Dive Phillipines from Hong Kong January 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyfromToronto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband & I will be visiting Hong Kong for 3 weeks for Chinese New Years in January 2012. When we were there this past February (2010) we visited two LDS who also do dive trips. Both said the Phillipines would be inexpensive for a 5-day trip. 3 days of actual diving. They both suggested PG as the best location.

We are off to Roatan, Honduras in February 2011 and by booking the flight & hotel myself; we saved over $500 each rather than booking with our LDS. I commented on the Bay Islands forum on wherther or not I could do the same for our Phillipines trip and was told yes.

After doing some research and getting some prices I am not so sure. One of the LDS from Hong Kong has a website where it posts their upcoming trips. One is to La Laguna Beach & Dive Resort in Sabang and it looks pretty good. Getting prices myself didn`t seem to save me much. Especially when the transfer from the Manila airport to the resort is by van & boat for almost 3-4 hours. I think it would be cheaper if other divers were going but I`m told I CAN do it cheaper.

I received some great info from Codman on the Bay Islands forum but thought this is the best place to reach ALL the divers (especially those flying out of Hong Kong) who frequently dive in the Phillipines. Is PG the best place for our first trip to the Phillipines (it won`t be our last) or is there other locations that would be easier to get to

Appreciate everyone`s help

Hi BettyinToronto, this is JoeinToronto:wink:. I will be making my way to PG for a four dive day trip over x-mas. This will be my third time over. PG has diverse diving opportunities that should appeal to everyone. The suggested hotel is good and in a good location, but it is actually beside Sabang beach on Small La laguna. If you do decide on PG make sure you have one dive day allocated for Verde Island. I've attached a vid. Dive shops don't necessarily go there everyday so let your diveshop know your intention when you arrive. There really isn't any need to book your diving ahead of time. There are many dive shops to choose from. A reasonably priced alternative to get to PG is to take the Sikat service which combines a van and ferry service from Manila. See attached link for details. Puerto Galera Travels: Going to and from Manila to Batangas Pier to Puerto Galera

[vimeo]12011380[/vimeo]

My husand is new to diving as he was just certified in September in Cuba. He is scheduled to take his AOW in February in Roatan. I learned to dive about 23 yrs ago getting my OW, AOW and Ice diving C-cards and doing 125 dives in about a 3 year span. All in Ontario. Brrr. Then because I met hubby and he didn`t dive; neither did I except for a trip I won to St Lucia where I got in 6 dives. :wink: But we snorkeled alot.

Now we are both into a sport I love. We have a Canon G10 with underwater case that I`ve been carrying so far. After his AOW he will take over and is buying a strobe light for this upcoming trip.

So to answer your question DevonDiver; I think we like it all except for wrecks. Hubby says he doesn`t like those even though he`s never done one. :no:

We like colourful reefs and lots of fish. I like to look for the small guys and hubby`s ultimate dream (mine too I guess) is to see a whaleshark some day.

Joebubbles: Great video. I`ve heard we have to plan to visit Verde Island if we go to PG. Is this an all day 3-tank dive trip that costs more than the usual $ per tank dive

Where do you stay when there. I thought you were supposed to use the dive shop at the resort you are staying at. :confused: Do you fly directly from TO to Manila. Thanks for the info on Sikat. I`ll look into that. Codman says he does a bus & ferry for about $15. That`s a lot chepaer than the $141 Cdn I was quoted for a private van and boat for the two of us.

I`ll take any info you can provide

Thanks!

Joebubbles: Great video. I`ve heard we have to plan to visit Verde Island if we go to PG. Is this an all day 3-tank dive trip that costs more than the usual $ per tank dive

Where do you stay when there. I thought you were supposed to use the dive shop at the resort you are staying at. :confused: Do you fly directly from TO to Manila. Thanks for the info on Sikat. I`ll look into that. Codman says he does a bus & ferry for about $15. That`s a lot chepaer than the $141 Cdn I was quoted for a private van and boat for the two of us.

I`ll take any info you can provide

Thanks!

Personally, I will be staying at Sea Shore lodge on Sabang Seashore Lodge | Sabang | Puerto Galera
Many people prefer not to stay on Sabang because the beach is not clean and due to some loud nightlife in the centre of the beach. My place is off to one side of the beach so it is quiet at night. Small La laguna is a good compromise as it has a cleaner beach and is next to Sabang so you have easy access. I personally will use Mark at Sea Rider for my dive shop which is in Small Lalaguna and a few steps from your suggested hotel back packer's choice. There is no obligation to dive with your hotel diveshop. Yes, Verde Island is more expensive than a regular dive trip since it is about a 40 minute ride over. Most dives at PG are a few minutes away. It is best to get to Manila via Hong Kong. Usually the most cost effective is either continental or united, but that requires a connection in either chicago or new york. Once in HK take the Cebu Pacific flight to Manila. Try and be flexible around Chinese new year as airfare rates go up at that time.
There are a couple of wrecks around Sabang Beach...Sabang Wrecks and Alma Jane...See attached vid.
[vimeo]9173928[/vimeo]

There are many choices other than PG that you can easily arrange yourself, especially with assistance from the boardmembers. Some general advice is to spend some time going through previous posts concerning

Puerto Galera
Verde Island
Anilao
Alona*
balicasag*
cabilao*
Dauin*
APO ISland*
Cebu*
MActan*
Malapascua*
Moalboal*
Siquijor*

Dont restrict yourself to flying into Manila, the other popular/convenient choice is to fly into Cebu. The locations with asterick's are accesible from Cebu and any of them fit nicely into a 5 excursion.

I have dived all of the above locations and I think most of them should satisfy your desire for good diving...

Concerning getting a great deal on accomodations: if you deal directly with the resorts vice a travel agent you can usually get a discount(as you well know) however with Jan still being Traditional high season you may not be able to avail of much of a discount....

If you have any questions feel free to PM me...

Cheers,
Roger

Fly to CEBU. Go to EVOLUTION Diving. Dive with Matt. Have tons of fun. Price is negotiable. Merry Christmas!

Fly to CEBU. Go to EVOLUTION Diving. Dive with Matt. Have tons of fun. Price is negotiable. Merry Christmas!

Very nice JD! Thanks :D

Hi Betty, if you are interested in Malapascua then by all means we will take care of you. Look at flying direct to Cebu instead of Manila and then having a similar transfer time as to PG.

Drop me a line if you want to know more.

Regards,

Matt.

Most of our local divers go to Philippines for a 5 day trip(3 days diving).
PG is probably the cheapest and popular followed closely by Anilao. Malapascua and Moalboal are as good if not better but the flight to Cebu is more expensive.
PG is good but the vis has gone down over last few yrs. Most of the sites are within 10 mins except Verde Island which is a must.
Anilao is good but the dive boat tends to stay out for 2-3 dives before returning to base. And if the sea is rough and raining.........not very present. The bancas used in Anilao seems relatively smaller when compare with PG.
If I have to choose between those four places, I would prefer Malapascua. But the transfer is quite expensive unless you do not mind the local transport which is quite straight forward but time consuming.
Cebu Pacific offers very cheap flight to Cebu(Moalboal and Malapascua) and Manila(Anilao & PG). From time to time this airline offers really cheap fare to the country. Get yourself registered with them on line to receive any promotion notice. At the time of writing all non-stop flights from HK arrive at Cebu around 0330 to 0400!!! There are at least 4-5 daily flights from HK to Manila.
If you are to choose PG, then I would suggest you should take a late flight to Manila. Spend one night around Ermita and caught the tourist transfer to PG from either City State Tower Hotel or Swaggman Hotel at 8am on following morning. The boat will drop you off at Sabang Beach where most of the dive centres/hotel situated. I would not suggest to book your trip to PG through the LDS in HK. They tend to dive as a group and side-trip to Verde might be difficult to arrange for U2. A group diving rate probably means you must dive in the same group!!!!!! I COULD BE WRONG HERE!!!!! BTW, La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre(LBC) is on Big LaLaguna which is easily 15 mins walk away and with heavy luggage.....
As for Anilao, I am afraid I do not know any direct route. If you want to use public transport, expect to change bus and jeeney few times!!!!

Betty, you are already getting lots of good info here. :coffee: And I have to agree with Roger and others, if you are already in HK, any of the destinations of the Philippines are open to you and fairly reasonable. Some requiring a bit more travelling Cost and time than others. But definetly an option for you.

A word of warning! Once you dive these waters and see this marine life, you won,t want to return to the caribean... :depressed: I'm serious... I'm still suffering from withdrawal...:shakehead:

Anyways, If I may I can give my 0.02$ about PG and anilao which is the area i've been to and/ read the most about. I'll leave to others to share their knowkledge of the other destinations there...

Firstly about your choice of Dive resort in PG... :cool2: La laguna Beach club is one of the nicest there!!!! it's high class... And also one of the most expensive! If you want nice rooms, pool, restaurant, bar, nice beach and very good dive center/ operation... and are willing to pay... It's a great choice! :coffee: If you want to save money... Not the greatest choice... There are several good places to stay that are cheaper, and that leaves you the option to choose a specific dive operator, which will also be cheaper. And dine elsewhere, which can also be cheaper... So if you're not fixed on your choice or that specific set of "luxury" accomodations, there is room for saving $$... As far as transportation goes, from manila in 2008 I took the JAM bus to Batangas for 350pp and then the ferry for 400pp. I carried my own luggage, but a porter you can add a tip of maybe 100-200pp... That is very cheap compared to the private van and ferry!!!! Now public transport will take longer and the main trick is taking the first buss out of manilla (6:00 am I believe) to leave before manila trafiic which can loose you another 2 hours easily). Leaving early it took me 1.5h to batangas by bus and 1h ferry. And a bit of waiting time in between... Not bas for 125$ savings...:coffee:

Now as a choice of destination goes, from manila, easiest for marine life (excluding Subic which is mainly wrecks; and no ferry), Anilao is about 2h from manila (1.5h bus then another 20-30 minute jeepney; there might be other routes that are faster). Anilao is renowned for it's Macro critters; tiny cool stuff and easy diving. For photographers, an awesome choice! The down side, all inclusive resorts are quiet, not much to see, and cost per dive are based on cost of the boat divided by all the divers onboard (which means during the week when it's slow, the whole cost of the boat can land on you and your hubby increasing the cost; it's best to hit Anilao on weekends when you are sure to have other divers).

Now PG is a bit harder to get to (not much really). Diving is considered to be more diverse. There are Larger pelagics on some dives but still cool small stuff. Cost per dive if fixed even if you are alone on the boat. There is nite life, and a large choice of restaurants. Each dive brings you back to shore; you can do as many or as few dives as you'd like...

Both are different and both will blow your mind away... Either is a good choice...

Just my 0.02$! i'm sure you'll be getting lots of other good info soon! And definetly other destinations are good viable options!

Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom