Massive Croc caught in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Interesting story.Largest ever croc caught near Davohttp://uk.news.yahoo.com/philippines-catches-largest-crocodile-record-061040163.html

I don't think the croc is the "largest ever". Pretty reliable accounts of larger salt water crocs and nile crocs have been around. But the problem is that large crocs are pretty old (multidecades) and the intense hunting for crocodile skin pretty much cleaned out the big crocs long ago. At 21', this is the largest croc that has been found for some time.

It made it onto the BBC news...

BBC News - Philippine giant croc captured after three-week hunt

(video there too)

A giant saltwater crocodile weighing more than a tonne has been captured in a remote southern Philippine village following a series of attacks on humans and animals, officials said.Measuring 6.4m (21ft) and weighing 1,075kg (2,370lb), it is the biggest to be caught alive in the Philippines in recent years.
It may also be the biggest specimen ever captured, officials said.
Saltwater crocodiles can live for more than 100 years and grow to 23ft (7m).
Josefina de Leon, wildlife division chief of the environment ministry's protected areas and wildlife bureau, said it was likely to be the biggest crocodile ever captured.
Continue reading the main story[h=2]Saltwater crocodiles[/h]
  • Also known as the estuarine crocodile, it is the world's largest living croc.
  • It is capable of killing any animal or human that strays into its territory.
  • Body length: usually 4.2m-4.8m (13.8ft-15.8ft), although specimens of over 7m (23ft) have been recorded.
  • Weight: Male generally 408-520kg (900lb-1,140lb), but have been known to exceed 1,000kg (2,204lb).
  • Life expectancy: They can live for more than 100 years.
"Based on existing records, the largest that had been captured previously was 5.48m (18ft) long," she told AFP.
"This is the biggest animal that I've handled in 20 years of trapping."
The hunt for the crocodile in the village of Bunawan began in mid-August and it took dozens of local men to secure its capture on Saturday.
But crocodile hunter Rollie Sumiller, who led the hunt, said this reptile may not be the killer they have been looking for after at least one attack on a human was reported in the area.
"We're not really sure if this is the man-eater, because there have been other sightings of other crocodiles in the area," he told AFP.
The captured croc will now become the main attraction at a planned nature park in the area.

probably they could help it abit by providing a more suitable environment than the one they prepared for it. a huge "animal" ka... in a small cell....

if they are able to get the larger one, if it exists.... they say a female, what would they feed it? its a good idea to feed them the "botcha" as they do eat decaying "animal ka". :wink: :eyebrow:

There was a stuffed one in Gladstone Qld (I think) when I was there in 1990 that was over 35ft. Caught in the 50's I think. So they have a long way to go past 21ft!

Don't know about Gladstone. 21 feet, a baby ... about 12 feet shy of the record (as I understand it), one that was collected in the Bay of Bengal in 1850, the skeleton of which I have seen in the British Museum.

Back
Top Bottom