Vintage double hose regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I did a search here looking for "Vintage Double Hose" and only came up with three hits, none pertaining to what I want to know.

In some of the shops here in Manila, I noticed displays of vintage regs - specifically double hose regs. Now, a few months ago, my brother in law spotted one in a junk shop in Davao, but was unable to snag it. Not for anything else, but I want to have one of my own, and possibly try diving it.

I've currently got three "vintage" regs - all single hose regs: A USD Conshelf 30/prodiver reg (for the mid 80s); A sportsways W-600 Hydronaut from the late 70s, and a USD Calypso J reg from the 60s. Currently in the process of restoring the other two.

So, my questions are:

1. Is there much of a vintage diving scene here in Manila?
2. Is there anyone who knows where I can get my hands on one?

Thanks! :D

1. Not for double hose. There's only 2 people that I've had good conversations about double hoses: the owner of Nautilus (you'll see he has 3 double hoses displayed in his shop) and Ellen from diver's point. Ellen is more interested in single hose regs but her technician was able to service my royal aquamaster a couple times. Larry (Hammerhead) has told me that there is somewhat of a small scene in Puerto Galera.

2. you can try ebay, but Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Gear at Vintage Double Hose has some cream of the crop regs (at a premium, however). Don't bother trying to convince the owner of Nautilus to sell you his, I've already tried! Maybe he'd know if there's any scene in Manila. The vintage forum here on SB is a great resource.

What kind of double hose reg was at the junk shop? That would have been a unique pick up.

Try vintage doublehose .com

Double Hose Explorer Kit
$250.00
Curious about diving a double hose but don't want to spend a fortune to get started? Don't know what you need to get going? PROBLEM SOLVED!

You will receive a used DA Aqua-Master that has been 100% rebuilt and is in top working order. The DA Aqua-Master was the longest running double hose in the US Divers line and was used by sport and military divers around the world. Great breathing regulator at any depth, low maintenance and fantastic reliability are all hallmarks of the DA.
See the main website page in the regulator identification section for more information.
Hoses, duckbill exhaust valve, mouthpiece and mouthpiece valves are new. Regulator has been setup with a hookah port adapter that will allow you to attach a safe 2nd stage/octopus or a BC inflation hose if you choose. Also a banjo fitting and adaptor so you can attach any modern or vintage pressure gauge and monitor your cylinder pressure underwater.
Now you have the basics covered to go Double Hose Diving!

Waiver required before shipping.

Doc, if you want to get started with a DH, your best bet is the Explorer package VDH has. It's really a very good price all things considered. First off, you know for sure the reg works, it's not missing anything and it comes with the accessories than most of us dive with. It is ready to dive out of the box and has been set up by a person who knows DH regs. The cost to rebuild a DA with new hoses and mouthpiece is in the $150 range for parts alone. The banjo (which you will want) and other adapters are another $60. You will end up spending the same amount if you do the work yourself, assuming you restore the reg to this level. Here is a link Double Hose Explorer Kit [Double Hose Explorer Kit] - $250.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

Get the Explorer but ask if you can get a heavy or "long yoke." With the long yoke you will have no problems with any modern yoke valve and be able to use it up to at least 3000 PSI (200 BAR) files and some of the yokes from later Conshelf regulators are rated to 4000 PSI (266 BAR).

I have my eye on several eBay items, but if I can avoid having to get it shipped here, I'd be much happier (customs officials here can be such a drag...) If the eBay bids don't pan out, then maybe VDH it is.

@ Chip: Yep, tried talking Solomon into selling me one... no dice :( I think he's got 2 aquamasters, and a voit. I may just ask him about other local sources, although I really wold've wanted something like a junk shop... that would've been cool :D I was once able to snag this at my local junk shop for 10 dollars:

IMG_3180.jpg

But I digress... I'll be watching eBay and will give Nautilus a call later.

If you intend to restore it to divable condition, remember that USD and Voit are the only ones that have new reproduction parts available. Others are very hard to find, most are home brew.

I have my eye on several eBay items, but if I can avoid having to get it shipped here, I'd be much happier (customs officials here can be such a drag...) If the eBay bids don't pan out, then maybe VDH it is.

@ Chip: Yep, tried talking Solomon into selling me one... no dice :( I think he's got 2 aquamasters, and a voit. I may just ask him about other local sources, although I really wold've wanted something like a junk shop... that would've been cool :D I was once able to snag this at my local junk shop for 10 dollars:

IMG_3180.jpg

But I digress... I'll be watching eBay and will give Nautilus a call later.
sweet find. IIRC one of Nautilus' DH is a mistral. +1 on buying the banjo. Make sure to inform the bangkeros how to properly put the rig together when exchanging tanks or the o-ring might accidentally fall out.

Keep me updated on what you find out regarding the scene.

Just came from Nautilus to test my can light. Anyway, Solomon's got 4 DHs - 2 AMs, a Healthways, and a Voit.

And no... they really aren't for sale...

As for the Calypso J and the Sportsways, they've got "buckets" of the regs...

And my lighthead leaked...

Sigh.

Just came from Nautilus to test my can light. Anyway, Solomon's got 4 DHs - 2 AMs, a Healthways, and a Voit.

And no... they really aren't for sale...

As for the Calypso J and the Sportsways, they've got "buckets" of the regs...

And my lighthead leaked...

Sigh.

Came back from Nautilus today :D My lighthead and can made it to 150 feet :D

Pressuretest.jpg

And here's Solomon's trove:

Solomonsstuff.jpg

still not for sale... :(

Back
Top Bottom