Diving in the Philippines for the 1st time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mklh2010

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are interested in diving in the Philippines and there seem to be many choices. We are looking for a spot with easy transportation from Manila for about 3 days in October - November. My husband and I are both experienced divers. Any recommendations for a first visit? Thank you.

Anilao is close to Manila with easy transportation that's about 3-4 hours away. Very good spot for Macro Photography if you are into that. They also have a variety of different levels of diving. Marine life and Coral life is good. Turtles, Barracuda, a young whale shark has been spotted there, etc... Lot's of resorts to choose from.

As above post, a lot closer than Anilao by 1/2 is Sabang Beach area near Puerto Galera. The ride there in a panga taxi is only about an hour.

Here are some pix Philippines Puerto Galera pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket
Philippines Hotel Atlantis Pto Galera pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket
Philippines 2 Puerto Galera pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket

8bef-1.jpg

We have returned to the Hotel Atlantis twice now. Having been to a lot of dive destination properties, we can see no reason to change! We really like this operation.

My husband and I are both experienced divers.

That takes in a lot of descriptions. Backrolls on command from high gunneled boats. Passing your gear up to the boatsman, Surface signaling with an SMB shot from your safety stop, ripping currents (downwellings, too). For most people, it will redefine "experienced" and you'll come away being a diver of a greatly broadened experience base. It aint the Caribbean~ It's more like a very warm Galapogos with lots of pretty colors & critters.

We are interested in diving in the Philippines and there seem to be many choices. We are looking for a spot with easy transportation from Manila for about 3 days in October - November. My husband and I are both experienced divers. Any recommendations for a first visit? Thank you.
With 3 days to dive, subic may be an option. anailo is nice, but quiet at night and you are pretty much going to eat and dive from one resort as they are spread out a bit.
I like PG as you can have more options on who to dive with from budget to expensive and the resort choices are many. Plus eating out at different places is easy.
Plus going to PG only adds a ferry ride over to mindoro from batangas city, so time wise maybe an extra hour or two.
You didn't say if you had transportation worked out.
Some places can arrange this for you as well.

Another vote for PG, just because it has more varied diving (wrecks, drifts, Tech, etc...). But either get rave reviews and I donb,t think you can go wrong whatever you choose...:coffee:

I haven't been to Puerta Gallera but I have been to Alona Beach on Panglao Island, Bohol which would fit your needs. It is now one of three of my favorite places to dive which includes Malapascua Island and Apo Island. Although it would require a plane flight to Tagbilaran, after you land you are a short taxi ride (30 minutes) from a scuba shop, hotel and some really good diving. I think it would cost more but be less hassle than going to PG. I liked it because of the diversity of critters, healthy corals and healthy fish populations. There are also a good variety of restaurants along the beach serving fresh seafood. Give it some thought.

My opinion on those THREE places that had been mentioned:
1.)Anilao: Resort based, dive sites are near but nothing else. The dive boats are small which offer not much shelter against the elements. They tend to go out for two dives and then return to base so if the weather is foul..... 3-4 hrs from Manila
2.)Puerto Galera: Dive shops and resorts are more diversified. Things to do at day/night eg. eating at various places, a bit of shopping, occasional live music. Dive sites are also very near probably even more so than Anilao. Dive boat only go out for one dive except probably Vere Island and then come back to the shop afterwards. More comfortable surface interval eg. a refreshing soft drink, snack, worshipping the sun or just a siesta etc etc. But you do need a boat to cross over. 3-4 hrs from Manila
3.)Subic: Wreck diving eg. USS. New York!!! Not that many dive shops to choose BUT plenty of resorts in Subic Free Port and around Baloy Beach. 3-4 hrs from Manila.

You are NOT doing any justice for spending ONLY three divng days in this country. Make sure you and your husband come back for more.

Centrals sums it u pretty good. I might add that during the week Anialo is very, very quite. As a result it will cost you more because you will need to pay for the boat and DM. On the weekends, when the manila crowd shows up you can split the cost of the boat and DM between several people. In PG it is one price for boat and DM. Most dive sites are 5-10' from the dive shop.
Anialo it can be 15-40' away. If possible if you choose PG, sign up for a Verde Island trip. You will not regret it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom