Malapascua Best Time and Which Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skating101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do you guys have an opinion on what is the optimal time to go diving in Malapascua for diving and what is the most recommended resort on the island (2500 - 3000 pesos twin share)

Hi,
We stayed at Tepanee Resort: Tepanee Beach Resort and it was great.... Additionaly the owner has the Italian restaurant on the beach and the food is amazing...
We dove with divelinkcebu Divelink Cebu and were very happy too....
We are considering going back this Christmas.....
This is the dive package we had last year in April: 5 nights & 6 days twin sharing including round trip transfers cebu airport to resort to airport. included 15 dives,marine fee,boat,tanks,weights,dive guide. for 24,000php
Hope this helps

thanks for the reply did you see any thresher sharks?

I loved Exotic Island beach resort when I was there, a bit out on the left side of white beach stretch, built almost within the fisherman village.
Plus, they were a pioneer dive operation on the island 10 years ago : on my stay I had dived with guides Totong and Toto and I think they're still there, that's an important factor for me to have the guides who know the reefs best.
I only dived three days, had two thresher encounters + one manta encounter. Not bad eh? Though that was august and the sea was quite heavy.

I met Doug Perrine on the occasion (probably the most famous shark photographer). That also speaks for the dive op... :cool2:

I loved Exotic Island beach resort when I was there, a bit out on the left side of white beach stretch, built almost within the fisherman village.
Plus, they were a pioneer dive operation on the island 10 years ago : on my stay I had dived with guides Totong and Toto and I think they're still there, that's an important factor for me to have the guides who know the reefs best.
Dived with Martin and Mickael at least 8 yrs ago. Totong was there as well.
Back in those days there was no need for deposit but now........money up front!!!

Do you guys have an opinion on what is the optimal time to go diving in Malapascua for diving and what is the most recommended resort on the island (2500 - 3000 pesos twin share)

It depends a little bit on who you are diving with. There are basically two ends and it is a drag to walk a ways in the early morning for the thresher shark dive.

Thresher Shark Divers (TSD), Sea Explorers, DiveLink are more westerly with Evolution and Exotic on the easterly side. I have dived with TSD and Sea Explorers but I know Evolution and Exotic are also reputable shops. You will have a greater selection of places to stay and eat on the west end.

Evolution get my recommendation. Matt Reed is here on Scubaboard, and I'm sure he'll be happy to assist. They will source you accomodation appropriate to your budget.

hey skate, everything u probably want to ask about malapascua is discussed in this THREAD... and bonus info on moalboal and possible nearby sites. :)

anyway if u want short answer: i also highly recommend evolution diving as the natural selection. they'll recommend (and even help book) accommodation. i was there end of august to beginning of sept this year. we saw thresher sharks and more. there used to be thresher shark seasons (june/july and dec/jan) but this year, the threshers seem to have taken permanent residence.

I was there a couple of years ago for about a week, went through Exotic as well and don't have any complaints, although went 5 days early to see threshers and didn't see any at Monad Shoal (think that's right...) . Did see a devil ray there and still had nice dives though. They had a pretty cool house reef, I think exclusively for their customers. It was a pretty shallow relaxing dive, just off shore, but fun. sunken jeepneys full of schools of fish and lots to see there for a fun relaxing dive. I think we did a cool night dive there too if i remember right, sea horses and such. stayed at i think it was called gin gins or something, it was just being renovated at the time, very cheap, and decent eats. gato island was my favorite spot there, do a night dive there if you get a chance. there's a cool cave that goes under the island where sharks hang out. bamboo sharks, white tips, tons of cool stuff there. sunset at the floating bar was fantastic too, topside. I was there in feb. 08. I just got there with no plan and checked out the scene, operator really depended on planned schedule with different op's offering different packages. Oh ya, mating manderin fish at sunset, can't really miss that if you''re there. Enjoy!

thanks for the replies guys so there aren't threshers all year round only last year? i thought if you stayed there for at least a week you would encounter at least one. Andy, Matt has already private messaged and im in contact with him thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom