Which is better? Malapascua, Sogod or Apo Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 1 week to go diving at a single location, in mid January of 2012.

I decided on going to 1 of these 3 places for the week. Malapascua, Sogod or Apo Reef. I generally like to see bigger stuff, lots of small fish or school of big fish, whale sharks maybe, thresher sharks maybe, mantas maybe, beautiful corals, etc....

I have read several posts, 1 person loves a location and another thought the same location was so so.

Based on the time of year, mid January, are Malapascua, Sogod or Apo Reef better than the other location?

Getting there is half the fun. None of the three places mentioned are easy to get to. All involved tedious transfer and downright expensive private transfer.
However, I do recall you are going to Bohol first and in that case both Malapascua and Sogod should be your prime consideration. If you are travelling from Cebu then the overnight slow ferry to Maasin or Hilongo would save you some money and time to Sogod.

I am planning on leaving Manila then going to Moalboal for 1 week then go to Alona Beach in Bohol for another week, then return back to Manila. Then leave Manila for 1 more week, so my starting point willl be Manila for my second trip to either Malapascua, Sogod or Apo Reef. I have reasons why I will be leaving from Manila again for the last week.

So traveling to any of these locations make no difference to me. I plan to fly to where ever I decide to go for the last week. I will also get private car/taxi ride.

I am just trying to figure out which location (Malapascua, Sogod or Apo Reef) will give me the most diving enjoyment for the last week?

Apo Reef: Quite a distance from San Jose(Mindoro). Liveaboard would be better. I know Rags II routinely sail there from PG for three days diving or combined with the trip to Coron. Sharks and tuna? Yes but...... Coral? well!!! Overall, hard to say!
Malapascua: Thrasher shark, devil ray, small critters, wreck(Dona Marilyn). Bit of everything. Salty fresh water for washing(same as Bohol). Recommended.
Sogod: Exceedingly healthy coral in couple of places. Chance meeting with whale shark, Jan might be a bit too early. Going back there next month. Recommended.

How about Donsol for whale shark and then staying at Ticao Island for the manta? Never been to those two places.

If you have been to Moalboal already then I am more inclined to suggest that you should go to both Malapascua and Sogod FIRST and leave Bohol on the last week.
Alternatively, as originally suggested and spend the last week at Donsol ad Ticao.

actually if your going to sogod i would suggest just going a little bit further to limasawa... it is the other place in the philippines where whalesharks converge on a yearly basis. they also have great reefs like napantau which used to be a research station and is i have to sa one of the healthiest walls ive done in the philippines.

apo reef i dont suggest too much... in january of last year the waves were big and getting to it is only by liveaboard if you get caught in big waves youll be limited to diving 2 or 3 spots at the most. also since the typhoon in 2006 all the coral from about 70% of the reef has been destroyed the substrate is mostly rock. itll be a few more years before apo reef returns to its former splendor.

I have been on Malapascua for two weeks at Thresher Shark Divers. Twelve dives to inculde Shark Point(Threshers),Gato Island(a must),Calangaman Island,Chocolate island,Muck/macro diving....It has been a great time. Lodging is $500php a night most places...fan room with private cold water bath. I found a great deal with hot water & A/C that I would share or sub out. I'm leaving the first of August for Moalboal or Bohol. TSD is a great place to dive but even better place to eat & do happy hour. The best on this island.....and I am pickly. Come on down & dive....I need a dive/drink buddy if nothing else. Nitrox dive for 1200 php & Happy hour 4 to 7 with 50php rum/coke/lime!
Dive safe,Have Fun...

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Any chance to see whale sharks in January? Limasawa Island, Donsol or Sogod?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom