2+ weeks in Philippines: where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbird71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I am visiting the Philippines for 16 days in Dec-Jan. I chose Philippines because I want some nice wreck diving, so Coron is definitely on my list. I am wondering how long I should stay there, and if there is another great spot for diving that I should consider. I was thinking Boracay but would like some advice.

Hi All,

I am visiting the Philippines for 16 days in Dec-Jan. I chose Philippines because I want some nice wreck diving, so Coron is definitely on my list. I am wondering how long I should stay there, and if there is another great spot for diving that I should consider. I was thinking Boracay but would like some advice.

I would stick with 2 places tops as Coron will cost you some time for travel there and back to Manila. Coron was my first dive trip to the Philippines. I had as many dives as you do but my air usage wasn't so great even with the 15 liter tanks they had available. So you like wrecks as you said but what else do you like? Low key places, night life, just diving nothing but diving? What kind of critters? Are you a photographer? Traveling alone or with a group? My top three places are Apo Island, Alona Beach - Panglao Island and Malapascua Island all for different mix of reasons. I dive places that easily accomodate single divers but there are some places that are cheaper if you have a group.

So you like wrecks as you said but what else do you like? Low key places, night life, just diving nothing but diving? What kind of critters?

I like pretty much everything... wrecks, reef, macro, cave. I'll be traveling alone so hopefully somewhere that's social, although my bar hopping days are behind me.

Another option I am considering is just staying in/around Coron for the entire time. I'm looking to transition into some technical diving, and might devote some time to getting a wreck/ deep diving cert.

Jbird, in that case I would suggest 1- Coron; fly there spend a week, then fly back to manila, then 2- PG (Sabang). There is tons of great diving there, and many many good Tech diving shops/schools (I got Tech certified there). It has night life/ social life (there is a lot, but you can easily avoid it to the extent you desire) and is an easy 3-4 hours from Manila without any additional flights. Anilao is closer to Manila, but little Tech diving and no night/ social life except for the bar at the resort you'll stay at. And not as easy for a single diver since they split banka/ divemaster costs amongst all the divers (you are alone? You pay for it all!).

Anyways, that's what I'd do unless you prefer sticking around Coron for your entire stay.

Hope this helps!:coffee:

I like pretty much everything... wrecks, reef, macro, cave. I'll be traveling alone so hopefully somewhere that's social, although my bar hopping days are behind me.

Another option I am considering is just staying in/around Coron for the entire time. I'm looking to transition into some technical diving, and might devote some time to getting a wreck/ deep diving cert.

what codman says

If you dont like travelling too much i would say Coron - anilao. If you don't mind a few hours extra and would like some nightlife after sleepy coron i would definitely go to Puerto galera

I would not recommend Coron for more than a week. It is a sleepy little town and even quieter if you are at one of the resorts.

Everyone pushes Puerta Gallera (PG) here but I haven't been there yet so I can't really say what I may be missing. But for a not too quiet place with healthy coral, good fishes (fusiliers, jacks and baracuda) and some macro stuff I would recommend Alona Beach on Panglao Island, Bohol province. Although it may cost more to fly to Tagbilaran I bet you can get there just as fast if not faster than to PG. It would certainly be less hassle - fly from Manila to Tagbilaran 2hrs + 30min. taxi to resort/dive shop. It really has a good underwater environment as I saw more eels there than anywhere else I've been. I would recommend Philippine Fun Divers as others have on the board. Overall wherever you go I can't recommend night dives strongly enough. You will see some great critters almost no matter what.

Not sure of the etiquette here, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but i have the same question!

Planning approx 2 and a half weeks from mid August with my partner&buddy, my main concern is actually weather- how windy is the monsoon season? We don't mind some rain, but if it's too windy for dive boats and inter-island ferries it might be best to save it for another time.

I have about 80 dives, he has about 110, me advanced, him rescue. I'm a bit scared of wrecks, but other than that we'll take whatever's going. We have dived alot in Thailand.

We were leaning toward Palawan, and don't mind travelling around to see different areas as long as there's not too much internal flying. Would Cebu be better? Could we travel around Palawan for 2 weeks? Or elsewhere? We're not looking for crazy nightlife, just somewhere yummy to eat dinner and have a couple of beers.

Any input gratefully received.

Thanks
Jen :kiss2:

Must be a trend - I have some of the same questions! I was in PG last fall for a week and had fun - traveling alone was fine. Have another week this fall and am wondering about the best place for macro diving. Thought about Bohol, and have also had people suggest Palawan. Any opinions?

If you dont like travelling too much i would say Coron - anilao. If you don't mind a few hours extra and would like some nightlife after sleepy coron i would definitely go to Puerto galera

Yup, I agree. IMO the diving in Anilao is much nicer than PG, but it is indeed sleepy. Try Mayumi Enjoy Philippines - Travel - Mayumi Dive Resort.

Great to spend a weekend in Anilao then head to PG for some mid week night life. Try Tech Asia Technical Diving Courses - Puerto Galera - Philippinesfor the tech experience, or Action Divers for lower key.

Coron - try Discovery Divers - Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Gunter, the owner, developed the area:Discovery Divers: Wreck Tek & scuba diving in Coron, Palawan, Phlippines.

You can reach Gunter here on SB: ScubaBoard - View Profile: gunter.bernert

Have fun, the wrecks in Coron are fantastic!

Thanks to everyone for your advice and especially the dive shop recommendations.

One further question: I want to take my wreck (and possible deep) diving course while I'm away. I can't decide if I should do the training in Coron or PG, and the order I should visit each.

I think Coron makes a lot of sense because its a natural place for wreck diving, and since its so sleepy I might as well spend my time studying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom