Dive Gear to Bring or Rent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rromero2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I apologize ahead of time if this have been asked before, I am planning on doing some dive in Feb and Mar 2012. No particular location yet but I will research soon. I have about 500 dives logged.

Bringing my gear to the P.I., Will this be a hassle especially if moving from different Dive location or should I just rent. If renting, are the gear rental expensive and are they up to date.

Thank you for your advice.

Gear rental here is not very expensive (6-9 USD/Dive) however the age and quality of the gear vary from resort to resort. The larger operators tend to have decent rental gear. Rental cameras and computers are rare. I always bring my own equipment when I dive (except tanks and weights which are usually included in the price of the dive).

If you are an unusual size, I think at a minimum it is best to bring your own BCD and 3mm Exposure suit.

Like Pao said most larger operators have gear that is acceptable.

I have dragged a Rolling bag all over the philippines and it has never really inconvenienced me. Just make sure when booking inter Island Flights that you know your allowable weight.

Cheers,
Roger

Internal flights usually have limits of 15 kgs on check-in baggage. Carry-on is usually 7 kg but it is not usually weighed. I usually put my regulator in the carry-on to reduce check-in weight.

I have dragged a large rolling duffle around my last two visits without issue. There is always someone who is willing to carry for a few php. I have never taken an internal flight though soI can't speak to that.

If nothing else, I would always bring my own reg. But I agree that most good dive shops should have good quality gear. I traweled my bag around many places and it's ok but if you can do without I would!

However if you want to bring your own gear and are worried about your weight limit, PAL (Philippine airlines) has an option called Sportsplus. If you become a mabuhay member, you pay about 30 dollars (which is not much in the grand scheme of things) and you get an additional 20kg of sports equipment on any internal flight. It's definitely worth it if you travel a lot around the 'peens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom