Divemaster in Phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am new to the boards so let me introduce myself shortly. I live in Rotterdam, Netherlands and dove probb. 25-30 times. I dove in Thailand, Borneo, Cambodia and Mexico. Borneo was the nicest dive spot but I enjoyed the Cambodian way very much as well (cheap boat, catch fish and bbq on the boat, sleep on the boat outside, drink, smoke pot; just totally chilled out) Diving itself wasnt too spectalculair there though. Most exciting were the 'caves' in Mexico.

Well, I want to become divemaster this year and at the moment I am thinking about Phillipines. Why? I dont know, it sounds good and the idea of wreck diving and diving in some vulcano heated lake or something sounds wicked. (I heard about this at least)

Basically what I am looking for is a tropic place with a great vibe to go for a month or 6 weeks and dive like crazy but also enjoy beaches, food, drinks etc. I dont like mass touristy places but I prefer to stay in a place where is something to do after diving (not clubbing and all but I'd like it if there is more than just a divestore and small village where is nothing to do). Just wanna enjoy the whole dive-life thing :blinking:

I have a few questions though:

- I passed for my PADI advanced but I never received the card from them. I do have a fullcolour copy of the pinkish paper as proof though (one you receive from the diving shop) I already mailed PADI a few times and sent them the original paper. (Strange thing is btw that I sent in the OW and advanced card in the same envelope and only received the OW card) Never heard anything.. Will this be a problem/ what should I do?

- How much will it approx. cost me to do my divemaster? Including a place to sleep (simple stuff), food, drinks, occasionally party etc.? (excl. flight)

- Do you have any recommendations for good schools/ shops and if not, what should I pay attention to when searching/ selecting? (any good site with reviews and so on..) From my experience I really like the small shops with enthusiastic guys and not these mass school with 5 boats and 25 OW divers a day. Gear and all must be reliable but I dont care about luxury or extreme safety measures

- Anybody know if Scubajunkies in Sempoerna (sabah, malaysian part of Borneo) still exists? Really liked it there but they havent anwered my email yet from 10 days ago..

respect if you read all this :D

wreck diving and heated volcanic lakes are in Coron. Beautiful place. But it is a sleepy town so the night life is non-existent. I'd still recommend it though for the adventure lovers.

Puerto Galera sounds like a good deal for you. Sabang is relatively touristy, but nothing to the extent of Bali, Thailand, or Boracay. Also, the beach isn't very nice at Sabang, so you'll have to take a boat or trikie elsewhere to enjoy a nice beach. But Puerto Galera is a tropic place with a great vibe to go to for a month or 6 weeks and dive like crazy but also enjoy food, drinks etc. where there is something to do after diving.

I always recommend sunsplash resort to divers wanting to take their DMship, since they cater to long term boarders.

For dive shops, I would recommend Asia Divers, but it's a popular dive shop in PG and you seem to want a less popular one. A couple of people here did their DMship with Dive Dojo, they can fill you in with the details (CODMAN, Babydumalag).

Hope that helps.

Sonar,

Scuba Junkies is still there, and they now have a resort on Mabul as well. I think you might be interested to check out Bohol for the DM in PI. I did mine in PG at a great shop with great diving, but the vibe isn't probably what you are trying to find.... The diving around Sabang in first class, but I wouldnt call it a tropical paradise... I don't know about any shops or much about Bohol, just heard a little from people passing through PG.. Anyways, helps it helps a bit..

thx a lot guys

helped me a lot by searching further. Asia Divers looks very expensive to me though..

In 2005 my wife talked with a girl who was doing her divemaster training and living in Puerto Galera for a couple of months. She was paying $180/ month for her cottage on Big LaLaguna beach, (near Sabang) her only other expenses were for her food, elect. water.
I looked up Panglao Is lst year and found links for lodging for as little as $210/month again elect., food and water were not included in this rent. Puerto Galera will give you better experience as far as variety of diving opportunities.
Just contact a dive opperation in your chosen destination and ask them to help finding accomidations.
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines.

You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines.

the more I look the more convinced I get.. :blinking:

One more question; How is Internet there? I will have to look for a job while I am there and play a bit poker if want to stay longer. Need a solid, reliable connection for that and preferable a wifi one so I can play with my laptop

I just keep on searching in the boss' time.. Damn I wanna go soon. Damn money

But I have a few other questions;

- Is it a good idea just to select a location and go there and search for accomodation and a diveschool once I arrive? I mean it always looks good on a site and if you walk by you can see the people you r gonna spend hundreds of hours with on a small boat. My experience is also that it's always cheaper on location. Wosrst thing that can happen is that you have to wait a few days..

- What are the, let's say top 10, most favorite dive locations in Phillipines? It's a bit hard to find this information since most sites offer things so they have a commercial interest. Some will be real busy and commercial while others are totally in the middle of nowhere but once I know names I can search further :) When you guys speak over specific sites I never know if it's some hardcore secret dive spot or a regular spot..

- I hate the sexindusrty in Asia; Are the Philipines anyway like Thailand (probb Manilla) at dive locations?

- I get the impression that Philipines are more expensive than Thailand. Am I correct? What's an acceptable price for DM and accommodation? Probably strongly depending on the location(?)

- My budget would look like this: flight + 1K for DM + 750$ a month for accomodation, drinks etc. Is that realistic? I like cheap accomodation but good food, lots of drinks and so. I would also do other things than diving like renting a boat or scooter and so on..

I have been searching the boards to answer my questions but couldnt really find a anonymous answer to any of the questions above.

Thx again

My god, where to start Sonar???:D OK, firstly, welcome to Scubaboard and the PPD forum (Philippine Paradise Divers). yes the Philipines is an excellent place to do such a course; it's relatively cheap, the diving is awesome, and the people are great! i did mine last year (exactly 1 year ago today...) and boy do I miss it...:popcorn: Hope to get back there one day soon... Anyways...:D First advice is search this forum. this subject has been discussed a few times here and you'll find extra information that will help you. Now for what I have to say about it (get yourself a beer, this could be long....:rofl3:)....

Part I, yes you will need proof of your Advanced Open water course to be accepted. You also need minimum 25 dives, but that shouldn't be a problem for you. Also, you need to know that you need to do your rescue diver course before doing the DM! That takes about 1-2 weeks (depending on how fast a learner you are) and costs anywhere between 250-350 US$. So add that on to your costs and time requirements! Then your DM course will take anywhere from 2 weeks or more (depending once again on how fast you learn and how long of an internship is planned with your course) and will cost anywhere from 850$ to 1200$, depending on the operation... So yes it's costly, and you will have your hands full for your time there (4-6 weeks), but yes it,s incredibly fun!!!! OK, that's for the 1st part of my post...

Part II, do you have any idea of just how much work is involved in doing both the rescue diver and Divemaster course?:popcorn::popcorn: I'm not trying to turn you off, but there is a tremendous amount of bothe theoretical and practical work to be done for this!!!! Believe me, your 4-6 weeks there are not going to be all fun and games! Or if it is, you are not going to pass! :rofl3: It's hard work. Fun, but hard! If you are looking to go somewhere to dive dive dive and party, I'm not sure these courses are for you. You would be better off taking the money for the courses and paying for diving (at an average of 25$ per dive, and a total cost of 1200$ for both courses, you could get 48 recreational dives done!!!). That way you get all the pleasure of diving without the stress of exams, etc... and you can party all you want! This said, I enjoyed the learning process of doing the courses and working hard (yes, I'm crazy!!!:D) and am glad I did the courses. It's up to you to decide what suits you best! But just to give you an idea of all the work to be done... I did all my academic work before leaving for the Philippines! It took me a good 3 months to complete everything (and without wanting to brag, I'm a very fast learner!:popcorn:). There are litterally 500-600 pages of manuals to read, about 20 knowledge reviews to complete (each from 1 to 4 pages of writting), a complete excercise book to complete. Lots of theory to understand... I did it all to free up my time in the Philippines and enjoy myself more. And I'm glad I did! If I haddn't, I would have spent every evening reading and studying! instead, I got it over before going and it was much less stressfull... if you do decide to go for courses, I would suggest doing it like this...

PartIII, what are you looking to get out of the course? You need to discuss this beforehand with the instructor and make sure he understands what you are looking for and that he can provide this for you. I highly recommend contacting shops in advance for this reason. Also because each shop will only take a few DM candidates at a time, so better book in advance. So are you looking to work as a DM? if so, you really need to go with a dive operator with large crowds and several boats so you get a feel of what it's really about working as a DM. In this case, choose busier destinations such as Sabang (PG)... If what you want is to learn more about diving, and become a better diver (and you don't really intend to work much as a DM), then choose a smaller, more personalised operator which which can give you more close attention and a better experience. In this case, choosing more remote locations is fine... There are lots of good schools/ instructors there. I did mine with DIVE DOJO in Sabang. They are small and very technical oriented (I learned a lot). Great people. But not the best if you want to learn to be a DM in a dive resort (they don't get as much diver traffic as big resorts). As far as Sabang is concerned, there are several reputable schools (such as Asia divers). You just need to search and contact the schools... You can do it once there, but I recommend contacting in advance...

Part IV, yes there is a sex industry in the Philippines! It's part of the reality. Some places are worse than others. And from what I know, you can usually avoid it... I don't think general cost is more than Thailand... i'd say probably similar... But others who have been to Thailand will surely give their more fact based oppinion...

Cost of living over there can be dirt cheap... if you want to go local! That means renting accomodations outside the tourist area (and farther from the partying), eating local food, etc... Some meals are as cheap as 2$ Some are more like 25$ It's up to you to choose... If you're carefull, you can get along for cheap...

As far as internet is considered, well from my personal experience (and what I've been told) rock solid connexions outside the big cities don't exist. Downtime with internet connexions are frequent, although often you can have no troubles for days...

What's left to say? Major dive destinations in the Philippines... in no particular order...
Puerto galera (Sabang), Anilao, Subic, Malapascua, Moalboal, Dumaguete, Mactan, Bohol, Alona beach, Coron, I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty! Others will be along to add to this...

So, I've probably given you more to think about than you wanted...:rofl3::rofl3: Think about it and come back with more specific questions!!!!!

Cheers!:coffee:

wow codman

thx for this reply! I hope I can post with the same enthusiasm in a year :) . Thanks a lot
POinting out the study part is a good one cause I only thought about the fun part; can't deny that. Good to think about and I will definetly start before I leave..

My goal would be to become a good diver and dive dive dive. I like to guide other divers but not the way i saw in Mexico and Thailand (factory style). I like the idea of leaving the shore in the morning, make dives, eat some simple food on a small island or on the boat, than dive more, go back and be tired. Once in a while skip a day diving and check out other things or drink at night. I like to party but this doesnt necessary have to be close by as long as there are some people around down for a beer or a game at night. (basically dont like to sit alone; doing nothing)

Also good thing you point out about the timeplanning. Now I am forced to stay even longer haha. Two~three months sounds better this way. Also to check out other sites than the ones I will be teached at. Will have to quit my job anyway so why bother staying only 6 weeks.

Thx again a lot. I really appreciate your post :)

See below.

I just keep on searching in the boss' time.. Damn I wanna go soon. Damn money

But I have a few other questions;

- Is it a good idea just to select a location and go there and search for accomodation and a diveschool once I arrive? I mean it always looks good on a site and if you walk by you can see the people you r gonna spend hundreds of hours with on a small boat. My experience is also that it's always cheaper on location. Wosrst thing that can happen is that you have to wait a few days..

I'd personally do research first. Browse around the PPD a bit, you'll get some info. But you can also just show up and see which dive shop you'd like to go with. Puerto Galera and Alona, Bohol have plenty to choose from.

- What are the, let's say top 10, most favorite dive locations in Phillipines? It's a bit hard to find this information since most sites offer things so they have a commercial interest. Some will be real busy and commercial while others are totally in the middle of nowhere but once I know names I can search further :) When you guys speak over specific sites I never know if it's some hardcore secret dive spot or a regular spot..

From your posts, look up: Puerto Galera, Dumaguete, and Bohol. I'd also suggest Sogod Bay, Anilao, and Malapascua but those places are devoid of night life. Message cebudiver about Moalboal for more info or look up Bill22's posts.

- I hate the sexindusrty in Asia; Are the Philipines anyway like Thailand (probb Manilla) at dive locations?
Sabang in Puerto Galera is somewhat like that in the evening. Majority of dive shops that you can take your DM with (dive dojo included) are in Sabang. But you can stay on another beach and you'll be able to avoid it for the most part. If you want to avoid it completely think about going to the other mentioned places.

- I get the impression that Philipines are more expensive than Thailand. Am I correct? What's an acceptable price for DM and accommodation? Probably strongly depending on the location(?)
Depends where. Many places you can go that are really cheap.

- My budget would look like this: flight + 1K for DM + 750$ a month for accomodation, drinks etc. Is that realistic? I like cheap accomodation but good food, lots of drinks and so. I would also do other things than diving like renting a boat or scooter and so on..
$750/month living expenses is doable. Look up Sunsplash Resort, in Puerto Galera (it's in small la laguna beach) since they cater to long term boarders. For Bohol, talk to send a message to Gilligan who stays there and knows really cheap places.

I have been searching the boards to answer my questions but couldnt really find a anonymous answer to any of the questions above.

Thx again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom