Stay in Dumaguete, Dauin or on Apo Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning on going to Apo Island for some diving. I hear the place is great, so I am really sold on going there. I have talked with the 2 hotels on Apo Island itself but I am still unsure where best to stay while there. Either on Apo Island itself, Dumaguete or near Dauin.

Any opinions?

recap of what was said in other threads:
apo island: pros-quiet, near dive sites around the island; cons-not much macro, limited electricity, limited water, isolated (pro for some)
dauin: pros-quiet, near some of the best macro sites in the country, wifi, water and electricity; cons-not much except that it is 30 minutes by boat away from the high voltage apo island dives, also about 30 minutes from the nightlife of dumaguete city
dumaguete: pros-everything a small city has to offer such as night life, malls, etc. cons-farthest from the dive sites

i see Dauin is closer than Dumaguete to the great diving around Apo Island. if i decide to go to Dauin or Dumaguete, what are some of the best places to stay at and dive operators to dive with?

riii111
have a look at el dorado resort in dauin. dive operation not the cheepest but overall a pretty good place to stay. they run almost daily trips to apo which is much more convenient than staying on the island.

i don't understand the fuss about apo. it's ok or even good but only on a claudless day.

are you into macro - house reef good too and starts just about 30' from shore. besides that on the housreef you have the freedom to dive whenever you feel like (buddy system).

food is about the best you can have in the whole of the visayas ;-)

@swisstrav where do you recommend to go diving in PI?

@cim72lando i looked at http://www.bahura.com/home, the rooms are $200USD per night. that is out of my price range and that does not include any diving cost.

where did you stay?

RJ, I think you are going to win a prize for "Most frequently asked question by same person in different posts!"....:D:D

@swisstrav where do you recommend to go diving in PI?

:D fair enough......:D

i just want to make the most of my trip and the best way is to ask people who have been before. plus it is good to get several people's opinion and not just one.

I will say codman.....you have been a big help.

thanks.

I understand what you mean RJ! :D:D Just remember, no matter how well you plan, or how many people you ask for advice, your trip WILL NOT BE PERFECT...:coffee: We can't control everything (and imagine how boring it would be if we could!!?? :D) You might miss the sardines (even if in a sardine renown location), might miss the pelagics all together... The resort might turn out to not be THE best... you might get some disapointments along the way...:depressed: But... There will surely be some unexpected surprises too :D and all kinds of great things you didn't expect! That's what travelling and diving are all about! :D One thing I am sure of.... You are going where there is great diving and great people... Unless you are clinically DEAD, you are going to have a great time!!!! :D:D:D Oh, and I envy you for going when I can't...:coffee:

Cheers!!!

:D fair enough......:D

i just want to make the most of my trip and the best way is to ask people who have been before. plus it is good to get several people's opinion and not just one.

I will say codman.....you have been a big help.

thanks.

Since I returned from PI on March 2009, I have been saving all the vacation time I could. This time I plan to stay around 3 weeks.

Yes I think the people are great and diving is good too......

Part of making the most of my trip is planning out where to go, what is worth seeing and what is not. I agree nothing is prefect in travelling half way around the world for fun but I plan to do the most with the time I have there....

My original trip plans have changed a couple of times, because I find out about better places to go to and where to stay location wise. All the places I plan to stay at will be as best I can tell good hotels and good diving and fun to boot. My issue comes more into actual travel in country and getting around the area for fun and site seeing.

Codman, we are both on the same page, I will have a whale of a time while in PI.:D:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom