: Dugong Dive Center

Anybody got info? What's the best season for dugong siting? Which shops? etc...

thanks,

was in club paradise two years ago. we searched for dugongs all day but didnt spot any. the guide said there used to be residents in front of the resort but they're gone now.
you might want to dive duka bay. will post report and pics in my multiply soon. its about 100kms from cagayan de oro city. the place may be too quiet for you though.

OK, just started to think about possible dive trips for 2008. I thought I'd do something different than hitting the usual well known sites. I've just started reading about dugongs in Palawan island, although their numbers are down significantly nowadays.

Information on the internet is spotty, but it seems there is a conservation project based around Green Island Bay (Roxas) for the dugong but suspect diving is not allowed or is it? WWF-Philippines :: About

Some of the resorts closer to Coron like Club Paradise seem to promote possible dugong sitings: Dugong Dive Center

Anybody got info? What's the best season for dugong siting? Which shops? etc...

thanks,

pm cathy/cla. she's based in palawan remember:wink:

I saw 'em at Club Paradise in 2002. Mother and calf. No camera :sad:

Oh, and I also did the "Seven Shooters in Seven Seconds Challenge". My name's on the board as the second-fastest in just over 4 seconds :D

I saw 'em at Club Paradise in 2002. Mother and calf. No camera :sad:
closest i've come to seeing a dugong was one that came up for a breath off the starboard bow... the boatman pointed it out but it was gone in an instant... this was offshore puerto princesa bay, was with cathy that time

didn't know these creatures were predictable enough to have tours organized around them...

Jag

at Club Paradise, you list up for a dugong dive and you will be called if and when there's a sighting. The call may never come during your stay, though....

Interesting... So is the diving around there still worthwhile without dugong sitings? I guess we could do the Coron wrecks if the reefs aren't too nice around Club Paradise.

reefs around club paradise took a big hit from El Niño, you'd think the fine white sands of the island extend well down to 60 to 70ft but its all coral turned white. But I enjoyed all my 3 dives there, two big turtles, school of jacks, giant clams, a couple of barrracudas and the best wreck dive in Busuanga ( kyokuzan maru) . I was still using a seamaster film camera then. Hmmm I wonder where my uw pics are....

You'll like the place (food is tops), they offer trips to coron and calauit "african safari" island. Don't go there without your gf.

Back
Top Bottom