Condition of Apo Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Earlier this summer I heard that the reef at Apo Island sustained quite a bit of damage. Has anyone visited in the last month or so?

Do you know if the impact affected the diving or dive tourism?

I had the pleasure of diving Apo Island August 15 - unbelievably beautiful. The areas that I dove were in great shape - probably the best dive of 2 & 1/2 weeks in the Philippines.

Earlier this summer I heard that the reef at Apo Island sustained quite a bit of damage.

Was also at Verde August 17 and Apo on August 20 and thought the reefs were in great shape. Being first trip to PI I really have no prior knowledge. Stayed one week in PG and one in Dumeguette and had an awesome time.:cool2:

Humm, perhaps it was isolated damage. Good to hear that Apo is still as beautiful. Thanks!

I heard that a banca boat dragged across a reef causing some minor damage to that local area. Of course the locals wanted to fine the guy (bribe me or else). But I dove Apo twice this year and it was beautiful as usual, I did not notice reef damage. I think right at the main anchor area for the main settlement, there must be a lot of anchor damage and possibly boats dragging. Nobody dives there anyway. It's a small island on the map, but has a lot of good sites when you are there, really a nice area.

One thing that annoys me is a camera fee. What's with that? Because they can get it, they charge P300 to use a camera, in addition to sanctuary fees. Well, it supports the locals, who presumably fish less. Although I saw a lot of fishing when I was there.

I heard that a banca boat dragged across a reef causing some minor damage to that local area. Of course the locals wanted to fine the guy (bribe me or else). But I dove Apo twice this year and it was beautiful as usual, I did not notice reef damage. I think right at the main anchor area for the main settlement, there must be a lot of anchor damage and possibly boats dragging. Nobody dives there anyway. It's a small island on the map, but has a lot of good sites when you are there, really a nice area.

One thing that annoys me is a camera fee. What's with that? Because they can get it, they charge P300 to use a camera, in addition to sanctuary fees. Well, it supports the locals, who presumably fish less. Although I saw a lot of fishing when I was there.

It's because divers with cameras annoy the rest of the divers when they stay at one point for 10 minutes. The other divers all get a share of your 300 when you are rinsing your casing :crafty:

Nah, it's because they can. Thats the only reason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom