Trip Advice for 1st time, photography, best diving/weather ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue Sue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I have been reading the various threads in hopes that I can decide on where to plan a trip for next year. The info I have been reading here on the Philippine Paradise Divers forum is wonderful, however, I am having trouble putting it all together and therefore am asking for any possible help.

To set things up, Michael and I are trying to focus on photography, clear water, calm to some current diving opportunities. Either/or boat or shore diving. We will have 3 weeks to travel, during which time we would like at least a brief 1 or 2 day stop in Manila and a stop in Boracay to visit with family members of our daughter in law. We also prefer basic , well run of course, operations and accommodations. Huge, top shelf services are wonderful, but, we really don't need them and would rather travel on a more local scale.

Question 1- What areas would most satisfy our diving interests ?

Question 2-What time of year ?

Question 3- Should we follow a certain order to visiting the areas to best utilize transportation ?

Question 4-Any recommended dive ops, resort or accommodations at the places that would satisfy our diving interests ?

Once we get the diving set, then we will add non diving topside activities. Of course, any recommendation is this area would be most helpful as well. My daughter in law and her family have given us pointers on visiting the Philippines, however, as non-divers, they are not familiar as to how touring and the diving there can mix.

If anyone has advice to any or all of my questions it most certainly be appreciated.

Best regards to all, Sue and Mike

By the way, I was at Club Ocellaris when a typhoon went through the northern part of the Philippines. We still managed to keep divingby taking a jeepney to do some dives at more protected spots; as Alexis said, "at Club Ocellaris, we'll find a way to dive!"

My daughter in law and her family have given us pointers on visiting the Philippines, however, as non-divers, they are not familiar as to how touring and the diving there can mix.
I am fascinated by the places of interested suggested by non-divers in Philippines. So perhaps if you could list those places suggested, I might be able to chip in my opinion.
I hope they did not mention the "Rice Terrace", "Underground River" in Palawan, City of Vigan etc etc.

Hello all,

I have been reading the various threads in hopes that I can decide on where to plan a trip for next year. The info I have been reading here on the Philippine Paradise Divers forum is wonderful, however, I am having trouble putting it all together and therefore am asking for any possible help.

To set things up, Michael and I are trying to focus on photography, clear water, calm to some current diving opportunities. Either/or boat or shore diving. We will have 3 weeks to travel, during which time we would like at least a brief 1 or 2 day stop in Manila and a stop in Boracay to visit with family members of our daughter in law. We also prefer basic , well run of course, operations and accommodations. Huge, top shelf services are wonderful, but, we really don't need them and would rather travel on a more local scale.

Question 3- Should we follow a certain order to visiting the areas to best utilize transportation ?
Question 4-Any recommended dive ops, resort or accommodations at the places that would satisfy our diving interests ?

Once we get the diving set, then we will add non diving topside activities. Of course, any recommendation is this area would be most helpful as well. My daughter in law and her family have given us pointers on visiting the Philippines, however, as non-divers, they are not familiar as to how touring and the diving there can mix.

If anyone has advice to any or all of my questions it most certainly be appreciated.

Best regards to all, Sue and Mike

Sue/Mike,

I don't live Philippines, but buddy and I try and head there for 3 or 4 night little holidays whenever we can as it's a short hop from Taiwan - and we try and get to different locations most times - so here's a couple of suggestions -

Too many choices, but maybe fly Manila to Cebu/Mactan - get road transport to Moalboal for say 3 days minimum, then up to Mactan for say 2 days, and from there get a ferry to Bohol for a 3 or more days (and from there fly back to Manila before heading Boracay ?), or from Mactan head North of Cebu and get ferry over to Malapascua -- Could suggest several similar, eg: Fly Dumaguette, stay Dauin a couple of nights, boat to Apo island for a couple of nights, Siquor -- as I say, too many options and maybe you just need to select 1 'must visit' and build your plan around it. I've seen calm clear water and great photo subjects just about everywhere I've been in Philippines.

I've hit bad weather all times of year, but seem to find Nov ~ May have been best times. Jun~Sept, I'd bet money that you will have to endure at least one typhoon and a few days of torrential rains.

Only you can decide - but land in Manila and it is easy to get domestic flights to many locations, or from Manila can get to Puerto Galera and Anilao within say 3 or 4 hours by road/boat

Depends which locations, am sure if you decide 'must visit' location, finding decent dive ops and accomodation will be easy.

I've not summed up all places I've visited, but you might want to browse through 'trip' summaries I've had chance to post, I think that's all below, or maybe a Dumaguette/Apo one somewhere ?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...alboal-december-2-4-2010-some-pics-words.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...n-cebu-december-4-7-2010-some-words-pics.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...boracay-march-24-29-2011-some-words-pics.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...cua-trip-june-03-08-2011-some-words-pics.html

PS - You could always throw in a few days diving down South of Taiwan and check out the different culture :D

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom