Bohol/Malapascua Bound!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LaiLaiDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm two weeks away from my first diving trip to the Philippines, and I'm very excited! I've dived Fiji, Bonaire & Roatan.... should hit dive #100 on this trip! :D

We'll be one week in Bohol (Flower Beach in Anda - the quiet side of the island)
And one week in Malapascua (TSD/Logon Beach Resort)

A couple of last minute questions:

Wetsuit - 3mm full suit? 3mm shortie? or both?
Sandflies - are they much of a problem? I know it's the wet season....
Footwear - do I need any more substantial than flip flops? I've heard you can basically live barefoot on Malapascua....
Valuables - I'm assuming it's best to leave the laptop at home?

Any other suggestions/insight/stories from those of you who have been?
Anyone from SB going at the same time?

Hi I just got back from Bohol.. You will be fine with a 3mm full suit or thinner suit. I was using a 1mm wet suit the whole time, The only reason i was not using a rash guard now is because of jelly fish stings, there is a lot of jelly fish now. as for files and mosquitos dont forget to bring your insect repellant. You only need to bring your flip flops, you can basically wear them anywhere here in the Philippines. As for valuables it really depends on where you are staying.

As for bohol check out Black forrest.. it was really awesome.

I'm two weeks away from my first diving trip to the Philippines, and I'm very excited! I've dived Fiji, Bonaire & Roatan.... should hit dive #100 on this trip! :D

We'll be one week in Bohol (Flower Beach in Anda - the quiet side of the island)
And one week in Malapascua (TSD/Logon Beach Resort)

Footwear - do I need any more substantial than flip flops? I've heard you can basically live barefoot on Malapascua....

MikeEng gave you very good advice, I would add that you could bring a pair of Tennis Shoes in case you like to hike, because you may find yourself in a position to take an impromptu stroll through some rough terrain.. I would also not fear bringing the laptop especially if you use it work on Photos or videos... Many places have wireless internet that you can also use.... I have never had anything stolen and I have traveled fairly extensively throughout the Philippines....

Cheers

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I'm not a fan of jellies, so I'll definitely have the full suit along in that case. Considering I'm doing 2 weeks of diving, probably not a bad idea to have both suits along to fit my given mood.

Thanks Roger, I'll bring along a pair of Tevas for any rough terrain - would probably be good for our transit day across Cebu as well.

I know both places have wifi we can use, so the netbook is tempting just to keep up with emails... we'll see if we have room for it! On the other hand, might be nice to be "unplugged!"

Also, since you are in the area...

Try to dive Balicasag and Cabilao if you can (islands on the south west and west coast of Bohol, respectfully)...and Mike Eng is right, Black Forrest is awesome.

As for gear, IMO a full suit is best...mainly for protection, but also because there is so much to see even at shallow depths that you will want to stay in the water as long as you can. I was on a dive in Balicasag and the group surfaced not because of air, but because they were getting cold. Even with such warm surface temps, if you are in the water for an hour...you can get cold.

Lastly, Bohol is an amazingly beautiful island. You will want to explore it almost as much as the surrounding reefs. Definitely bring footwear that will be comfortable for walking and traveling...I rented a motorbike and toured the entire island. Chocolate Hills, cascading rice fields, waterfalls, etc...worth the trek.

Water is between 27-30 here in Malapascua right now...so shortie is fine...but the other are right re protections.
Sandflies and mozzies are in their peak right now, but personally I dont find them too much of a bother. You'll probably find its too warm to want to wear long pants anyway.
I cant find my flipflops...
Laptop is handy as a lot of places dont have desktops for you to use...I think TSD has a laptop they pass round...if you bring yours you can most likely keep it safe at the dive shop when you are not in your room - but I would want to leave too much in the room.

Suggestions? Dive Monad plenty to maximise your chances of a great dive; dive Gato; eat at Angelina's; walk around the island(wear sunscreen); oh and come for a drink in The Craic House.

Enjoy,

Matt.

Thanks, guys! And Matt, my hubby is a Brit stuck living in America, so a visit (or two!) to The Craic House is definitely on the list! We look forward to meeting you & experiencing your little corner of paradise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom