whats the diving like in...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pughio83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any comments on the quality of the diving in the following places would also be appreciated,
1) el nido (palawan)
2)dumaguete
3)Anilao

Thinking of adding one of these destinations into my next trip. Im a big fan of both unusual macro, and pelagics. I know anilao and dumaguete are macrospots but was just wondering what experienced divers think.
, and not heard about el nido's diving quality other than rare dugong spots.

1. El Nido
Dived there once at least 10yrs ago. Staying at El Nido town which really had "frontier" feeling. The roads were NOT paved and power only came between 6-12am. I was staying in a place just below a cliff. The room was OK but with good ventilation, windows and doors were screened therefore I kept them open all night. No problem with security there. I believe Bicuit divers was the first dive shop there but the German who set up the shop had long gone before my arrival. There were at least two more operators.
Diving was very ordinary as dynamite fishing was rampage then. We actually caught one of the boat red-handed. There were so many dead fish under water...what a waste.
Above water scenery was very good BUT I was there for scuba diving!!!
Getting there is half the fun by road from Puerto Princessa.

2 and 3 : Need no introduction.

Yeah i guess my impression of el nido was top side lovely but diving average for philippines. Would love to go anilao, and dumaguete but i believe that pier has now gone which friends say was awesome for macro. Well i guess given im with a non diver then maybe go PG or cebu. thanks for the advice re el nido.

Dumaguete is still excellent macro diving even without the pier. The Cars is a fantastic site to spend time on deep(24-27m) at the cars, and then come shallow and spend as long as you want hunting mimics, frogfish, demon stingers, and a host of other stuff in the shallows all the way up to ankle deep water.

Also check out the reef in front of atlantis, and the San Miguel reef. Both are home to an ara of cool stuff.

Of course if you want pelagics AND macro then Malapascua is the place to be... :)

Thanks for advice. I presume malapascua you refer to threshers? Or they have a lot of other pelagics? I have heard there is a lot of coral dmage from dynamite fishing in malapascua?

Thanks for advice. I presume malapascua you refer to threshers? Or they have a lot of other pelagics? I have heard there is a lot of coral dmage from dynamite fishing in malapascua?

The Threshers certainly are the most common sighting here. But there are seven recognised types of 'mega-fauna' here, the others being whitetip sharks, grey reef sharks, tiger sharks, devil rays, giant manta rays, and eagle rays... Personally I've seen all of the above quite regularly other than the tiger.... there's also regular sightings of good sized tunas

Hope that answers the question.

Matt.

Dumaguete - Just staid 2 days at the Eldorado Beach Resort. Wonderful ! Their "house reef" has plenty to see and the 3 tank dive + BBQ to Apo Island was fantastic ! I would not hesitate to go again. Only reason I staid only 2 days was to meet a LOB there. WIsh I had arranged 2 days earlier than that.

NAIBdiver1

Back
Top Bottom