Philippines in July/Aug??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leeaf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I would really appreciate some input from the Philippines based diving fraternity as to what the diving is like in the July/Aug period? We are thinking of doing the Visayas area but I do not want to go if the timing is all wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lee

Hi Lee,

What would you constitute as "wrong"? Rain, lots of divers, no critters?

July/August is the "it might be rainy" season officially...but this year we had very little rain. We are in fact getting more right now, in "busy" season.

Personally I think July is a great time here and I had a fantastic July this year with some of the flattest days ever going out to our favorite wreck.

Let me know if you have more specifics, and I'm sure someone from another country will be along soon to tell you its typhoon season and don't you dare come...

hth Matt.

July is my favorite time to visit. Its the traditional "low" season and most places (even boracay) are not full up and quite often you'll be the only group on the dive boat. (or even the plane, as last july my family was the only ones on the SeaAir flight from Manila) The DMs and other folks work that much harder (and put up with all your gear) because your it and they work for those tips. :wink: and with 5 divers, we have a LOT of crap ^H^H^H^H^H dive gear to carry around.

There is a slightly higher chance of rain (statistically) but I've personally never found much overall difference between rain in july and rain in feb (the other time we visit)

Thanks guys. Yes it is the weather that I was concerned about. We do an international dive trip once a year and I didn't want to go to the Philippines only to head into a hurricane or something like that. We usually do these trips in Apr/May but one of the guys can't do that time frame next year.

We've done Indonesia the last couple of years and thought we would give the Philippines a go. I've done Puerta Galera and Boracay previously and am thinking of doing the Cebu area this time. I'm leaning towards a Visasyas safari where you stay at land resorts but move around on a boat. What's your view of that as an option? Anything else you would recommend?

Thanks

Lee

Depending on: 1. the number in your group, and 2. the amount of time you will be spending in the Philippines, it is easy to travel around the Cebu/Bohol/Negros and Siquijor areas. There are a couple of very reputable operators who offer what your looking for.

In my opinion it is easy to move around the area on your own, it just takes a lot more planning up front..

Cheers,
Roger

Thanks Roger, there will be 4 of us. The problem with doing it yourself is actually knowing where to go and where to stay etc. I liked the safari idea simply because it would give us a look at a number of different areas, and of course everything is pre-organised, but you obviously pay for that! Also I guess you also waste less time getting from one place to the next, as they have their own boat, but everything is a compromise.

We would be looking at probably 2 to 2.5 weeks in the Philippines.

Lee

I work in Bohol (Anda) and during this July I think we had two days where we couldn't dive. Its technically rainy season but we were very lucky this year.

As there are few guests during these months you could also keeping your plans flexible - research the places you want to go and have idea of hotels but see how the weather does. As the Philippines is made of different islands while one may be undiveable one day, another may be fine.

Thanks, problem is I'm not sure where we should be diving that's why I was leaning towards the Abyss World Visayas safari to which I would add on a Malapascua visit. What's the view of these safaris? It looks good from the point of view of having a quick look at a number of different areas.

Lee

Thanks, problem is I'm not sure where we should be diving that's why I was leaning towards the Abyss World Visayas safari to which I would add on a Malapascua visit. What's the view of these safaris? It looks good from the point of view of having a quick look at a number of different areas.

Lee
Abyss Divers visit our resort as part of their Camiguin tour. I've never dived with them, they have their own boat for diving and own guide, they just use our resort for sleeping but they all seem to be having a good time. They usually spend a few nights here so have (I think) three full days of diving which is enough here to get a good idea of the area.

Its also easy to travel around the Visayas and most resorts do good pick up services to make life easy.

If I was planning a Visayan trip I would go to: Dumaguette (to dive Apo Island), Bohol (Anda) Camiguin, Cabilo, Malapascar and Moalboal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom