Whale Shark Video from Moalboals Sunken Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
After having to endure hearing everyone elses stories about seeing whale sharks in Moalboal for the last year, I finally got to spend some time with it underwater, and luckily I had my video camera with me. I posted a short video clip on Vimeo at Moalboal Whale Shark diving with Turtle Bay Dive Resort on Vimeo ... My next goal is to get some video of the Thresher that is often seen at Pescador.

Note: video may take some time to down load despite my trying my hardest to make the file size as small as possible without affecting the quality too badly...

While I only saw the Shark once during the dive the rest of the group saw it 2 or 3 times....

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

This is a great video for whale shark research, do you know about Ecocean.org, you should submit it to them, this could help whale shark researchers worldwide, if you need anymore info contact me or go direct to Ecocean.org.

Fantastic!
I'll be in Moalboal next week for 10 days... Hopefully, I'll be lucky enough to see a whale-shark too! :)

Woaw... never dived Sunken Island though, when is it proposed from Moalboal : needs a special season or special conditions?

Thought there were thresherS (plural) in Pescador, you're talking about only one, is it (are they) still around the sardine school currently?

As I understand it it/they(thresher) is/are still being sighted.

IRT Diving sunken Island, there is normally a small premium added for dive operators to go the extra distance.. However, according to my GPS it was only 9 KM's from Turtle Bay(Tongo Point) to Sunken Island.. It is a bit of a gamble whether you will see somethng interesting while there, I saw an adult Baramundi, a congregation of 7 Lion Fish, a school of Jacks and some other interesting creatures.

Cheers,
Roger

but, has the sightings of threshers gone down? there seems to be more people going to moalboal and dive pescador but see only sardines dive after dive.

but, has the sightings of threshers gone down? there seems to be more people going to moalboal and dive pescador but see only sardines dive after dive.

The Threshers are really not a reliable attraction, any sightings are considered bonuses..... Sardines, Turtles, are reliable... Really I think the only reliable place for Threshers is Monad(that I am aware of) .... Most divers never tire of seeing the millions of sardines... I know I dont!!

Cheers,
Roger

Just got back fr MoalBoal. Had fantastic dance inside the eye of the sardine storm!!! AWESOME!!
No sightings of threshers, but lucky to have a baby whaleshark in Pescador on our 2nd dive Friday, Nov 5th. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom