Malapascua or Mactan - Mid March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterPursuit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

First trip over! I'd like to stay at the Hilton on Mactan. However, I've heard that the diving is better on Malapascua. I'm open to either one but if it's neither here nor there I'd just stay on Mactan....

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Glenn

How long are you going to stay in Cebu? try to do a minimum of 3 days of diving in Malapascua. PM Matt Reed, he can set things up from your hotel to the island (we used his outfit last Oct-Nov 2010 and we had a blast). Enjoy!

Hi - Thanks for the reply. I'll be there about a week but would prefer to stay in one place.... I don't think it's quick from Mactan to Malapascua but I could be wrong......

Hi - Thanks for the reply. I'll be there about a week but would prefer to stay in one place.... I don't think it's quick from Mactan to Malapascua but I could be wrong......

Can you be a bit more specific about your desires?

If you are staying at the Hilton because you like the high end in terms of rooms etc then you might find Malapascua a little bit "rustic" for your tastes.

If you want to see sharks and rays etc then you had better come to Malapascua, as I'm fairly certain you won't see them diving off Mactan - although I could be wrong.

Let me know if you want more info about Malapascua.

Regards,

Matt.

I know what is the MOST important in a diving trip!!!
Any pampering would NOT compensate for the lost of good diving.

Hi Glenn,

From a diving perspective it would seem an easy choice - the diving around Mactan is okay, certainly not bad but by Philippines standards would only rank as okay. I've still not dived Malapascua (I really need to get that corrected soon!) but reports always make the diving there look exceptional.

The better dives in Mactan tend to be advanced or tech dive sites where any recreational NDLs only give you a few minutes of bottom time. Malapascua seems to offer great diving for macro, wreck and of course the threshers/rays.

There is a 'thresher cleaning station' near Mactan (just off Olongo island - Tongo point or something I think?) but it's more a chance of sightings than the very likely sigtings at Malapascua. I've been to the Mactan 'thresher' site twice in the past few years and can't say I got to see much - certainly no threshers, plus it's at 40m so once again recreational dives there will be very short!

If you're looking for nightlife then Mactan is liley to be the better option, although the Hilton probably isn't the best location? Maribago tends to be a better option for diving if you're planning on diving from Mactan - places like Maribago Bluewater would give you a more relaxing and pampered stay than the Hilton and the price is similar if you book in advance with Agodo.

If night-life and pampering is less important than diving then I'd say spend the whole dive time in Malapascua, and allow a single night or two in Mactan to relax/enjoy on the way back!

Hope that helps,

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom