5 weeks diving in Philippines - list of spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newbie - 2010

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi people - first post!

I'll be heading over to the Philippines mid-December to the end of January this year and would like peoples opinions on where I should be spending my time diving? (Bearing in mind I will also want to visit non-diving places i.e. Sagada, Banuaue, Palawan)

A rough idea I have at the moment is: - Anilao, Dumaguete, Moalboal, Coron/Busuanga, Panglao Island, Malapascua...

Also a quick side question for those who have visited Philippines from the UK and applied for a visa...on the form they ask for a reference in the Philippines...what can I put for this?

Many thanks!

Don't miss Apo Island, mellow, beautiful and very far away from the hustle.

I'd say first figure out how much time you want to split to diving and how much to non-diving.

If you're going to visit those sites you mentioned on Luzon, I imagine you're flying into Manila, then you should add one dive location at least from that area - Puerto Galera, Anilao, or Subic. Personally I'd say PG is the best combination

Then you fly to Palawan anyway, so throw in El Nido or Coron.

Fly out of Puerto Princessa to Cebu and pick a Visayan destination from Alona, Dumaguete(Apo), Moalboal or Malapascua...goes without saying I prefer Malapascua[i live there]. But you will no doubt enjoy any of the others, and Apo certainly is some great diving.

Then fly from Cebu back to Manila for your flight home - or better still book your flight out from Cebu.

So in summary-
Week 1 North Luzon non diving
Wk2 PG
Wk3 Coron
Wk4 Palawan non diving
Wk5 Visayas

I'm not sure regarding the visa but I imagine any operator you book with will be able to help you with that, and a name of someone as a reference.

Good luck!

Matt.

Here's my list of diving and non-diving attractions. I am sure people can add to this list etc. Need any details, just ask :)

Nearest from Manila
(Non-flight)
1) Subic Bay - 1 hour from north Manila. Numerous big military wrecks. Some reef.
2) Anilao - 2 hours from south Manila. World class Macro reef.
3) Puerto Galera - 3 hours drive + ferry from Manila. Macro and Pelagics (Apo Island).

Internal Flight from Manila
1) Cebu (Moalboal) - Great reef and wall dives. Some pelagics.
2) Malapascua - (flight to Cebu, then ferry), Thresher shark cleaner station.
3) Bohol - Reef dives and pelagics
4) Palawan (Coron) - Big WWII wrecks.

Top Non-Diving Attractions
1) Underground River, Puerto Princesa, Palawan. UNESCO World Heritage Site
2) Banaue Rice Terraces, North Luzon. UNESCO World Heritage Site. 6 hours north of Manila.
3) Chocolate Hills, Bohol. UNESCO World Heritage Site
4) Tarsier Monkeys, Bohol. World's smallest monkey species.
5) Angeles City, 1 hour north of Manila (Ahem...for the 'Gentleman',....)
6) Jungle Environment Survival Training (JEST), Subic Bay (former US Navy survival center)
7) Ocean Adventure, Subic Bay (Dolphin shows, sealions etc - can swim with dolphins)
8) Donsol (6 hours south of Manila) - Whale Shark congregations. Snorkelling only.

3) Puerto Galera - 3 hours drive + ferry from Manila. Macro and Pelagics (Apo Island)

Think it should say Verde Island?

3) Puerto Galera - 3 hours drive + ferry from Manila. Macro and Pelagics (Apo Island)

Think it should say Verde Island?

Verde Is. is expensive! stay in Puerto Galers and you have more for diving $$. Also in Puerto Galera you can see Tamaraw falls, or the Magaya, since you were interested in seeing more on land.

Also a quick side question for those who have visited Philippines from the UK and applied for a visa...on the form they ask for a reference in the Philippines...what can I put for this?

Many thanks!

When I filled my form in I put the name of the resort & the town eg. - Seadive, Coron Bay, Palawan

Yapak, Boracay is certainly worth checking out.

Verde Is. is expensive! stay in Puerto Galers and you have more for diving $$. Also in Puerto Galera you can see Tamaraw falls, or the Magaya, since you were interested in seeing more on land.

It's also bloody marvelous, and for what? An additional $20 for the day's trip and 2 dives?

Sorry, mate. Another vote for Verde here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom