Thinking of Moving to the Philippines!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tinytechie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey just lookin for a bit of advice, my partner and I are thinking of heading over to the Philippines hopefully for a fairly long term stay. We are both dive instructors and hoping to get a bit of work over there. Any advice on good areas to head to and if you have some advice on areas with diving AND good surfing that'd be even better :wink: Thanks!

Hi,

Will you have regular jobs... or will you just be working in scuba?

Is this a sabbatical, where you have supporting finances.... or will you be reliant on earning money whilst you are here?

Do you plan to open your own business here?

The Philippines is a notoriously tough place to find expat work, diving or otherwise.

Diving and surfing together in the same area!!!!!
San Juan in La Union and Siargao in Northern Mindanao are well known for surfing in the country. There is a small operator(Ocean Deep) at San Fernando which is due south from San Juan offers scuba divng. The WWII vintage of M10 tanks at around 50m are good enough for couple of dives otherwise......

Cash in hand job!!!!!! That would be illegal.

Have you been to the Philippines before?? There are several requirements which must be taken care of before you can legally work in the PHilippines, recommend you research those... If you intend on working under the table, be aware that is not looked on favorably by most legit operators....

If your really on a sabatical, then pick any of the popular dive sites because travel is pretty cheap in the Philippines and it is relatively easy to travel throughout the Philippines..

Great diving in the Philippines,,,

i dove there 20 different times when i was in the Navy..and thought of staying once i retired...i am sure things have changed since then. it was back in 1962-65 during the Nam situation.

have fun over there,,,,,,,

hey hey thanks for the info guys. Deffinately not going on a sabbatical.. I'm a career dive instructor and DONT work in the states, therefore I am poor! haha! We're happy to go through the legalities of a work permit to do it properly or whatever really.. just time to get outta West Australia! ANy other tips?

The Philippines is a dirt poor third world country. There is not anywhere near enough work for the citizens. It is so bad that 10% of the population works abroad. They greatly resent expats who try to steal jobs from the citizens. It is extremely difficult to legally work there unless you are hired by a corporation, or are filipino, or you employ at least 10 other filipinos in a company. Suggest you try another country, this is not a great idea.

The Philippines is a dirt poor third world country. There is not anywhere near enough work for the citizens. It is so bad that 10% of the population works abroad. They greatly resent expats who try to steal jobs from the citizens. It is extremely difficult to legally work there unless you are hired by a corporation, or are filipino, or you employ at least 10 other filipinos in a company. Suggest you try another country, this is not a great idea.

I'd say that's a little bit over zealous.

There is plenty of opportunity to work here legally if you're willing to pay the costs for the correct permits.

In addition I have never experienced any "great resentment" towards expats or foreigners by the the Filipino people. They are one of the most welcoming people I have ever had the pleasure to spend time with.

Ditto what Matt said. The Philippines is amazingly welcoming and friendly.

Work permits are a pain though. They are expensive. I think this is because they are aimed at getting max revenue out of the senior expat execs who come to work for big corporations here in Manila. The PI govt, just doesn't assume that anyone would come to work here for a 'local salary' job.

Most of the expats here are either corporate executives, married to a Filipino citizen or get residency by opening a company that employs (10+) locals.

As with many things, the govt here is quite clueless... especially regarding the tourism industry. Note the failure of their latest tourism initiative.... because they created their tourism website in Tagalog language... thus useless to any tourists.... ha ha ha

There are several options for working:

1) Life Residency Permit. I've been told (don't know first hand) that there is a lifetime valid residency permit available for 200,000 pesos. Can anyone confirm that?

2) Residency via Marriage. Marry a Filipina and you can stay and work. Not sure of the cost to get the permits and ACR (Alien Certificate of Registration).

3) Full Work Permit via Sponsorship. If you have a job contract, you can apply for a full work permit. However, most companies won't hire you unless you already have a work visa. Catch 22. Welcome to the Philippines! :wink:

4) Temporary Work Permit. These last 2-3 months and are renewable. You need documents from your employer, but they are a good option for short-medium duration working stays here. You don't need to get the full ACR.

You can get whatever you want in the Philippines, but it can often cost money. If you factor in the cost of visa/permit and get that when you arrive, you can get work. I've got some contacts at the immigration department who can assist you once you were here.

<snip>

1) Life Residency Permit. I've been told (don't know first hand) that there is a lifetime valid residency permit available for 200,000 pesos. Can anyone confirm that?

<snip>

I'm hoping someone can. The CDN equivalent is around $4600 which sounds like a steal to me for lifetime residency.

Back
Top Bottom