dipolog/dapitan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martin77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
hi i am new here at this site i am looking for a diveing store in labason or dapitan
i like to try spear-fishing so need to find a store that sells spear also what about wet-suit is that needed or can i wait with that

ohhh btw what kind of fish can i catch near the coast also about 1 hour away from boat
need all the help i can get

hi i am new here at this site i am looking for a diveing store in labason or dapitan
i like to try spear-fishing so need to find a store that sells spear also what about wet-suit is that needed or can i wait with that

Just so you know, spear fishing with tanks is illegal in the Philippines.

Years ago I went with a group to scuba dive during the Handuraw Festival. The festival sponsors a FREE scuba safari. ( Tanks and Boat ). One of the islands we went to was owned by former Congressman Romeo “Nonong” Jalosjos. As the same with many of the businesses in the area. For example Dakak resort. Everyone on the safari had their spear guns with them. ( including handguns in pelican cases ) So go figure.

There maybe political reasons why there are not many other high end resorts that will compete with Dakak. But I am not going to get into that on a public forum.

Just so you know, spear fishing with tanks is illegal in the Philippines.

Years ago I went with a group to scuba dive during the Handuraw Festival. The festival sponsors a FREE scuba safari. ( Tanks and Boat ). One of the islands we went to was owned by former Congressman Romeo “Nonong” Jalosjos. As the same with many of the businesses in the area. For example Dakak resort. Everyone on the safari had their spear guns with them. ( including handguns in pelican cases ) So go figure.

There maybe political reasons why there are not many other high end resorts that will compete with Dakak. But I am not going to get into that on a public forum.

i am not going to be useing a tank i will just snorkling

ohhh btw what kind of fish can i catch near the coast also about 1 hour away from boat
need all the help i can get

Aliguay Island and Selinog Island are the islands I dove at. They are about an hour away by boat.

The islands are mostly inhabited by local fisherman. So if you speak to them they can send in the right direction for fish for the price of a few 40 oz Redhorse !

thank you are there any dive shop where i can buy a harpun in dipolog ?
also about wetsuit is that needed and if so is a 5mm too thick

thank you are there any dive shop where i can buy a harpun in dipolog ?
also about wetsuit is that needed and if so is a 5mm too thick

HawaiianSlings.jpg

Don't buy one. Do like the local fisherman and build a Filipino Sling.
Filipino Slings are one of the oldest spearfishing implements. They are also one of the cheapest and easiest to make. Most of the equipment you need can be found at your local hardware store.

You will need the following supplies:

Barrel -1" diameter PVC tubing, about 8" long. Just about any tube with a hole in the middle will do. If you happen to have something else lying around that is similar (Bamboo), use it.

Sling band - Surgical tubing or rubber from a bicycle tube, about 16". If you want to double up the power you should get twice the length.

Cup - Nylon spacer with an inside diameter (ID) of 1/4". Like the end of a soda bottle.

Shaft - 1/4" X 48" stainless steel rod. You can use plated metal if you can't find stainless.

Barb - Riffe single floppers cost P150 and include a stainless rivet and washer. You can also use moly bolt drywall anchors that can be disassembled to make two barbs, but I haven't tried that. I should, they're in the hardware store after all.
Trailing Line - Nylon string or mono will work.

Drill a 1/4" hole in the nylon spacer, about 2/3 the way down the length. If you are making a two banded sling, drill another hole 90 degrees from the first hole and just above it.

Cut one end of the surgical tubing at an angle so that it makes a long point. Thread this point through the nylon spacer, centering the spacer on the tubing. If you are using two bands, repeat with second sling band - the bands should now form an "X".

Fasten the sling to the barrel (PVC or Bamboo tube) by wrapping string around it tightly. You can cheat and use electrical tape followed by a stainless steel hoseclamp if you want.

Drill a 3/32" hole in the shaft, just over 3" from the tip. If you are making a trailing line, drill another hole in the butt of the spear. If you want to do a really good job, grind down the shaft where the flopper is going to sit so that it is recessed and thus more streamlined.

Install the flopper using a rivet and washer (the Riffe floppers come with them). Bang on the rivet to flatten it out, but BE CAREFUL. Don't make the rivet too tight or the flopper will not flop.

Find a local fisherman to help you. Fishing with a Filipino Sling takes practice.

You are from Denmark where it is cold, the water here is hot. So why do you need a wetsuit ? Just do the same as the local fisherman and wear a longsleeve shirt to keep the sun off you. Wear a lot of sunscreen !

Attachments

• 525x525px-LL-910bf6e8_vbattach14070.jpg
    525x525px-LL-910bf6e8_vbattach14070.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 596
thank you alot DonCebu
i will try and see if i can get a fisherman to help me build one .

thank you alot DonCebu
i will try and see if i can get a fisherman to help me build one .

[video=vimeo;8458024]http://vimeo.com/8458024[/video]

[video=dailymotion;xbejsj]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbejsj_world-shame_animals[/video]

Now that I am an accessory to a crime by giving you that info. I need to clear my conscience. I do not think it is ok to kill innocent fish for fun.

I have seen the videos of what Danish people do with harpoons and I think it is terrible ! You come from a country were you can collect generous social government benefits while living in the Philippines. So it is not like you are going spear hunting to put food on your table or feed your family. The fisherfolk living on Aliguay Island and Selinog Island are living in less than a $1 usd a day. They fish to be able to eat. Not for fun.

You should read up on Republic Act No. 8550 - "The Philippine Fisheries Code of 1998.". If you are fishing you should register with the bantay dagat to get a fishing licence or permit.

Section 2. Declaration of Policy. (b) - to limit access to the fishery and aquatic resources of the Philippines for the exclusive use and enjoyment of Filipino citizens;

CHAPTER II Section 5. Use of Philippine Waters. - - The use and exploitation of the fishery and aquatic resources in Philippine waters shall be reserved exclusively to Filipinos.

Section 18. Users of Municipal Waters. - All fishery related activities in municipal waters, as defined in this Code, shall be utilized by municipal fisherfolk and their cooperatives/organizations who are listed as such in the registry of municipal fisherfolk.

Section 86. Unauthorized Fishing or Engaging in Other Unauthorized Fisheries Activities. - No person shall exploit, engage in any fishery activity in Philippine waters without a license, lease or permit.

Section 87. Poaching in Philippine Waters. - It shall be unlawful for any foreign person, corporation or entity to fish in Philippine waters

Why don't you buy an underwater camera so you can just take pictures of the fish so you can share the pictures with everyone here.

this video has nothing and i repeat nothing to do with danish people and i can not get any social benifits while i am in the philippines i can when i get 72 years
i have been fishing since i was 12 and i love it alot here from denmark travel around the world to fish

Back
Top Bottom