Puerto Galera or Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Family4Diving

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between PG or Bohol. Trip dates Nov 27 - Dec 7th. We would like 4 dives a day with good macro and reefs. I know I can get the dives like that on PG but what about Bohol. I look forward to any suggestions.

PG. More varied sites and more macro. Especially Verde Island. Dives in Bohol (Alona/Panglao) are typically deep drift dives with long SI so you get in 2-3 dives per day. PG is excellent for diving but if you want a bit of sightseeing Bohol would be better.

Judging by you handle you might prefer Alona for the family atmos...or try Big Laguna in PG, La Laguna Beach Club is a good one.

Agreed that diving is good at both locations

hth

Matt.

PG. More varied sites and more macro. Especially Verde Island. Dives in Bohol (Alona/Panglao) are typically deep drift dives with long SI so you get in 2-3 dives per day.

I think Gilligan will take issue with that.

".... if you want a bit of sightseeing Bohol would be better."

I think many patrons of establishments in downtown Sabang will take issue with that as well :eyebrow:

Guess it all depends. My experience in June was that PG tended to be drift dives, some with quite strong current, while most dives in Bohol were not.

Easy to get 3 dives/day, did not do night dives. Some places conduct, and some don't. Best to communicate with select dive operations.

As for nightlife", Bohol is best if you have wife/girlfriend in tow, PG if not. She might not like some of it's "nightlife".

Also consider Anda in Bohol. It is less touristy than Pangloa so none of that 'nightlife'. The diving here is beautiful, we have 14km or coral reef/wall with lots of great macro life. As there are less divers its completely unspoilt. Abundance of fish (huge schools of snappers, fusilers, jacks etc), pretty reef fish, snakes, nudibranch, turtles. We've also seen dolphins and a whaleshark in the six months we've lived here. Check out our underwater pics on the Abyss Divers facebook page.

We have around 15 mapped sites although some are huge so you can do 2-3 times and they range from 35m to 12 m so good for all levels. Four dives a day is no problem. Our large banca does a three tank trip every day and then you can do a later afternoon or night dive also.

We generally do gentle drifts as the current isn't so strong here and vis should be 25m plus in December.

We're quite easy to get to from Alona too (pick up a GTexpress from the main road or all the resorts on the area have private hires) so if you wanted to do a 2 centre holiday and try Alona and Anda its easy to do. We're about one and a half hours away.

There are around six resorts, four with dive centres. Entertainment tends to be in resort but its easy to travel between them if you fancy a change. Our resort has a large resto/bar plus a beach bar plus often organises beach bbqs etc to make the evenings varied and we often have families/couples staying for two weeks plus and are well entertained.

All the usual tours (Chocolate Hills/Tarsiers) can be done from Anda and we also have local cave and mangrove tours if you need a day off diving.

You can PM if you need resort website or anything :)

I am trying to decide between PG or Bohol. Trip dates Nov 27 - Dec 7th. We would like 4 dives a day with good macro and reefs. I know I can get the dives like that on PG but what about Bohol. I look forward to any suggestions.

I can't speak for PG but I will be visiting Panglao/Bohol for the second time later this month. I was able to get in 3-4 dives a day there (this includes night dives) with some great macro and reef life. The currents were hardly anything when I visited last May so I can't say that any of the dives were really drift dives. Most shops are set up to do 2-3 dives but I pushed for more and they accomodated me as there are a lot of good dives along the Panglao Beach area. Search my flickr photos for examples of critters.

If you have non diving member(s) in your family then PG is probably much better. Most dive sites in PG are very close by with the exception of Verde Island( a must). You are back at the resort/hotel after one dive, have a leisure surface interval with your family and planning your next move.
La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre(LBC) on Big LaLaguna is my suggestion. They have three diving boats so you can usually chose your time of diving unless they are very busy.
As for Alona Beach, you have to prepare to travel and gone for 3-4 hrs everyday. But it does have far more interesting top-side attraction for family.

Both Bohol(Alona Beach) and PG are GREAT for diving. No easy solution.

This years trip is just the wife and I. We did Atlantis last year in Dum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom