Anilao 29 May - 4 June; a family diving trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi PP divers
Thanks everybody for all response and information on my previous thread so we have a fabulous trip.
We just come back from Anilao. Simply – an amazing dive destination – we really enjoy our time there. “Almost” perfect family dive trip – I will rate it as one of our best trips.
I promise to write a report – but I’m very lazy – so this will be a quick and short report. I’ve asked my daughters to write proper reports and update into their blogs once she come back from boarding school this weekend.

The journey
We got the best promo ticket to Manila – just cost us less than USD 180 for fullboard airfare using Royal Brunei to Manila. The schedule is not convenient but the flight is excellent – depart and arrive timely. Less than 20 minute after we landed we meet our driver who bring us for another 2.5 hours journey to Anilao. Arrived at Arthur’s Place Anilao at 01:30 am – there’s two staff was waiting for us and help us to bring our heavy luggage. Our room was ready – so, at 2.00 pm I can hear my wife snoring :wink:. We wake –up 7 hours later and jumpto the water for the first dive at 10:00 am.

Accommodation
We chose Arthur’s Place – and quite happy with our decision. For the first two nights, they placed us into 2 double AC room as the family room was booked by other. Nothing fancy in the room, small and basic but clean, no cockroach and or other insect. On the next 5 nights, we stay at their nice beach family room, 2 double beds in a large room, nice veranda facing the sea and sombrero island; and only few meter to the diving station.
One of the reason we select Arthur’s place – they have ala carte menu. Being a small resort, the can accommodate all our request well. The meals are delicious but served in small portion.
Arthur’s place is a small “budget resort” with only 12 rooms. But we seem we came at off-peak season – we are the only divers stay there for a week. Except during the week end we feel all the resort was belong to us – perfect. No Wi-fi, No satellite TV. Yes, there’s a TV in the restaurant with DVD and karaoke system – according to my daughters, I am not a bad singer just better not to sing. There’s also a pool table but none of us know how to use it.
So what our activities other than diving?
Except for the first day and last day our routine start at 5:30 am by “playing tennis”, no Roland Garos but more like Wimbledon with softer grass – good enough for volley practice- and we use their beach chairs as a net. My daughter’s tennis coach (from Phillipine) had arranged a friendly match again jr. players in Manila before we left the country.

melatennis.jpg

Diving
Typically, we jump to the water for first dive at 07:00; then have a quick breakfast, second dive at 10.00 – and if weather permit we have third dive at 14:00 pm. Then, another tennis session at 17:00 pm.

3s.jpg

These activities keep us busy – in between we typically discuss what we found in the water, reading a book, quick nap and my elder daughter usually busy with her camera.

We have Lito as our guide for the whole week. Our request is simple – easy good diving suitable Jr. OW divers; lot to see, anything – we have no specific preference – we love beautiful coral, we are fascinated with unique small critters; we enjoy to see pelagic; wall diving is nice; muck diving is more than okay. And we got it all – that’s the beauty of Anilao’s sites. You don’t have to go deep to enjoy all these attractions. Our typical bottom time is 70 – 90 minutes; and we still have plenty of air.

We are very happy with the service of Lito and boat crew as well as other Athur’s place staff – highly recommend for somebody looking for simple, and clean dive resort with great service at very affordable cost.

Total 15 dives in 6 diving days, incl. one night dive at Secret Bay. We expect to have 3 dives/day unfortunately not always possible to have third dive in the afternoon. In the morning the weather and sea condition are in perfect condition; except on our last diving day, Thursday 3 June 2010 where we have to change the dive sites. Our favorite sites are twin rock (3 x), coral garden at sombrero island, layag-layag, mainit point and Kirby rock and secret bay.

On our last diving day, Thursday 3 June 2010, Initial plan was to dive the cathedral and eagle point; due to strong wind, rain, rough sea and strong current we divert to Basura and Secret Bay (again) for the second dive. After a bit disappointed with Basura, too many plastic trashes but not many critters; we stopped at Eagle Point resort to have breakfast there. The most expensive “plain” pan cake we ever paid – Php 420 :shocked2: per portion. We only paid php 120 for the similar but more delicious pan cake at sea’s spring resort at Secret bay.

The resort seem nice; they have fresh water swimming pool; sea water pool with black tip and groupers; eagles and other birds in captivity. Many people may like it but not the place we would like to stay when visit Anilao again. Our second dive at Secret Bay was very relaxing and warm particularly after a very difficult journey in the strong wind and rain and choppy seas. After this hard day, we all got influenza – I was the worst. Good thing – that’s our last diving day.

We are very happy with the service provided by Lito and boat crew as well as other Athur’s place staff – highly recommend for somebody looking for simple, and clean dive resort with great service at very affordable cost. Total 7 nights, 6 diving days, 60 dives, a la carte meals, 75 bottles of drinking water - cost us (4 pax) less than Php 100,000.
Here is few pictures taken with Oly SP-350 and Metz 58AF-1 housed strobe in full TTL mode. For the reefscape, I use a 23 bucks wide angle lens!! Mostly natural light. Check this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/338416-non-wet-wide-angle-lens-underwater-yes-work.htmlfor more info of this supercheap wide angle lens.

lionfishanilao.jpg

wartyfrogfish.jpg

tassledlionfish.jpg

softcoral8.jpg

seastarwal.jpg

reefscape4.jpg

pinkanemonefish.jpg

nudi_Hbulloki2.jpg

octointheshells.jpg

tinyanemoneshrimp.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for a great trip report and the great pictures. You are a very talented photographer. I am planning my next family vacation, and can't yet decide between Ani Lao or Puerto Galera. You really have me leaning towards Ani Lao. Thanks again.

Wonderful trip report & photos! I like the frogfish, the octopus & the shrimp! Glad to see the photo of the ladies! :blinking:
Was the photo of the seahorse taken with available light only?

Wisnu, Thanks for the report and pics, I look forward to reading your daughters blogs. Let us know when they are posted... Sounds like Arthurs Place was a good choice.

Cheers,
Roger

Great trip report. Your experience at Arthur's was the same as mine. I would definitely go back there again.

niiice. haven't read a trip report on anilao for some time now. thanks wisnu :)

Ok I'm definitely going to Anilao next time I go to PI. Wonderful shots! I really love that frontal frogfish portrait, it's amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom