Recommended Bohol Resorts and Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl_H

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning a (quickly organized!!!) trip to Bohol in just over a week and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for which resorts to stay at and which dive sites to put on the 'must-do' list :)

There will be two of us going, of which 1.5 of us will be diving - i.e. I'll probably be doing much more dives so a resort with some non-diving facilities like a nice pool or wifi or tv in room would be better - Hot water and better water pressure would also be an advantage :) Price range super important as it's only a short (3 night/4 day) trip, although obviously a lower price is always a big factor in any decision :)

I'd be keen to hear any recommendation for dive-sites, the priorities would be Macro photography and big fish! I've not dived Bohol before but I believe the chance of seeing the Hammerheads is now very unlikely? Any other sites where shark sighting are common, ideally bigger ones like thresher or gray reef sharks!

Any quick recommendations would be appreciated - I was going to book the flights today and the accommodation in a few days time.

Thanks,

Karl

Bohol Divers have a new diveshop and new equipment, swimming pool

I stayed at Oasis Resort, and dived with the attached SeaQuest.

No TV in the room, but great food, pool, hot water, friendly staff, clean, pretty, quiet... all around perfect.

Great diving too.

You're going to LOVE the diving.

unless they have improved , I would stay away from Phil Island Divers and Bohol Dive Club (unless you get one of the newer rooms. The older section is just plain Horrid !!

I recently dived all 5 sites at Balicasag Island and my favorite was Divers' Heaven. Beautiful wall and lots of color. I only dived 3 sites near Alona Beach (Kalipayan's good if you like weird macro critters) and I really enjoyed Arco Point (has a nice swimthrough cave, couple of frogfishes, and resident eels). Please let us know how your trip goes. I was there from Nov. 20-27 and the only thing that didn't impress me was the viz. I don't know if the recent typhoons had anything to do with it but it was 40 feet at best in the 60-80 range and much better above 30 feet. (Hope the locals can provide insight on this.)

Thanks to everyone for the tips :)

I've now booked with Bohol Divers (in the new bit!), they seemed the best operation from a dive planning point of view as they provided a full itinerary for what I was looking for rather than the normal 'dives are x php per person, we'll see about sites when you arrive...', the accommodation looks okay from website pics but I did double check it was the new bit :)

Looks like it will be around Alona for one day, a full day trip to Balicasag - Cabilao sounds great but is a little bit too far - maybe over Xmas I'll go direct and stay there!

I'll post a full report when I get back!

Thanks again for the tips, all really helpful!

Karl

Hi, couldn't compare since I've gone direct to the heart of the Island.., but if you are into a quiet place, and rates dont matter much, plus quick access to all six sites around the island (literally a stones throw away), Balicasag Island Dive Resort is your best bet. (was lucky to bunk in with a huuuge discount, part of a friends travel agency package).

Stayed there for 4 days, you could actually see everything in two, and guaranteed school of jacks and turtles on every dive. The school of barracudas must be done in the morning, 7-11am, and dont forget the mandarin fish at 5pm at divers haven, ...

my only complaint on the resort is free water is tap, not purified so you're forced to buy bottled water.. which I think is weird... for a dive resort not supplying this basic thing...

Only on the 3rd day we discovered that there are actually sari sari stores on the left side of the resort, where non divers dock to see the island lighthouse and those just there for snorkling, so cheap food is available.

I havent stayed at Alona beach but if you want a party and mingle with people at night, its probably the best place to stay here rather Balicasag Is Dive resort, (Alona is the beach where dive boats are docked) but with the torpid speed of the boats, I could only imagine how long it takes to get from Alona to the sites at Balicasag. At Balicasag Island, all sites within 5-10 minutes, and boats are all Palau style inspired and quick.

Out of the six sites, Black Coral Forrest was the best (had it all, big and small and saw sharks 2 times, but just a quick glimpse, no lingering), but after your third day, you'll realize you can actually circle a third or of the island / or two sites on one dive (depending on your consumption).

Anyway, here's a short vid of our bohol dive,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMKM1qkMB8

diving balicasag was a great experience and a worthwhile dive trip

those interested may contact dm Raul direct.. his cp no. +639155849126, great fun guide, keen divers eye and even shared us tips to calling barracudas and jacks

Giday Karl...

I maybe heading over to Bohol in Jan... 4 or 5 days from HKG and I'd be very interested to here your feed back... transport , accom etc. Traveling by myself accom needs only to be clean, queit, Hot water and has a safe... and very close too to a good dive centre, don't wana have to carry gear to far each day!

Cheeeers 30M

Back
Top Bottom