Diving off long boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyfromToronto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If most diving in the Phillipines is off of long boats...I understand the backroll to get into the water but how do you get out???

I don't have the strength to pull myself into a boat like that.

Betty

I'm not an expert but I've dived off at least 8-10 different boats in the PI and with the exception of small motor boats in Alona Beach and Siquijor, all boats had ladders.

Maybe you should check with the dive ops you're planning on diving with as to what kind of boats they have.

Yep. Ladders. In the larger boats you can take off your fins and walk right up with all your gear. In the smaller boats you give your weights, tank/BC then fins then come up.

What you call "long boats" are trimaran boats locally named "bangka", there's always a wooden ladder : the bigger bangkas have very comfortable and wide ladders, going up parallel to the hull to a "wing" of the trimaran, which you can climb up easily, even with your fins on.

Don't worry, Philippines understood long ago all the divers need... probably that's why I like so much diving in the Phils.

Thanks guys. Now I'm not so worried about going to the Phiilipines on a 5 day/ 4night trip out of Hong Kong.

Betty

Planning my trips way in advance:
Feb 2011 Roatan
Sept 2011 Jamaica or Cozumel
Jan 2012 Phillipines via Hong Kong

Mostly you'll be backrolling off small bancas/speed boats in Subic, Anilao and PG. In the Visayas (e.g. malapascua, bohol, Sogod bay), you'll be diving off big boats/bancas, doing a giant stride for entry (long drop for a backroll:D). I think I have some pics in my flickr account, maybe later.

banka ladders

Anilao
1468442000_8da40abb3a_o.jpg

Southern Leyte
2299460673_72e01fcdb4_o.jpg

can't find the other "ladder designs":D

Here's the South Leyte Ladder in use. See - even elderly people can get up no problem: :D

IMG_9080.jpg

Also, the built-in ladder with platform (Balicasag, Bohol):

2325905205_e9fa8b6598.jpg

(we're having a discussion about Bangka ladders...the internet is serious business!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom