"Must Dive" Sites In Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kibo1224

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am headed to the Philippines for 6 weeks in December and early January. Trying to piece together a rough itinerary. I am a novice diver looking to do some diving on the trip. I am interested in BIG things like wrecks, sharks, rays, etc. Not so much into small fish, colorful coral, etc.

Anyway, what are the "must dive" sites that should not be missed? Coron for wrecks? Is Apo Reef worth the effort? Is December/Early January too early for whale sharks in Donsol?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Joe B.

Short and sweet version based on your requirements -
Subic - Wrecks
Coron - Wrecks
Apo Island - schooling fish
Balicasag Island - schooling fish
Moalboal - schooling sardines and whalesharks...not sure if this is proving to be seasonal or not as its a bit of a new phenomenon
Malapascua - Mantas, devil rays and Thresher sharks, and there seems to be quite a lot of whitetips around at the moment too.

Yes too early for the primo whaleshark season...

HTH

Matt.

I am not sure Apo is what you want. Normally I would break a leg to sell you on Apo Island. But not a big shatk and wreck site.

Cheers

Ron

I think he's referring to Apo Reef in Mindoro, where there's supposed to be sharks and big stuff. i'll know for sure in a week.
:)

All the above, and then come back for Tubbataha Reefs during March thru June Season:)

Thanks for the info everyone! Matthew, let us know how your trip to Apo goes!

I've heard Apo Reef isn't what it used to be. Lots of coral has been destroyed. Went on a live aboard with an old buddy out of his dive shop (Fisheye Divers, Boracay) two years ago and he recommended passing on it. We did Panagatan and a few islands on our way to Coron from Boracay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom