PCG Diver dies during retrieval operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwhkg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
MANILA, Philippines - A deep-sea diver of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) died Friday afternoon after retrieving a body from the sunken ferry MV Catalyn B off Limbones Island in Cavite province.

Commodore Luis Tuazon Jr., PCG-National Capital Region commander, said Petty Officer 3 Armand Bonifacio was declared dead on arrival at the Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center at 3:40 p.m..

Tuazon said the Bonifacio collapsed after he and his buddy, a certain Petty Officer Cahilig, retrieved a woman's body from the Catalyn B, which is sitting 221 feet under the waters off Limbones Island in Maragondon town.

He said that based on the doctors' initial findings, the diver died after suffering from cardiac arrest. The PCG has asked the hospital to subject the diver's body to an autopsy to confirm the cause of death.

The PCG has temporarily halted the retrieval operations for the trapped bodies inside the Catalyn B, which sank last December 24.

The death toll in the Catalyn B's sinking has reached 11 after the retrieval of the woman's body. Forty-four passengers survived the mishap while 16 more remained missing
...abs-cbn website

what are the chances that he dove on air?

I got a message from Matt the other day and he was working on this operation. Matt is a very experienced trimix certified ANDI diver. Dove with Matt many of times and he has very good knowledge of using mixed gases and excellent diving skills.

andibk

what are the chances that he dove on air?
i wouldn't be surprised if it was 100%

as i said - i seriously doubt the PCG has divers trained, certified and equipped to dive on those profiles - the equipment alone costs $$$ and considering that in most maritime disasters it's way too deep for humans to dive anyway

Jag

I got a message from Matt the other day and he was working on this operation. Matt is a very experienced trimix certified ANDI diver. Dove with Matt many of times and he has very good knowledge of using mixed gases and excellent diving skills.

andibk
would be interesting to learn more from Matt... sad accident if this poor grunt was ordered down to 220' by some REMF whose idea of "diving" is visiting his favorite club in pasay.

:shakehead:

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom