A warning to all who ride cabs in Manila (blog article)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From: A Warning to All Who Ride Cabs in Manila Philippines | When In Manila

A WARNING TO ALL WHO RIDE CABS
by: Kei Contreras

I have had numerous encounters with cab drivers all over Metro Manila. I am probably the most unfortunate cab passenger there is in the metro. From being overcharged to almost getting assaulted–name it and I’ve experienced it. My friends actually aren’t surprised anymore everytime they read a Facebook post from me sharing another cab incident. They have gotten so used to it that seeing another cab post from me isn’t new anymore. My sister, on the other hand, already declared that she will never take public transportation with me, fearing that she would also get into trouble because of my misfortunes. But since I am a person, who just lets things pass after a day of ranting and cussing because of these cabs, I just forget about them. I am still alive anyway and my life, among other things, is what I am more concerned about.

I normally take a cab when going to work. I am a Quezon City girl working in Makati. Going to work has always been such a pain. I’ve tried braving the MRT in the morning, but I only got squeezed to death. I’ve tried taking the jeepney, but all I got was a bubble gum stuck on my top’s collar, thanks to some prick who eventually stole my mobile phone. I don’t really mind the pricey fare; what matters more to me is getting to my destination alive.

Yesterday was just another normal Friday. One of our helpers went with me to help me get a cab. God knows how hard it is to get one on a weekday. Surprisingly yesterday, a cab was already waiting at that area where I usually wait. The driver, a thin dark-skinned guy in his mid-20s, was signaling me to get in the cab. I told him where my destination is. He was willing to take me to Makati, but he told me that the cab is not calibrated yet, so he kindly asked for an additional PhP40. I thought it was just okay, so I said yes. When I got in the cab, I told him to take the Santolan-EDSA route. He wanted to take the C5 route, but I insisted on taking the former. Despite the heavy traffic, I feel safer there because of the huge number of vehicles taking EDSA. He did not argue with me anymore and just took the route that I told him to take.

I nicely engaged him in a conversation. I asked him why the cab isn’t calibrated yet and told him that he may get shortchanged if he doesn’t get it calibrated. He just told me that the owner has not fixed it yet. I asked him how many of their cabs are not calibrated. He said there’s two of them.

While we were along Katipunan Avenue en route to Boni Serrano Extension, I saw him getting something from his right pocket and then sprayed it in the cab’s aircondition. It smelled like powder to me. I thought it was just nothing, so I didn’t mind him. He did this several times while looking at me in the rearview mirror. I caught him several times looking at me. It felt like he was waiting for something to happen to me. I was weirded out by what he was doing so I texted my mom the cab’s name and plate number (LADY ALLEN NYT618). I do not usually do this when I take the cab in the morning; I just do this at night. Being a constant victim of heartless and rude cab drivers, I familiarized myself with the different modi operandi used by cab drivers to catch their preys. Unfortunately for me, this was one of them.

I tried sniffing to see if I would feel something weird. I thought I was just being paranoid. The driver repeatedly sprayed while watching me in his rearview mirror. When we finally got to Boni Serrano, nearing Santolan, the scent got stronger and stronger. It was hurting my nose and head so much that it was already making me dizzy and shaky. When I started shaking, I told the driver immediately to pull over because I will go down. He did not dare say a word and stopped the cab. I did not start any argument. In my mind, I needed to get out of the cab and save myself from a possible holdup, or worse, rape. I was shaking so bad that I could not even hold my money properly. They all fell from my wallet. It started raining hard that moment I stepped out of hell. The moment I got out of it, I called my mom and told her what happened. I asked her to pick me up.

I posted what happened on Facebook. A former colleague commented and said that she had a bad experience with a LADY ALLEN cab (TWH933) last Friday evening (July 29). She chatted with me and narrated her story. She lives in Valenzuela, so she took the cab after a night-out with her friends. Just like me, she also engaged the driver in a conversation to gauge how safe she will be in his hands. After a few minutes of chit-chat, the driver asked for her number and unhesitatingly invited her to have sex with him. She was so scared that she pretended to call her husband telling him to wait for her. The moment she saw a guy waiting on the roadside, she went out of the cab.

After what happened to me and my friend, I came up with these assumptions:

1. Upon learning what happened, an officemate told me that a warning text message criculated a few years back about that same cab that I took (LADY ALLEN NYT618)warning people of its modus operandi. I feel that LADY ALLEN has been gone for a while, hence the uncalibrated meter.

2. The two uncalibrated cabs, which the driver was referring to was probably my cab (LADY ALLEN NYT618) and my friend’s cab (TWH933).

3. The driver did not argue with me anymore when I told him to pull over because he probably thought I already know what he was doing. We were not even halfway my destination, but I decided to go down because I caught him several times looking at me while he was spraying the thing in the aircondition.

I am very grateful that I had presence of mind when this horrible incident happened. I was still sane enough to stop the cab despite the indescribable fear and panic that I felt during this horrifying moment. I am also thankful that I decided not to plug in my iPod’s earphones and just observed the driver instead.

I have no idea if the cab driver was able to victimize anyone yesterday, but I sincerely hope that he was not successful in hurting anyone. I will do all the necessary actions to ensure that what happened to me and my friend will not happen to anyone again. I am also calling out everyone to always be alert anywhere you go. Things like this are inevitable. The least we can do is shield ourselves from predators out there waiting for their prey to fall on their hands.

I am tagging my friends from the media. Please help me in warning your loved ones and friends about the abovementioned cabs. I seriously hope this will be of help to everyone.

Kei Contreras :
I saw him getting something from his right pocket and then sprayed it in the cab’s aircondition. It smelled like powder to me.

Maybe the guy farted and was trying to mask the smell with deodorant ???

If the guy was spraying a knock out gas into the aircon wouldn't he also be hit by it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the guy farted and was trying to mask the smell with deodorant ???

If the guy was spraying a knock out gas into the aircon wouldn't he also be hit by it ?

DevonDiver - thanks for the heads up. Very uncool and very dangerous, especially to women.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Devon for reposting this otherwise serious thing. Having a wife and daughter, I can understand the gravity of this incident.

I agree, it's a serious matter, worthy of posting, and not the appropriate topic for bad jokes. On the other hand, it's not clear to me how the driver could have deployed an intoxicant without it affecting him as well. The woman who wrote the original blog post is probably being appropriately cautious--sadly--and perhaps her imagination got the better of her...but perhaps not. She was smart to take a well-traveled route, to text the taxi's ID, and to get out as soon as things didn't feel right to her--you have to trust your instincts. Oh, by the way, the problem is not confined to Manila--a close friend of mine was raped by her taxi driver in Baltimore.

On the other hand, it's not clear to me how the driver could have deployed an intoxicant without it affecting him as well.

That is what I am thinking also. Unless he built up a high tolerance.

I read somewhere that for such modus operandi, the taxi driver counteracts the effects of the nauseous gas by drinking lots of water. Anyway, its high time that the matter should be reported to the Land Transportation Office and the Philippine National Police so that the taxi's franchise can be cancelled with the owner investigated. From there the vehicle involved will now be placed on red alert and lookout by the police and the registered owner investigated.

I read somewhere that for such modus operandi, the taxi driver counteracts the effects of the nauseous gas by drinking lots of water. Anyway, its high time that the matter should be reported to the Land Transportation Office and the Philippine National Police so that the taxi's franchise can be cancelled with the owner investigated. From there the vehicle involved will now be placed on red alert and lookout by the police and the registered owner investigated.

What nauseous gas are you talking about that is counteracted by drinking a lot of water ? So if I see someone spraying something into the air con vent I should start gulping down water ?

You want to get the taxi's franchise cancelled because the driver wanting to spray deodorant in his taxi to make his car smell better ?

I honestly think this girl the girl is paranoid with a great imagination, based on reading her other blogs. She is ok attractive but she is not so crazy attractive that a taxi driver is going to risk going to jail trying to rape her. I read her blogs all the way back to 2009 and she definitely has way too much time on her hands and is so caught up in her little world of blogging.

As for her friend being asked by the driver for her number and unhesitatingly invited her to have sex with him. That is a cultural thing. I guess in other countries it is normal for a taxi driver to first ask for a girls telephone number and unhesitatingly invited her to have dinner or movie with him. In the Philippines taxi drivers are straight to the point when it comes to sex. They are not going to waste their time asking a girl to dinner or a movie. They are going to ask the girl to go to the nearest SoGo hotel.

Maybe her friend was from the province and never experienced a taxi driver hitting on her. The guy was in his right to "ask". You are going to crucify the man for just trying to get a little action ?

The meter is not calibrated is a bull**** story. It is just something a cab driver's say to try to squeeze a few more pesos out of the fare. If you told them you will not take the cab and would rather wait for a cab that the meter is calibrated, magic would appear and the meter would now be calibrated. If you still want to take a taxi with out turning in the meter, then agree on the price before. The taxi driver may not want to use the meter because he may have to pay a commission to the company he rented the cab from.

Sure a warning to people taking a cab is a good idea. My suggestion is to carry a spring loaded center punch. It is so much easier to use to break the window out than trying to kick the window out. You can also use it to stab the driver in the neck. It is perfectly legal to carry and fits in your pocket. Also bring a bottle of water with you always to counteract any nauseous gas. LOL.

A year or two back, it had been reported in the papers that there were other taxi drivers employing such modus operandi and based on the recollection of the victims then, they recalled the cab driver having a bottled water and unusually drinking the same while driving. Whether it was just plain purified water or laced with some substances designed to counteract the effect of the gas being sprayed, its really anybody's guess.

But analyzing Kei Contreras' detailed narration of the incident, which was based on her experience, coupled with several incidents in the past which was reported in the papers, as against the hypothesis and conjectures of DonCebu, it would appear that Kei Contreras' narration is more credible and more worthy of credence than DonCebu.

From the foregoing, there's a valuable lesson that can be learned here, namely . . . at times it is better to clam up and zip one's lips rather than open it up and expose one's ignorance . . . especially if there is nothing much constructive inputs to contribute in the first place.

A year or two back, it had been reported in the papers

But analyzing Kei Contreras' detailed narration of the incident, which was based on her experience, coupled with several incidents in the past which was reported in the papers, as against the hypothesis and conjectures of DonCebu, it would appear that Kei Contreras' narration is more credible and more worthy of credence than DonCebu.

From the foregoing, there's a valuable lesson that can be learned here, namely . . . at times it is better to clam up and zip one's lips rather than open it up and expose one's ignorance . . . especially if there is nothing much constructive inputs to contribute in the first place.

Yeah... You should ALWAYS believe what you read in Newspapers from the Philippines.

Kei Contreras' detailed narration of the incident and from reading the rest of her blog, Most Pinoy's reading it can see Kei Contreras is only writing about using a taxi to come off as being hambogira. She is indirectly trying to tell all her other Pinoy readers "look at me.. I can afford to use a taxi".

She is nothing more than a self absorbed drama queen blogger. She even admits on her blog as being a snob. Yes I agree she is a good writer and I find her blog very entertaining. But that is all it is, Entertainment. I read her warning to all who ride cabs and honestly it is not going to stop me from riding in a taxi or going to make me think any different.

But after reading your post I learned a valuable lesson I should always bring a bottle of water with me when riding in a taxi to counteract the effect of the gas being sprayed. So thank you for that valuable info. LOL

Back
Top Bottom