Sogod & Dumaguete Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trip Report –Sogod Bay S. Leyte
16/02/08-23/02/08
Getting There- From Manila flew to Tacloban which is 3 ½ hr by car to the resort. From talking with other guest flying to Tacloban is more expensive but the better option. There have been various problems with ferries from Cebu recently. Tip- There is a nice statue of Macarthur just outside Tacloban.
Resort- Stayed at Sogod bay dive resort. Found it to be very friendly. Was made most welcome by the owners. Food was ok. Accom was very good value. Make sure you stay in the resort accom rather than the resort bungalows nearby.
Whale Sharks- Not seen. 08 has been a bad season for whale shark sightings compared to previous years. Only a few sightings have been made. These are normally found by local fisherman who get paid for the whale shark sightings. It has been reported that the water temp 28/27 C may have something to do with this. Last year water temps were lower. March is the peak season.
Diving- The diving was excellent.!! Walls, slopes, muck, house reef. Not much current & vis on a few dives was +30 m, best I have dived in Asia. Saw sea snakes most days. I was lucky & dived in small groups of 5/6. Best hard & soft coral I have ever seen. Not much big fish life. Best dive sites Pier night dive & Napantao MPA (great vis, great soft coral, thousands of fish. Perhaps my best dive ever.) Pedro the dive guide was a great spotter and great guide. Another plus was the lack of other divers. Only on 2 out of 16 dives was there another dive boat at the same site.
I would definitely consider a repeat visit. Either for the whale sharks or the diving in Jun/Jul; the reported best month for great visibility.
Conclusion. 16 dives , 3 average dives , rest very good. Take wide angle lens. Rating 8/10.

Trip Report –Dumaguete, Negros
24/02/08-05/03/08
Getting There- 1 hr flight from Manila. 45 mins drive from Airport to resort.
Accom – El Dororado Resort. $48 per night for full board was good. Resort was ok. Swimming pool and a few bars/ restaurants. Rooms were more than adequate. Food was average.
Diving- By onsite Dive society. Approx 30 divers , most from Europe(Germany). I done Rescue & Deep diver course & a few rec dives. Overall I was a bit disappointed. Apo Island was a disappointment as I was really looking forward to Apo before this trip. Apo Isl is about 40 min boat trip. Vis was 10-15 m, on some of the sites not that much interesting stuff to see. A few sites; Cogen were drift dives with large shoals of the biggest fish I have seen in the Philippines (Jacks, mackerel, Tuna). Pier & car wreck were ok. Pipefish&Sea horses were the highlight in the muck dives. The site I enjoyed the most was the house reef. Very good with a lot of variety. Nudis, eels, rays, turtles, grouper, large shoals of bait fish & lots of reef fish that were very friendly.
Reefs definitely not as good as Sogod but perhaps greater variety in fish life? Sanctuary/camera/general fees were high. I hope they are working.
Would not consider a repeat visit.
Conclusion – Approx 15 dives. Ok. Rating 6/10.

I will post some photos later

Sorry to hear you didn't like the Dumaguete area so much. I have always found it excellent and I'm headed back tomorrow morning.

I was in El Dorado just after 'Kevster', great value for a resort. I never went to Apo (spent a week there a few years ago). Thought the pier was excellent (frogfish, seahorse, demon stinger, fingered dragonet, nudii, etc.) also enjoyed the shore dives at the resort. I would go back. Just came from Sogod (Peter's Dive Resort), did see some whale sharks, in the water with them 6 times in 3 hours), the reef in front of Peter's and Sogod is also good (stone fish, demon stinger, turtles, nudii, etc.) and Napantao is a great dive. I would rate them both 8/10.

sorry to hear u didn;t see any whalesharks, esp Feb was right in the middle of the ws season.....

I was in El Dorado just after 'Kevster', great value for a resort. I never went to Apo (spent a week there a few years ago). Thought the pier was excellent (frogfish, seahorse, demon stinger, fingered dragonet, nudii, etc.) also enjoyed the shore dives at the resort. I would go back. Just came from Sogod (Peter's Dive Resort), did see some whale sharks, in the water with them 6 times in 3 hours), the reef in front of Peter's and Sogod is also good (stone fish, demon stinger, turtles, nudii, etc.) and Napantao is a great dive. I would rate them both 8/10.

Hey Nemo, how is Peter's Dive Resort?

CRW_0060_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
test-1st time posting photos
Did not work.
Trying to post some photos here

test 3

Chip,
It was interesting to see a few faces.
I hope you enjoyed the diving at Sogod as much as i did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom